Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default Re: GS3 has THE worst auto-correction on the keyboard.

I downloaded the Swype Beta today 1.0.3.5809. It installs, but I cannot get the Swype Keyboard to appear. I can go to settings/language and choose Swype keyboard to enable it in the system, but I can not find a way for it to become my input method, or have the Swype Keyboard appear. I can only see the Samsung keyboard in my apps.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

... long press a text box, hit input method, swype should appear as an option

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Another thing i hate about the samsung keyboard is the dictionary... why is there two dictionaries? one that has all my words backed up from my bionic then the predictive text word dictionary that the phone uses.. at first i thought it was just words that weren't in my regular dictionary but now im finding i have to re enter all my words as i go
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #79  

I took the advise of a few people and downloaded the jelly bean keyboard from the market.

That was exactly what I was looking for. It works great and uses stock auto correct algorithm that google makes and not the bastardized version that Samsung uses.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Got this installed. Problem was that on the install, when has to navigate back to the set up screen for Swype after being sent away, to activate Swype. A bit confusing but workable. I had to remove and reinstall the Swype Beta to correct the error for the first install. Swype Beta is SO MUCH BETTER than the simple T9 predictive text and swiping built into the SIII.

Quote Originally Posted by stevekat View Post
    I downloaded the Swype Beta today 1.0.3.5809. It installs, but I cannot get the Swype Keyboard to appear. I can go to settings/language and choose Swype keyboard to enable it in the system, but I can not find a way for it to become my input method, or have the Swype Keyboard appear. I can only see the Samsung keyboard in my apps.

Another vote for Swiftkey. I have had it for a few days now. It definitely appears better than the stock keyboard and I don't seem to miss swype as much as I thought I would. It is amazing how the SwiftKey predictive text feature works. The keys are much bigger in landscape mode and I can really fly. This is especially cool since I am coming from a physical keyboard on my 9810.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Handheld Device
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

I still prefer swype just because i hate tapping

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I hated the S3 keyboard when I first got it and downloaded a few to try.

The one that I like the best JellyBean Keyboard (AOSP). It is very fast and responsive, the auto-correct works great and it is very easy to get used to typing on. Only downside I find is it is not SWYPE capabale; but if I want something I can SWYPE on there is always SWYPE Beta available.

Swift key is my all time favorite can't use anything else its perfect in my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I think CooTek's TouchPal is the best keyboard out there. I can safely say I can type as fast on it as I would on my Bold 9900 with the physical keyboard. And swipe up and down actions make life a lot easier as well as word deletion by the swipe of the backspace key.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    - Gordon

- BlackBerry Bold 9900 (Black)
    - [SOLD] HTC Glacier (White)

The latest swype is awesome. You can tap or swype to type. The voice input is very good as well.
    Good auto correct as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have download the jellybean keyboard. Its so much better than the original siii keyboard
    I am glad I have been reading these pages getting all this good info

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Yeah, Samsung's auto-correction sucks so bad because it doesn't auto-correct after punctuation or spaces. They should use Android's dictionary, not their own. The priority should be set for the corrected word not the custom word, and if you want to add your custom word, you should press it before making a space or punctuation like how Android does it. Samsung didn't reinvent the wheel here, they made it worst.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

i prefer my keyboard to "smart learn" words from scratch for a couple months so it learns my slang and shorthand (which i try not to use on this site)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    i prefer my keyboard to "smart learn" words from scratch for a couple months so it learns my slang and shorthand (which i try not to use on this site)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    I also like to make the keyboard learn my slang, but I prefer the method in Android's keyboard over Samsung's Galaxy S3 Keyboard.

The Jelly Bean Keyboard by johntanmi is unbeatable in my opinion. It's way better than Galaxy S3's keyboard in my humble opinion.
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

i use Smart Keyboard Pro basicly because ive never learned to type qwerty and its the best oldskool t9 format keyboard ive found
    the dev response is non-existant though so in this case i wish id just kept the cracked version

GT-I9300, UK
    Srambo217 likes this.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

SwiftKey is your friend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Srambo217 likes this.

Take a look...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Have you looked at SlideIT?

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

My files: http://www.appbrain.com/user/bclinge...the-htc-evo-4g

SwiftKey keyboard has the BEST auto correct... It even shockingly knows what you wanna type before u type it... It's almost creepy yet awesome

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
    sledge007 likes this.

Using a GS3 for the time being and find that the Jelly Bean 4.1 Keyboard/system I have has NO Auto-correct/word-prediction, and it's driving me nuts! I have to literally type words out and it doesn't auto-correct them AT ALL. The only thing it gives me is that non-intelligent "prediction/fill" under the text box that I have to actually click to incorporate (i.e not "auto"). Am I totally missing how to turn auto-correct on? I've looked everywhere on the phone and can't find an option for this.

On the iPhone's I'm used to, I can literally swipe gibberish however the keyboard's intelligent enough to figure out what I'm trying to say and incorporates it on its own. Having this same feature on my GS3 would make life a lot easier right now! Any help would be very appreciated.

EDIT: So in Settings, it shows that I'm using the "Samsung Keyboard", but it's using Googles's Voice Typing. It has the new Google Voice-To-Text and everything. Does this mean the Samsung Keyboard doesn't support the Auto-Correct feature?
    Last edited by Starpower11; 11-06-2012 at 05:07 AM.

I use the beta of Jelly Bean keyboard on a stock ICS 4.0.4 and it works great. I'm actually using the swipe feature of it as I'm typing this and it works great

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post

How do you get your keyboard to smart learn???

Global Posts
    6,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Quote Originally Posted by deanodrums View Post
    How do you get your keyboard to smart learn???
    Get SwiftKey 3.....try it out and you'll see. It works.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

Problem with a 3rd party keyboard like Swifkey is that it apparently uses a considerable amount of extra energy/battery? Would be nice is the built-in Keyboards were actually even decent so we wouldn't have to rely on 3rd party Apps sucking extra energy out of the phone!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast