12-03-2012 03:36 AM
- Skype doesnt seem to work very well on the S3. When I installed it, I did get a warning that it is unsupported on this device, so I guess I have been warned.
I have used Skype on several other phones and tablets and all works well. I have found the following intermittent issues: (BTW, I have an ATT branded S3)
1. Problems logging in
2. Logging in and it not recognizing my account/profile/skype out credits and contacts.
3. Can log in, but cant make either a skype call, (audio/video), call phone or test call.
4. I did totally shut down and restarted and it did work, then stopped and now it wont log in.
I guess this is really not a show stopper for me and Im guessing with the popularity of the S3 it will be officially supported. I just want to be sure its not just me having issues. Im patient and am willing to just wait it out for an update.07-08-2012 12:35 AM
- I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it seems to be working ...... for now. There a plenty of Samsung phones that are officially support, so there is no reason to think Skype wont certify the S3 as well. Im guessing it will be in the next update. I was just worried ATT might try to block this app.07-08-2012 08:42 AM
- AlmeuitModeratorAmbassadorI uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it seems to be working ...... for now. There a plenty of Samsung phones that are officially support, so there is no reason to think Skype wont certify the S3 as well. Im guessing it will be in the next update. I was just worried ATT might try to block this app.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums07-08-2012 11:46 AM
- Very similar problems to OP. Worked fine day 1, then totally lost functionality, e.g. does not recognize change in contacts' online status, does not receive IM, calls or video calls, etc. Uninstalled and reinstalled 3x now, to no benefit. New glitch is that each time I've reinstalled, it hangs up on "searching my address book" for contacts and I have to FC after (up to) 30 minutes of letting it work.
Crazy, as it appeared to be working fine initially, and now totally useless. Any insights wold be appreciated.07-08-2012 02:02 PM
- lrpack, Im not saying my issues are gone, only that it worked after I reinstalled and I havent tried since then. To be honest, I dont use skype on my phone a lot, but its a good backup in places where I may have wifi but no cell coverage or not a good enough signal to make calls. I use Google Voice as my main number for my business (i use a headset attached to my laptop but also have some wifi based skype phones in my office as well) and have it ring my skype in number and my cell. I have come to use Skype as my primary phone in my office. It works for voice calls far and away better than any other VoIP service I have tried (Vonage actually works pretty well too). But voice calls on Skype work over pretty low bandwidth. My biggest use for Skype on my phone would be overseas traveling. Since I dont have a trip on the docket, I suspect the S3 will get official support before the next time I get on a Delta Jet overseas.07-08-2012 02:45 PM
- @CarlG - Thanks for the info and glad things are working better. My use is pretty heavy for work and now for some family overseas for a month. Good to have connectivity on my phone when possible. And and good bit of info to share - things seem to be working now. I did one more uninstall, then REBOOTED my S3 and reinstalled. Things seem to be working just fine now. Got a video call from South America that worked well this time. Fingers crossed for continued success.07-08-2012 05:38 PM
- I must have missed your post. Glad its working better for you. I dont think I am going to worry about it for now until there is an update. I am pretty sure there will be given the popularity of the phone. I also have skype on my Galaxy Tab 7 and my laptop, so the phone is pretty secondary. Hoping there is not an issue with Skype on the G7 tablet.
I also got the "internet calling" SIP client to work. I just made a few test calls, but it should be an alternative to Skype should I need to use it. I already have a bulk SIP provider for a fax server that still runs in my office. We got rid of all the analog lines a while ago and they are all running over VoIP.07-09-2012 09:24 PM
- UPDATE - After 4 days of further use I'm having continued frequent problems, including random log-outs, loss of communication with Skype servers even though all appears normal/logged in (e.g. Desktop and Ipad show a current conversation simultaneously, S3 does not), username/password not recognized at auto sign-in, lock up on sign-in, etc. Really totally unreliable. I'm doing numerous Force Closes and uninstall/reinstalls daily. We use this app constantly at my company; I'm a remote worker so even more critical for me. Very frustrating and not sure what else to do except hope for a less buggy update.07-12-2012 11:46 AM
- Have any of you guys looked to see if the unofficial one is still maintained/worked on by the guys over at xda-developers?
I don't remember where in their forums it was active, but one of the guys over there was maintaining a "modified" version that offerred better stability for phones that weren't officially supported.
-Suntan07-12-2012 01:08 PM
- Skype had not worked at all for me. I have re installed numerous times. Most of the time none of my contacts show up. And if they do, I can't receive and messages or send them. This is a huge deal breaker for me because I've used skype on my previous android devices for years now. I need to get this to work!!! Using a SCH-I535.08-31-2012 12:52 PM
- Update seems to have been very successful in addressing many of the stability issues I previously mentioned. has been very stable over the weekend without the random logouts, false status (appearing online when not), etc.that I addressed in previous posts. So far so good....09-03-2012 07:38 AM
- Update seems to have been very successful in addressing many of the stability issues I previously mentioned. has been very stable over the weekend without the random logouts, false status (appearing online when not), etc.that I addressed in previous posts. So far so good....
Rev.09-03-2012 10:51 AM
- 09-03-2012 02:19 PM
- I am having the same issue. IF i get it to launch, half the time the online contact are wrong. I had a Motorola before this and Skype worked awesome on there. This is frustrating to me because while i love this phone, I use Skype a lot to talk to a friend who lives out of country. It's irritating when I can't get it to work right. I notified Skype and got their usual "we are thankful for feedback" reply but I guess we'll see if they develop a patch for it.09-12-2012 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD