iTunes Music Transfer

yoon82

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

I've waited a long time for the right smartphone and was beyond thrilled when I started hearing word on the SIII. I've spent the last week tweaking and reading up on the phone and am quite impressed with it, despite a few set backs. (Nothing is perfect. :] )

I have an extensive collection of music stored on iTunes/iPod Touch and have been looking for a convenient and efficient way to transfer/convert my songs and playlist, but haven't had any success.

Kies- Takes a ridiculous amount of time transferring files. At times, the program doesn't seem to recognize iTunes.

Easy Sync- Apparently, it's only available in the UK. I tried downloading it to see if it would work in the States, and while it does recognize my device, a message pops up saying there is an issue with the connection. I can't seem to get beyond that.

I've read other forums and articles on other programs, but nothing seems to transfer playlists effortlessly.

I'm not the most computer savvy person, but I am trying to learn. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

yoon82

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea, that's the "Easy Sync" I was talking about. (Got the name wrong... Sorry!)

It's gotten great reviews, but I haven't been able to get it to work. :'(

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What I do is hook my phone up via USB, then highlight the music I want on my android (rezound right now...) Right click and copy, the paste into music file on android. Are you looking for something more automatic?

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

yoon82

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice to have something that's more automatic. I have several playlists in my iPod Touch and would take awhile for me to recreate those... :(

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from an iphone 3GS and was able to get all my photos, music, and sms messages on my GS3.

For music your best bet is to use the iSyncr app. They have one for mac or pc. For an extra dollar you can get the wireless add-on which I did. I works really well, transferred all album covers and even converted and the encrypted music files. If you get the wireless add-on it will sync all new music with just a push of a button. I will sort by playlist too I believe.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DoubleTwist and Air Sync is what you want. You might want to see if you can get a sale. DoubleTwist is free but Air Sync is $4.99 (i got it on sale for $.99). I also got the podcasts app so my podcasts go directly to my phone (also $4.99). You can subscribe to podcasts in Doubletwist and then Air Sync them (that works pretty well also). If you still like to use iTunes (lots of content) for your music then DoubleTwist can check that folder for new music and it will keep it synced up. Highly recommended.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
DoubleTwist and Air Sync is what you want. You might want to see if you can get a sale. DoubleTwist is free but Air Sync is $4.99 (i got it on sale for $.99). I also got the podcasts app so my podcasts go directly to my phone (also $4.99). You can subscribe to podcasts in Doubletwist and then Air Sync them (that works pretty well also). If you still like to use iTunes (lots of content) for your music then DoubleTwist can check that folder for new music and it will keep it synced up. Highly recommended.

How hard is double twist and air sync to use? I have both, but never tried to use them. Another option is to use Google Music, but that's a data killer. Unless you have unlimited.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
None of these will work if you have older iTunes music that is protected by drm though will they? For music that is not drm protected you can just go to my documents, iTunes folder, then music sub folder and drag your music to your phone via mass storage USB connection.

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
For DRM music, just burn the file to a cd as a regular audio cd, then rip them iff the cd as mp3's either in itunes or windows media player, thats what i did. No more itunes for me.

phxrick

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I am using isyncr and isyncr WiFi. It allows you to sync to your iTunes including playlist. It also updates your play counts. Having both programs allows sync via USB or via WiFi. Isyncr only allows sync via USB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am using isyncr and isyncr WiFi. It allows you to sync to your iTunes including playlist. It also updates your play counts. Having both programs allows sync via USB or via WiFi. Isyncr only allows sync via USB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I second the isyncr use. It is incredibly easy to use. I have 3 phones and 2 tablets setup with it. It takes a while for initial syncing, but my wife is not very computer savy and uses it.

Sent from another galaxy... Tab 2 10.1

Dkdude

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I use windows media player, sync tab on the right, drag whatever music I want and hit sync. Maybe have WMP populate is library with your iTunes folders. Not sure if that will help now but for future transfers maybe?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Add another for DoubleTwist. It will sync your playlists as you have them in iTunes. I went through each and every song I had and removed the DRM so they all would sync. PITA, yes. But it was worth it to know I can get away from iTunes whenever I want. Get the free one and sync via cable to see if you like it. If you love it, then get airsync. No issue with supporting a dev that has made such a great app.

yoon82

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
None of these will work if you have older iTunes music that is protected by drm though will they? For music that is not drm protected you can just go to my documents, iTunes folder, then music sub folder and drag your music to your phone via mass storage USB connection.

I've read that for those with older music from iTunes, you'll need to convert the music into a different format before using DoubleTwist or Air Sync or any other program. Fortunately for me, I've only had my iPod for about a year. :]

But thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll give iSyncr and the wireless add on a shot! :D

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site

iSynr works with dfm music. So far I haven't had any issues

Sent from another galaxy... Tab 2 10.1

BarbecueGamer

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I just came from using a 3gs. I have a 40GB iTunes library with podcasts and album art. isyncr has worked great for syncing my library to the S3 with playcounts and ratings. There is also an unplayed podcast playlist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

yoon82

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to give an update:

I went ahead and downloaded iSyncr and gave it a shot. It was a little confusing to use at first (mainly because I have stuff in my laptop and external HD) but everything seemed to sync seamlessly. My playlists synced perfectly without any issues!

A big THANK YOU to those who contributed to this thread! Hope this helps those who are wanting to transfer their music as well. :D

Thanks again! :-*

dh4321

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Wildo,

I read with interest your posting about transferring your music. You mentioned you went through your music collection and removed DRM?? I'm brand new to the Android world as well, so I'm just now setting up my music on the phone. Can you tell me how to do this? I didn't think it was possible. I attempted to send you a PM, but since I'm new to AC it wouldn't let me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton