Is it safe to keep your GS3 on charger all night?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Is it safe to keep your phone on charger all night as you sleep so you can wake up with 100% battery or is it not recommended?

Whenever I charge it then turn it on in the morning it always has less battery than when it finished charging

So I was wondering if could keep it charged all night
Thx in advance
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Is it safe to keep your phone on charger all night as you sleep so you can wake up with 100% battery or is it not recommended?

Whenever I charge it then turn it on in the morning it always has less battery than when it finished charging

So I was wondering if could keep it charged all night
Thx in advance

Depends on who you talk to. I have always plugged my phones (and tablets) in overnight, and have never had an issue.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Depends on who you talk to. I have always plugged my phones (and tablets) in overnight, and have never had an issue.

I remember with my htc touch pro2, if I kept it on all night, it would stop charging when finished but keep the charging light on, and it would drain the battery about 10? by time I got up

I'm not sure how it's going to work on my GS3.

Is your phone staying at 100% overnight?

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I remember with my htc touch pro2, if I kept it on all night, it would stop charging when finished but keep the charging light on, and it would drain the battery about 10? by time I got up

I'm not sure how it's going to work on my GS3.

Is your phone staying at 100% overnight?

It usually goes down to 99 when I unplug it, depending on how long it's been fully charged.
My EVO 4G used to charge to 100, then run off of the battery. I'd unplug it and it would drop to about 95. Drove me nuts.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
It usually goes down to 99 when I unplug it, depending on how long it's been fully charged.
My EVO 4G used to charge to 100, then run off of the battery. I'd unplug it and it would drop to about 95. Drove me nuts.

Lmao, i guess it's some htc battery issue

I'm charging my phone now and probably will be awake for the next half hour and it's at 78% atm, so I guess I won't need to run this experiment tonight lol...

firelightx

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
All of the above are actually normal things for a battery to do.

The best way I can think of this is to have you think of your battery like a balloon. If you fill a balloon up to 100% (as in, one more puff of air and it pops) then it's going to be a very... fragile balloon. Not a very safe place to be. It's much better for the balloon to be at about 90% capacity, cause that gives it some wiggle room.

Batteries are in fact designed to work the same way. The charger will get them up to 100%, but it's not healthy for the battery to stay at a full 100% all the time. So the charger lets it drop to somewhere between 90-95% (depending on the manufacturer) and keeps it steady there.

Now, most people would see that, and think that their charger is broken. They'd go nuts, yell at sales clerks, etc. So.. the manufacturers have programmed the phones to report 100% at first and then steadily drop down until they've caught up with reality. It's.. a bit of a lie, but it keeps a vast majority of inattentive customers from complaining about something that is actually designed to prolong the life of your battery. This is why the first 10% always seems to go much faster than the rest.

So. Everyone in this thread, and all the varied reports, have nothing to worry about. That's all well within normal operating parameters for a battery. The variances are due to different manufacturers and their various beliefs in what's a comfortable level to stabilize a battery at.

To the OP: Charge your device every night, if that's what pleases you. It's designed to last longest that way (i.e. will last you years instead of months) and will ensure that when you start your day, your device is topped off and ready to keep up with you. Studies I've read claim that a battery that is never allowed to drop below 50% will last 3 times longer over the years than a battery that is regularly drained to 0. Obviously it's not -bad- to let it drop to 0. It's just better to keep it from doing so. (Note, this is only true of the newer Li-Ion batterys found in cell phones. Older Ni-Cad batterys had that memory problem that is so infamous. Cell phone batteries do not)

Last edited:

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering this as well since I get the notification telling me "phone fully charged, unplug charger"

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I leave mine plugged ib all night and it is at 100% in the morning. Ive always charged my phones that way.

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk

jbarrack

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I leave mine plugged in all night and I've never had an issue.

My Galaxy Nexus never once in the 8 months I had it displayed 100% battery on a third-party status bar indicator app. Every morning after a full nights charge it would display between 98%-96% full. So firelightx's post makes sense seeing as though Samsung has now built into their OS the ability to display battery life on the status bar from within Touchwiz.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been wondering this as well since I get the notification telling me "phone fully charged, unplug charger"

That message isn't to protect the battery or the charger. It is an energy saving suggestion because as long as the charger is plugged into the wall plug, even if no battery is being charged, the charger uses a bit of electricity. The message on my Droid Bionic actually included the energy saving notice with the "unplug the charger" notice.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I leave mine plugged ib all night and it is at 100% in the morning. Ive always charged my phones that way.

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk

Same here! I usually go to bed around 12am and when I wake up at 6:30am, the phone is at a FULL 100%.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I charge mine before bed each night and in the car in the morning and afternoon. At the office, I leave it on the charger when I am sitting at my desk. Absolutely no problems with this or any smartphone that I have ever owned. Make sure that it is compatible with the GS3 so as to prevent any potential fire risk.