Will the korean galaxy s3 work in the us?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what bands it works on?

Will it be fully functional on at&t?

So now that the whole "quad core cpu's don't work with lte" argument is proven false, why isn't the us version a quad core?

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know that too! If Samsung knew they could pair the quad core chips with LTE... why didn't we get them???

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I wish gsm providers were TRULY compatible so we could just switch sim cards without worrying about "will this technology work on this phone like it worked on that one?"

Like t mobile and their 1700 bands not working for 3g anywhere else!

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
It was always known that the next version of the quad core chip would support LTE. I suspect the Korean version is shipping with this new iteration of the chip. It does not mean that they lied when they said the version shipping in the US couldn't support LTE, it means that progress marches on.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It was always known that the next version of the quad core chip would support LTE. I suspect the Korean version is shipping with this new iteration of the chip. It does not mean that they lied when they said the version shipping in the US couldn't support LTE, it means that progress marches on.

But it does mean that it was very much possible to have lte on a quad core phone.

So close to release date at that. Not even a whole month.

It would have made more sense to make ours quad core too.

Then I knew that wasn't the reason because t mobile doesn't even have lte, yet theirs is still dual core.

Zaisaroni

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
The reason for a dual core S4 is because the LTE radio is integrated into the system on a chip. This has huge power savings over the Exynos + seperate LTE radio solution. LTE could always work with it, but it doesn't give the same battery life.

Dual Core/Quad core isn't the problem, the S4 even beats the Exynos in a few places, it is the Adreno GPU where we can't keep up with the Mali in the Exynos phones.

abot

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The reason why the Korean version works with LTE is because the LTE radio is separate from proc rather than being integrated. That explains why the Korean version is increased in thickness by 0.4mm, to 9mm.

FYI - The battery of the Korean version is the same 2,100mAh version found everywhere else.

In addition to the quad-core processor + LTE support, Korean GS3 models also sport a DMB TV antenna for DMB which will not work in the US. DMB uses VHF and UHF frequencies. DMB is unavailable in the United States because those frequencies are allocated for television broadcasting and military applications.

The Korean version of the GS3 also supports Voice over LTE, which all three major Korean carriers plan to roll out the service towards the end of 2012.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz