Dialer name lookup lag

cellman#CB

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone experienced lag when using the dialer to start typing in a contact's name? Once you type a few letters and you see "x" number of contacts and you click to bring up the list of those contacts I see a lot of lag before the contacts show up on the screen. Another person in our office just got an S3 and it has the same problem as well.

The lag seems to get worse if there is a greater "x" number of contacts and you try to bring up that list. The lag seems to get better if there are only a couple of contacts pulling up. I just came from a Samsung Galaxy S 4G and I never had an issues with lag no matter how many contacts came up in the search.

Anybody else experiencing this or have any suggestions?

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Not here, sorry. I tried in my phone book, email and sms. No lag. I have over 300 contacts too.

I've been noticing, IMO, you have to be very careful on what you load onto your phone.

When I got my phone on the 21st, I was so excited, I downloaded all my apps (I used on the SII) and found the SIII to be a little sensitive. I even screwed my touch wiz up. I uninstalled everything and started over. Found out the apps that can make the phone act funny. Also if you have keys for premium apps, you have to make sure to install the base app first, then the key. Have to babysit Google Play and watch what it download and in what order.

Hate to say it, but if you have your contacts on Gmail, you could always hard reset the phone. Try again???

sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII Epic Touch LTE celly...

cellman#CB

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the great idea Rivencap. Just tried it but unfortunately it didn't work. I did the factory reset and only reloaded the 300+ contacts and it still has some lag when searching. Oh well - may just be a little quirk of the phone. Everything else is great though.

Anybody else experiencing this or have any solutions?

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I never use the search like this...but after reading your thread I tried it.

I seem to get the same amount of delay no matter how many contacts I pull up doing the search. it takes about 2 seconds....which is way longer then any other feature on the phone, and it seems like a noticeable delay. don't know of a fix, but i wanted to tell you that you weren't alone. this happens on my device as well :confused:

cellman#CB

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
hoovhartid - how do you normally search for phone numbers? Just scroll through the contact list like you would do with an iPhone?

It is annoying though - the fastest phone out there and it has lag with something as simple as searching for phone numbers!

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
i go to the full list of contacts and run my finder down the right side of the screen...it scrolls through a list of letters a-z allowing me to stop on the first letter of the first name of the person i am trying to call.

I can get to any of my contacts faster this way then most....the only thing faster is going to the favorites or call logs tab and clicking one of my most called people.

cellman#CB

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay - found an awesome fix. Just downloaded exDialer and it works awesome with no lags. I even think it looks better than the stock dialing app. If anyone is having any issue give exDialer a try.

PamelaBB

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
hello
i was experiencing horrible lag when i tried to check my bank balance and had to enter many numbers on the dialer, so bad i couldn't check my balance. thank goodness my bf knows the tech side of things android.

if you are rooted boot into clockwork recovery, wipe cache, go back, go to advanced, and wipe the dalik cache and reboot the phone, and it fixed it for me.

if you aren't rooted i can only suggest that you boot into regular recovery mode by having the phone off and (Press and hold Volume Up, Home Button & Power Button) and choose wipe cache and then choose reboot phone, but that's not how i did it so i can't say it works for sure.

tungsten

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted stock epic 4 g touch from sprint and my dialer lags... I have tried several things but no luck. any suggestions?

pearlsdad

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My Lag had gotten to the point where it wouldn't look up a name at all. I was forced to use the contacts button which is not very efficient. I did what Pamela80 suggested.

1 Boot into regular recovery mode by having the phone off and (Press and hold Volume Up, Home Button & Power Button).
2. Next choose wipe cache and
3. Finally choose reboot phone

It worked like a charm.

cellman#CB

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried want Pamela said but I still have lag. I like exdialer but the problem is if I miss a phone call and click on exdialer it auto pulls up the stock dialing app log. If I hit the back button and go back into exdialer it will actually bring up the exdialer log. Does anyone know how to permanently disable the stock dialer app and stock log?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Mine responds instantly. I type "A", I get all the contacts starting with A. I type "L", the list is instantly limited to those that start with "AL," etc. I don't notice any lag at all.

I also rarely use the Contacts app. I prefer Gesture Search

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze