iPhone 4S - HTC One X - Galaxy S3 Comparison

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been testing both the HTC One X and the Samsung Galaxy S3 and have been comparing both along with the iPhone 4S. iPhone is still better in quality and variety of apps and is a much better email device than any Android phone for Microsoft Exchange which I depend heavily on for work. Gmail of course works best on the Android but I'm fine with getting my Gmail using the iPhone's Mail app. Also, since I'm a Mac user (also have the iPad and a MacBook Air 2012), iPhone integrates nicely with the whole eco-system with iMessage, Photo Stream, and iCloud. I did however find excellent alternatives to these services for Android such as Drop Box for Photo Syncing which is much better than Photo Stream because I can access the data without having to have any software installed to access my data by using any web browser. And also Air Droid which allows me to send text messages, access photos and contacts from my phone with any web browser.

The HTC One X has a better screen than iPhone 4S and Samsung S3. Build quality on the One X is superior to the Galaxy and is at the level of the iPhone 4S. The Galaxy S3 feels like a cheap plastic phone. Unfortunately the HTC One X doesn't have an MicroSD card slot for memory expandability and the camera produces mediocre photos.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 however wins in having the best camera of the three and having that MicroSD slot comes in really handy. Although the screen quality isn't as great as the iPhone's and the HTC One X, it's not as bad as I or any other reviewer makes it sound, AMOLED displays can still hang with the big boys.

Sense 4.0 to me on the HTC One X is much better to look at and navigate through than Samsung's stupid Touch Wiz. I hate Touch Wiz with a passion, but some people like it just as they hate Sense. I might be biased in this because I've been a fan of Sense since the Windows Mobile days. But when it comes down to simplicity, iOS on the iPhone (I'm using iOS6) is so easy to use and is very straight forward. The ease of use and the plain looking operating system is probably the biggest reason why people get bored with it and want to venture into using an Android based device. It's true, iOS is boring but most people use smartphones only for text, email, social networks, music, and to browse the web and the iPhone does all of these very well. Nothing fancy, no need to customize, and don't need a widget.

Both the Samsung Galaxy and HTC One X are as fast and smooth in navigating through the phone as the iPhone 4S, I actually feel that they are both faster. And if you live in an area that supports 4G LTE, the you're in for a treat on how you fast you can grab data off the internet, download/post photos, and stream music over the air without having any buffering issues! Also, the larger display screens (especially on the HTC One X) are great for viewing photos and for reading. After using the HTC One X for about a week, it's hard going back to the iPhone.

My recommendation at this point is that if you don't have an iPhone 4S right now because you can't wait a few months and want a phone that supports a fast network and has a great camera, I would go for the Samsung Galaxy S3 because of all of those reasons. It may might not have the build quality and the screen of the HTC One X but to me, that MicroSD card slot and camera are huge selling points. If you have an iPhone 4S right now, just wait a few months too see what the next generation iPhone has to offer and then make your decision. The iPhone 4S is still a great phone for 2012 so don't make any rash decisions at this moment unless you are really that bored and underwhelmed with how iOS6 is so far.

To be honest, you can't really go wrong with any of these phones and it's a matter of preference and how you want to use your mobile device. I like the Galaxy and the HTC One X because they are fun to customize and I can make the phone operate how I want it to. The larger screen and LTE capabilities of these phones make a huge difference especially when on the road where WiFi isn't always available. I like the iPhone 4S because of its simplicity, apps, and how it's a great smartphone overall. The iPhone may not be the best phone at the moment depending on who you talk to, but it definitely has set the bar for mobile devices which is why we are getting awesome gadgets like the HTC One X and the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Sorry for the crappy photo! Taken with an iPad 3!

Reactions: Splange

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
. Build quality on the One X is superior to the Galaxy and is at the level of the iPhone 4S. The Galaxy S3 feels like a cheap plastic phone.

.... the Samsung Galaxy S3...... may might not have the build quality...

You write well, and I wouldn't ever bag on you for your opinion.

I'm just wondering what the quotes above are based on.

just how it feels on your hand?

I ask because you are not the only person to write this. I have read many reviews that state the "build quality of the Samsung is inferior to ______" but I have not seen any reason listed other then "feel"

I guess for me, I don't see HTC's polycarbonite being any better then or worse then Samsungs polycarbonite ...even though samsungs is refered to as "cheep plastic.

I also don't see the iphone being built better then HTC or Samsung. In fact I prefer that the back of my device isn't made out of a glass with lower breaking strength then the gorilla glass on the front. I prefer it not to be glass at all, for it's one less thing to break.

Again, reviews are opinions and you are entitled to yours. i appreciate the write up because many people will ask the very question you decided to write about. (which phone is better HTC 1X, Apple iPhone 4s, or Samsung GS3)

My only confusion comes from the term "build quality" being confused with "ergonomics"...or something to that nature. IMO "build quality" isn't a term used for how it feels, but a term used for materials used and durability in a stressed environment.....but then, I guess that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I appreciate your time.

Dissident

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
"At least we all know you have an ipad 3 now though!"

This made me lol...:)

I also agree on the build quality statement abt how you came to this conclusion. Build Quality leads one to think of durability / wear n tear. What testing did you do with these three phones and what was your grading criteria?

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
From someone that has had the SGS3 and the Evo LTE, the SGS3 is by far the superior phone. And just to clarify, I am coming from both Evo's.

The screen on the SGS3 is better than the Evo's if for no other reason it doesn't waste real estate because it doesn't have a Menu button. The Evo has the stupid Settings button on the screen. What a waste. But on top of that, to me, the screen is easier on the eyes.

As far as build quality, my wife dropped her SGS3 on our driveway, which is concrete with pebbles, and you can't tell where it hit. I was shocked, because she was still considering returning it and I thought that was no longer a possibility, but no, it's still pristine, so the next time someone talks about build quality, send them here. It may feel cheap, but it can more than hold it's own.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Mikhailov

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
From someone that has had the SGS3 and the Evo LTE, the SGS3 is by far the superior phone. And just to clarify, I am coming from both Evo's.

The screen on the SGS3 is better than the Evo's if for no other reason it doesn't waste real estate because it doesn't have a Menu button. The Evo has the stupid Settings button on the screen. What a waste. But on top of that, to me, the screen is easier on the eyes.

As far as build quality, my wife dropped her SGS3 on our driveway, which is concrete with pebbles, and you can't tell where it hit. I was shocked, because she was still considering returning it and I thought that was no longer a possibility, but no, it's still pristine, so the next time someone talks about build quality, send them here. It may feel cheap, but it can more than hold it's own.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

question for you: why is your wife considering a return? is the phone to big in the hand or something else?

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Really don't agree about the One x having this better build quality than the s3. The iphone beats both in build quality, but i prefer the s3 to the One X in that area. Got my s3 on Thursday and while in the store had a chance to see and hold both. And i must say in my opinion the s3 feels and looks better. I don't know what it is, but the One x build just feels and looks weird. It kinda has too much going on, to many parts...i dunno.The One X's screen takes the cake, but the s3 screen is by no means bad. In fact its quite good to me. All in all it comes down to personal preference i guess.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
very nice summary raziel! i feel the exact same way. i'm currently using the 4s, but i've had my eyes of these 2 android phones as they are simply the best in the market right now, other than the Galaxy Nexus which is probably the best of any android cuz it's straight vanilla and will see JB first. i'm just not sold on the iPhone 5, and I have a feeling once it's released, I'll be back on Android cuz it will disappoint once again. well see, but its hard to stay patient when your bored to tears from being on iOS.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Really don't agree about the One x having this better build quality than the s3. The iphone beats both in build quality, but i prefer the s3 to the One X in that area. Got my s3 on Thursday and while in the store had a chance to see and hold both. And i must say in my opinion the s3 feels and looks better. I don't know what it is, but the One x build just feels and looks weird. It kinda has too much going on, to many parts...i dunno.The One X's screen takes the cake, but the s3 screen is by no means bad. In fact its quite good to me. All in all it comes down to personal preference i guess.

yup, it really is all about personal preference. after all, your mobile device is a personal choice that only you can decide if it fits your needs or not. i held an S3 the other day at a Sprint store, and I have to say it felt very very nice in hand. almost felt like it was smaller than the one x, yet the S3 has the larger screen.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
From someone that has had the SGS3 and the Evo LTE, the SGS3 is by far the superior phone.

I'm genuinely curious as to how you came that conclusion after a day with the EVO given the below. Are there other problems you were having with it?

I just switched out today from the SG3 to the LTE, and it was exactly because of the slow data. My 3D was pretty fast, but the SG3 is very frustrating. Other than the slow data problems it's a great phone, but I use my phone for data too often to deal with the speed difference.

My wife still has the SG3, and in side-by-side tests, I was downloading apps at the same time, and EVERY single time the SG3 took twice as long to download the same app as the LTE. Every single time.

wilfreb

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
My GS3 does not feels cheap, its a well made hi-end and durable phone.

ToucWiz is the most user friendly Android launcher, so your hate is personal, you must prefer the boring ios interface.

Those are your opinions, i respect that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Tampaguy75

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Something so much more than "build quality" for me is how the phone feels in the hand. Ever since Iphone 4, I have thought that the boxy build of the iphone did not feel good in the hand. The Galaxy S3 definitely feels better in the hand. Ironically, it's so thin, that using a case on it feels even better.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have never been a fan of the uni-body design which is a loser from a design perspective IMO. Being accustomed to the removable battery cover that allows memory expansion and removing the battery of the BB9810, I prefer the design of the GS3. With the GS3, onboard storage can be expanded by 64 GB while only 32GB on my BB9810 whereas on the i4s and HOX, both of which are great devices that appeal to different needs and preferences, there is no opportunity for memory expansion.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been testing both the HTC One X and the Samsung Galaxy S3 and have been comparing both along with the iPhone 4S. iPhone is still better in quality and variety of apps and is a much better email device than any Android phone for Microsoft Exchange which I depend heavily on for work. Gmail of course works best on the Android but I'm fine with getting my Gmail using the iPhone's Mail app. Also, since I'm a Mac user (also have the iPad and a MacBook Air 2012), iPhone integrates nicely with the whole eco-system with iMessage, Photo Stream, and iCloud. I did however find excellent alternatives to these services for Android such as Drop Box for Photo Syncing which is much better than Photo Stream because I can access the data without having to have any software installed to access my data by using any web browser. And also Air Droid which allows me to send text messages, access photos and contacts from my phone with any web browser.

The HTC One X has a better screen than iPhone 4S and Samsung S3. Build quality on the One X is superior to the Galaxy and is at the level of the iPhone 4S. The Galaxy S3 feels like a cheap plastic phone. Unfortunately the HTC One X doesn't have an MicroSD card slot for memory expandability and the camera produces mediocre photos.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 however wins in having the best camera of the three and having that MicroSD slot comes in really handy. Although the screen quality isn't as great as the iPhone's and the HTC One X, it's not as bad as I or any other reviewer makes it sound, AMOLED displays can still hang with the big boys.

Sense 4.0 to me on the HTC One X is much better to look at and navigate through than Samsung's stupid Touch Wiz. I hate Touch Wiz with a passion, but some people like it just as they hate Sense. I might be biased in this because I've been a fan of Sense since the Windows Mobile days. But when it comes down to simplicity, iOS on the iPhone (I'm using iOS6) is so easy to use and is very straight forward. The ease of use and the plain looking operating system is probably the biggest reason why people get bored with it and want to venture into using an Android based device. It's true, iOS is boring but most people use smartphones only for text, email, social networks, music, and to browse the web and the iPhone does all of these very well. Nothing fancy, no need to customize, and don't need a widget.

Both the Samsung Galaxy and HTC One X are as fast and smooth in navigating through the phone as the iPhone 4S, I actually feel that they are both faster. And if you live in an area that supports 4G LTE, the you're in for a treat on how you fast you can grab data off the internet, download/post photos, and stream music over the air without having any buffering issues! Also, the larger display screens (especially on the HTC One X) are great for viewing photos and for reading. After using the HTC One X for about a week, it's hard going back to the iPhone.

My recommendation at this point is that if you don't have an iPhone 4S right now because you can't wait a few months and want a phone that supports a fast network and has a great camera, I would go for the Samsung Galaxy S3 because of all of those reasons. It may might not have the build quality and the screen of the HTC One X but to me, that MicroSD card slot and camera are huge selling points. If you have an iPhone 4S right now, just wait a few months too see what the next generation iPhone has to offer and then make your decision. The iPhone 4S is still a great phone for 2012 so don't make any rash decisions at this moment unless you are really that bored and underwhelmed with how iOS6 is so far.

To be honest, you can't really go wrong with any of these phones and it's a matter of preference and how you want to use your mobile device. I like the Galaxy and the HTC One X because they are fun to customize and I can make the phone operate how I want it to. The larger screen and LTE capabilities of these phones make a huge difference especially when on the road where WiFi isn't always available. I like the iPhone 4S because of its simplicity, apps, and how it's a great smartphone overall. The iPhone may not be the best phone at the moment depending on who you talk to, but it definitely has set the bar for mobile devices which is why we are getting awesome gadgets like the HTC One X and the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Sorry for the crappy photo! Taken with an iPad 3!

I saw this posted on a different fruit related forum by you, and I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. Great comparisons.

Reactions: Almeuit

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Interesting commentary. Agree with most of it. I don't think the One X has as good a build quality as the 4s and the 4s screen is still a little sharper although its of course smaller.
No way does the S 3 have a better camera than the 4S which has superior hardware and most importantly software which seems like an afterthought to Samsung.
I was surprised to find that the Samsung does not feel cheap to me. Every other Samsung phone has but this one feels fine. Love the big screen and slim rounded profile.
Need to replace the rom to get rid of Touchwiz. They have toned it down some but its still awful.
I still see a little lag on the S III which is disappointing but not anything like as bad as it used to be. 4.1 will be even better in this regard.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nice well thought out post Chrisxe. I already have a S3 but I enjoyed the read! :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463