Bluetooth doesn't work on calls when audio jack is used.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I drive a truck for a living, and while I am driving I have my phone plugged into the aux plug on my stereo so I can stream music, talk shows, etc. while I am driving. The problem comes in when I recieve a phone call the phone will not send the call to my bluetooth headset, but instead sends it over the stereo until I unplug the aux cable from the phone. Is there a fix for this or a setting I am missing to fix this issue? Its very frustrating to have to unplug my phone for a call and plug it back in for everything else, and my old evo 4g handled this like a champ sending all calls directly to the bluetooth if it was turned on. Suggestions highly appreciated!

P.S. my bluetooth headset is a jawbone era incase it matters. Thanks!

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be having the same issue, I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I saw this thread. My headset was working the day before but I didn't have the audio jack in use. And I tried it with my crappy old moto headset and found the same results. I really see this as an unacceptable flaw. I hope I just missed a setting. i will try out some stuff when I get a chance to see if there is a setting for that.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I just confirmed with Samsung's technical support that is in fact the case. The phone will not route calls to a bluetooth device as long as an audio cable is connected to the audio jack. This is a problem and may end up requiring me to return the phone. How could Samsung overlook such an important, yet small detail?

ImaDroidFan

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. When playing Pandora using the headset and trying to answer a phone call I can't even hear the person on the other side of the call. It is a pain in the rear to pull the plug while driving to answer the call. If this is true Samsung did miss a small details with a big impact to many individuals.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine works just fine with bluetooth and aux jack connected. I used that daily to stream my downloaded podcasts. When a calls comes the podcast is automatically paused and I answer call on the bluetooth. Are your settings correct for bluetooth? On my Motorola H730bluetooth settings, I have a check mark on "Use for phone audio."

lair12

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This is also discussed here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ts-headphone-jack-car-defaults-bluetooth.html

and

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28878640#post28878640

If you use your built-in bluetooth (not a remote headset) there are no options such as use phone audio only, and you cannot hear the caller. Major error on Samsung's part that can hopefully be fixed. I don't understand why the phone would not send the phone call audio to the bluetooth device.

Of course, what exacerbates the problem is that when the car makes the bluetooth call, it mutes the aux input as an over-ride. I don't think this can be changed anywhere in the car settings, at least for me (Audi A3 w/o MMI).

Last edited:

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have this same frustrating issue. Has anyone on here gotten any feedback that Samsung plans to correct this issue? Or, do I have to either just deal with it or return the phone?

Reactions: alex94z

alex94z

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have this same frustrating issue. Has anyone on here gotten any feedback that Samsung plans to correct this issue? Or, do I have to either just deal with it or return the phone?

I currently have the Galaxy S Epic 4g and it has this issue. We have been complaining to Samsung since it came out. Galaxy S II also has this issue. I think it's safe to say Samsung does not see it as a problem and will probably never fix this.

lair12

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the Galaxy S Epic 4g and it has this issue. We have been complaining to Samsung since it came out. Galaxy S II also has this issue. I think it's safe to say Samsung does not see it as a problem and will probably never fix this.

I can fully confirm the functionality of the Belkin F8Z492TTP. It is now custom installed in my A3 with a direct power hookup and direct connection to the aux input. For power, I had to hook up a 12 volt car outlet behind the dash, insert a 12v to usb adapter, and splice the power cord from the factory transformer to a USB cable. Power is with a micro type H plug that Radio Shack does not have. They should give you a usb to type H cable with it.

Anyway, the Galaxy S3 will connect to two bluetooth devices at the same time...the Audi bluetooth and the Belkin Y37 Bluetooth. I put a shortcut button for bluetooth on my home screen which pulls up the options. You DO HAVE TO RECONNECT BLUETOOTH each time you get in the car, but you had to manually plug in the cable the other way.

When a call is made, the car bluetooth takes over with full steering wheel controls, and when it ends, the audio goes back on (I think automatically). Since I have constant power to the Belkin through the 12v, if you step away and then come back, you can automatically regain your connection, which is nice.

I did the modification to the Belkin where I broke it carefully open and pulled the metal innards that are purely designed to give it a feeling of mass. All that is inside is a teeny circuit board that must have cost $1 tops! Belkin lists this at $50, although it is half that on Amazon.

All in all, a decent solution to a frustrating problem. Sound is pretty decent.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

That's what I was afraid of. I still have 2.5 weeks left to return the phone. I'm going to try some of those bluetooth adapter solutions that people have been mentioning. If I can coordinate a set-up that works for me, then I'll keep the phone. Otherwise, I don't know what the fate of my beloved GS3 will be. If I have to give it up, I'll transition to the EVOLTE. I know the HTC phone will work properly.

Oh, and I'm disappointed to learn that this issue has persisted since the original Galaxy model. I contacted Samsung (via Facebook) over the weekend to ask would a "fix" be prepared, and, if not, please explain why. The response was that this issue hadn't been presented before now, but that they'd look into it. I responded that I'd be waiting. And then today, I got the following response:

Samsung Support wrote: "M.b. to clarify - Unfortunately, AUX and Bluetooth together will not work with your device. We have had luck with some of our customers using hands free in conjunction with an A2DP profile. You might want to try pairing 2 Bluetooth profiles together to enable audio and calling. I apologize for any inconveniences. We will keep you posted on any updates. Thank you!"

WE SHOULD ALL CONTACT SAMSUNG DIRECTLY VIA FACEBOOK, SAMSUNG CARES APP, OR THEIR WEBSITE!

Last edited:

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I've also sent them an e-mail explaining how it was ridiculous for the passengers in my car to have to listen to both side of the phone conversation. Think of being in a cab and having to listen to the driver's whole conversation.

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
This really does suck.

We have had luck with some of our customers using hands free in conjunction with an A2DP profile. You might want to try pairing 2 Bluetooth profiles together to enable audio and calling. I apologize for any inconveniences.

What exactly does that mean and how do you do it? I use a standard Plantronics bluetooth headset for calls and a cassette adapter plugged into the headphone jack for music. Yeah, my car is old :)

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
This really does suck.

What exactly does that mean and how do you do it? I use a standard Plantronics bluetooth headset for calls and a cassette adapter plugged into the headphone jack for music. Yeah, my car is old :)

The car's bluetooth profile is called "handsfree profile" and a bluetooth headset that can stream music generally has an "A2DP profile." He was recommending that I buy a bluetooth headset (BH) like the HTC bluetooth music adapter or the Samsung HS3000 (which connects to the auxiliary port in my car) and pair the phone with both the BH and the car. That way, my calls will route to the car as they should and the music will route to the BH.

Last edited:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Plantronics headset and I am having the same issues. Call audio plays through the speakers when plugged into aux and the internal mic is used. This is not good. I also cannot connect the phone to 2 BT devices at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shaggy26

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm just now researching this issue and can add a few of my own facts.
This is my 4th smart phone. And on all three previous phones, I have NOT had this problem.
My first phone was the original Droid from Motorola. Worked fine with blue tooth. I could play music from my phone, and when a call came in, the music was muted and I could take the call over blue tooth. My next phone was the I phone, It worked the same way no problem. My third phone was a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Same thing, it worked just fine. When a call comes in, it mutes the music and goes back after I hang up.

My current phone, the galaxy s-3 will NOT let me take a call via blue tooth. The phone pairs to my car automatically, as did all the previous phones, but will not let me use hands free blue tooth, unless I unplug the damn cable! Annoying and unsafe!

This is a Samsung defect for sure and should be fixable via software if they so desired! Honestly, I am annoyed to no end. Who knows maybe if they don't fix this, I will get an IPHONE 5. Samsung is not known for listening to their customers! Or maybe someone will get in a car accident, kill themselves messing with their phone and the family will sue them and then they may consider fixing it.

But this is a Samsung screw up for sure. My Samsung Galaxy Nexus did NOT have this problem, nor did the first droid ever sold, as slow as that thing was.

I like my S3 but this is a deal breaker issue for sure.
N.

alex94z

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm just now researching this issue and can add a few of my own facts.
This is my 4th smart phone. And on all three previous phones, I have NOT had this problem.
My first phone was the original Droid from Motorola. Worked fine with blue tooth. I could play music from my phone, and when a call came in, the music was muted and I could take the call over blue tooth. My next phone was the I phone, It worked the same way no problem. My third phone was a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Same thing, it worked just fine. When a call comes in, it mutes the music and goes back after I hang up.

My current phone, the galaxy s-3 will NOT let me take a call via blue tooth. The phone pairs to my car automatically, as did all the previous phones, but will not let me use hands free blue tooth, unless I unplug the damn cable! Annoying and unsafe!

This is a Samsung defect for sure and should be fixable via software if they so desired! Honestly, I am annoyed to no end. Who knows maybe if they don't fix this, I will get an IPHONE 5. Samsung is not known for listening to their customers! Or maybe someone will get in a car accident, kill themselves messing with their phone and the family will sue them and then they may consider fixing it.

But this is a Samsung screw up for sure. My Samsung Galaxy Nexus did NOT have this problem, nor did the first droid ever sold, as slow as that thing was.

I like my S3 but this is a deal breaker issue for sure.
N.

I agree with you 100%. I'm holding out for the new Iphone because of this issue.