Internet calling option

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I notice there is an option (ATT S3) for Internet calling. Its in the setting menu in the phone app. Just wondering if anyone is using this or has at least tested it out. I have a SIP account with a VoIP provider for some Fax over IP we are doing. The credentials are at my office, so I wont be able to try this out until tomorrow. Wondering if anyone else has any experience with it.

tweazer

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
:DGreetings. I know this is an old post but I hope someone will benefit from my findings.

The menu to set up SIP services up is under the dialer setup menu and not under the general settings menu. (rant omitted)

First you need to set up your SIP server and password. Once that is done, toggle the "Receive Incoming Calls" setting and you will notice a server status message under the SIP Accounts. If you are registered to a SIP server it will say something like "primary account receiving calls".
Three options for "Use Internet Calling" are:

1 - "For all calls" - great if you have a solid data connection at all times

2 - "For Internet Calls Only" - you need to set up a contact in your contacts with routing information

3 - "Ask For Every Call" - this prompts you every time you dial.

Option 3 interferes with handsfree Bluetooth operation in a car. The BT equipped car can't get past the call routing dialog box asking if it is a voice or internet-call so the call fails.

Call quality is very good as long as there is a good data or WiFi connection.

As far as I can tell using the "For Internet Call Only" forces you to prepare a contact for each number. The contact then has the routing information.
Create a contact and use the "Add Another Field" pull down menu and select "Internet Call" then enter the extension or number you wish to dial.
I don't see any option to directly dial internet calls with the "for internet calls only" option set. This is my preferred way to use this feature creating a contact for each extension in the office and my desk phone rings at the same time as cell phone.

IMO they missed the 4th option "use internet calling if NO mobile net is available" so when there's no mobile data but WiFi available the calls could be routed that way automatically.

Note: this works very well with Trixbox type setups.

:cool:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
anyone ever used the Viber app?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

tweazer

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Why use Viber or 3CX when you have these features built in to the phone and no need to run another app.

The only advantage that I can think of might be an alternate keypad when using VOIP.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i only just heard of Viber from my girl yesterday mate (shes on blackberry :( ) ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
What is Viber? It sounds like an app you would put on your girl's phone for times when you are not around. ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
What is Viber? It sounds like an app you would put on your girl's phone for times when you are not around. ;)

lol EXACTLY what i thought mate :)

installed and used it tonight and it basicly just gives you free (if u have free data) calls and text, cross-platform to anyone else who has the app. it actualy works well and will be handy if i run out of call minutes or txts before the end of my monthly cycle :)

...monthly cycle lol giggidy :p

Divya44

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
hahaha ohh boy..

Well I've used Viber in the past myself, and initially the call quality was pretty darn good. But I feel like it became less reliable for me after some time, and honestly, I'd like call quality to be as good as when I use my cell phone without the app. I recently found another VOIP calling app called Whistle Phone, and I'm liking that so far. Like Viber, you can make free calls to anyone with the Whistle Phone app and it is guaranteed to be an HD call. I've had zero issues with it so far. True, it's not already integrated within my phone though..but still something I've found worth using! :p

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
cool man. does it work cross platform though? (blackberry in particular)

Divya44

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hm, I think it works on iOS, Mac and Windows..but I haven't seen anything about it being available on Blackberry. I also realized that my Whistle to Whistle calls are encrypted, which I thought was kind of neat even though it's not something I thought that I wanted right off the bat. Are Viber calls encrypted? Does anyone know?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, pretty much, except Skype offers video too. But otherwise I'm guessing there isn't too much of a difference.

velocity7

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Is there a widget to toggle the "Receive incoming calls" option? Or even a widget that lets me configure when it is and isn't toggled (e.g., when I'm on a specific wi-fi network, etc.?)

Babak Hamedani

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I notice there is an option (ATT S3) for Internet calling. Its in the setting menu in the phone app. Just wondering if anyone is using this or has at least tested it out. I have a SIP account with a VoIP provider for some Fax over IP we are doing. The credentials are at my office, so I wont be able to try this out until tomorrow. Wondering if anyone else has any experience with it.
yes I have been using sip calling for a long time since I had this phone really, but recently I'm having problems after the last sfirmware upgrade. before that I could make all the calls to go from sip or make selection and have some phone numbers in the field internet call but now is just messed up its either or, I can make all the calls with the SIP server or none of them. what is your issue let me know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles