help with annoying android bugs/issues

allanmclovin

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: unacceptable fatal android flaws making me regret my purchase

I think the original poster should go back to his iPhone... :confused:

I currently have an iPhone (waiting for my S3 to be delivered today) and I have to point out that 1 & 2 are the same on the iPhone. I am not sure which phone operating systems don't operate this way, but my iPhone volume controls definitely control the ringer first and if I get a text when I am plugged into my car stereo, the audio will lower so it can play the alert through the car speakers.

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

How can you not select text from a webpage? You just press on the screen for a moment and brackets will show up to allow you to select text.

mousr

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

I just got my GS3 from UK.

I have worked with SamsungS, BlackberrIES, and iPhoneS.

The volume rocker keys ShoulD control the volume in the application which is active (i.e Music volume if media is played, ringer volume if on the home screen. earpiece/headset volume if on a call, etc.). On the iPhone, you can go to Settings-Sound, and disable Ringer control by the keys. Blackberry has profiles (while tedious to initially setup, it is a great feature).

Can anyone help me? I have two questions:

I bought an iPhone 4S for my wife from UK. I am unable to setup Face Time. After talking to Apple advanced support (very expensive), the issue is about logging onto the FaceTime servers in the US with international Firmware (handshake and encryption issue).

1. Does anyone know of any issues with an international GS3 on US servers?

My biggest (and the most Important requirement) is to sync all my data with Microsoft Outlook (PST file). I am constantly updating Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Tasks, (everything). Outlook PST file is the most used file (3 -5 times a day) on my laptop. Blackberry Desktop Sync with Outlook (if anyone has done it), seems to work best because it not only informs me what data is changed, but also asks me to select the data to keep on both (phone and Outlook) if the data has changed.

2. Does anyone know if GS3 does any of this? Are there any issues with that?

Thank you so much.

QuantumPion

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

How can you not select text from a webpage? You just press on the screen for a moment and brackets will show up to allow you to select text.

When trying to select text in a text box such as this forum's editor. For example if I wanted to deleted the quote part of this reply, I have to put the first cursor at the beginning of the "[QUOTE=..."and the end cursor at the end quote. But this is glitched - the arrows won't go where I click them or they won't actually select the text that is in between them half the time.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Audio Manager has a great widget to control all of your volume levels.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.

THAT's the one I was looking for! I couldn't remember the name of it when I was posting my suggestions earlier.

QuantumPion

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I apologize for the trollish thread title. I'm just frustrated with these bugs coming from an iphone. :-[

I edited the title and original post to be less flamish because I really am looking for solutions not "go back to iphone ya pansy" comments (which is the type of attitude that really turns people away from OSS in general).

Last edited:

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

I apologize for the trollish thread title. I'm just frustrated with these bugs coming from an iphone. :-[

Lol, it goes both ways. My wife has an iPhone and it annoys the hell out of me...:D

Just keep in mind that the quality of responses you get is directly related to how you ask the question. There are those on both sides of the fence that have some deeply held philosophical views regarding iOS v. Android, so when you come in guns blazing with a thread title like that you get more of a Religion and Politics discussion than actual help.

Good luck getting your issues ironed out!

ifp

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
There are some people around here that will never give you a chance just because you've had an iPhone. And even more that are going to flame you for pointing out bugs/issues/poor design within Android, or even a manufacturer's modification of Android. I've experienced the edit box bug you speak of. (I'm running CyanogenMod 7 on an HTC EVO 4G currently) As a potential (painful) workaround, you could edit the text in a text editor app then paste it in. I usually just skip posting from my phone's web browser.

I think in the long run, you'll find Android to be a great experience. It has its ups and downs, but almost every negative can be fixed if you're willing to tinker a little!

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

svmtoo,

1. The issue with the international one will be more about what carrier you want to use.it is GSM only ans so that limits you to ATT and T-Mo. Other then that i have never heard anyone talk about issues with connectivity to services. The issue with the iphone is more because you are locked into Aapples little world of connectivity.

2. When it comes to this kind of stuff BB has generally been king. I am thinking more so if you are talking about local PST on your work computer. But if you are talking about exchange server with Active sync, Android is still pretty awesome. I love the fact i can move emails and such between folders on the server that I couldn't do with my old BB9000

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz