GS3 has THE worst auto-correction on the keyboard.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My gosh someone at Samsung was on a LOT of crack when they designed the auto-correction for the GS3 for typing on the keyboard.

It is so hard to type on this thing cause the correction is over compensating and I always end up with words I don't want. I have everything turned off except spell correction and I still find it so hard to type on.

Motorola has a much better implimentation of their auto correct in their ICS for their Razr Maxx. Plus they give you the option to choose how strong of a correction you want.

Plus I think Motorola has a better keyboard to type on. Samsung's keyboard is too small. I am debating on trying out Swiftkey cause I heard it is really good and has it's own independant auto correct.

But I think it's a shame that I have the best phone on the market, yet I have to pay extra to buy a keyboard that actually works right. I also have a Razr Maxx and it's night and day between the two when it comes to typing.

BTW I have the AT&T version.

Last edited:

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
My gosh someone at Samsung was on a LOT of crack when they designed the auto-correction for the GS3 for typing on the keyboard.

It is so hard to type on this thing cause the correction is over compensating and I always end up with words I don't want. I have everything turned off except spell correction and I still find it so hard to type on.

Motorola has a much better implimentation of their auto correct in their ICS for their Razr Maxx. Plus they give you the option to choose how strong of a correction you want.

Plus I think Motorola has a better keyboard to type on. Samsung's keyboard is too small. I am debating on trying out Swiftkey cause I heard it is really good and has it's own independant auto correct.

But I think it's a shame that I have the best phone on the market, yet I have to pay extra to buy a keyboard that actually works right. I also have a Razr Maxx and it's night and day between the two when it comes to typing.

Swype beta is free

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: GS3 as THE worst auto-correction on the keyboard.

Go to Settings>Language and Input>Samsung Keyboard (settings icon)>Predictive text>Word Completion Point>change from default (2 letters) to 3, 4, or 5 letters. This may help with your issue.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Do the above or even disable the autocomplete function.

rjenkin41

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I use SwiftKey and it's stellar in my opinion. I practically don't have to type any of the letters right and it knows what I need to say.

Reactions: drmaf894c

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I use SwiftKey and it's stellar in my opinion. I practically don't have to type any of the letters right and it knows what I need to say.

I agree swift key is really good at prediction. Even better now with the SwiftKey 3 update. I barely ever have typos it is so good.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the Auto-correction on the Galaxy S III is really bad and its the only thing I don't like about the phone. I didn't get a chance to see if Auto correct can be turned off through the settings because I dont own the phone (ive played with one in the store) but im willing to bet it can be turned off.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

Try voice imput on your emails and texts. It is unbelievably good. Probably over 99% accurate. I turned off auto-correct because it was annoyingly bad. SwiftKey 3 is supposed to be very good, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

jaebberwock

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

Another thumbs up for Swiftkey. Only bad part is I can't type "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" anymore on it because as soon as I type "The q" it knows exactly what I'm going to say so it will be me pressing "t", space, q, space, space, space, space, space, space, space, space.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Big thumbs up for Swiftkey. If you haven't tried it you are totally missing out.

48dodge

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I expected much better with the predictive text on this phone. It picks words that are never used in everyday communication. With CM9 on my dinc, it was great. Great on my xoom with Thumb Keyboard. Going to give swiftkey a try. Thumb keyboard is great on the xoom, but their phone version is lacking. I may give it a try anyway since it's already paid for.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

This would be a bad thing if you were an iPhone user. However, since this is Android there's lots of choices and alternatives out there. I still like Swiftkey 3, works great for me. The more you use it, the more it learns, the better it gets. Poor iPhone users.... their keyboard doesn't even give you a visual representation of whether you have capital letters selected or not, all you see is the easy to miss indicator over the shift key.

Anyways, I never use the stock keyboard, Swiftkey 3 for the win.

Zulu Warrior

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

I ran into this same issue, and since I had heard so much about swift key, I downloaded the demo. I can definitely say it is much better. Instantly, I was able to type like normal again, and got over the clutter of that stock keyboard. I'm glad they had the demo, because I would have been hesitant to spend 4 bucks, but now, I'm almost sure I'm going to buy it when my trial is up. I'm new to android, do things like swiftkey 3 go on sale once in a while? Wouldn't mind saving a buck or two there. :)

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Thread title says it ALL! :)

"GS3 as THE worst auto-correction on the keyboard."

anon(823957)

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I ran into this same issue, and since I had heard so much about swift key, I downloaded the demo. I can definitely say it is much better. Instantly, I was able to type like normal again, and got over the clutter of that stock keyboard. I'm glad they had the demo, because I would have been hesitant to spend 4 bucks, but now, I'm almost sure I'm going to buy it when my trial is up. I'm new to android, do things like swiftkey 3 go on sale once in a while? Wouldn't mind saving a buck or two there. :)

See, I don't mind spending $4 on something that makes a genuine difference, and on something I'm going to be using all day, every day.

I was also going nuts trying to get used to the auto-correct (especially coming straight from a BB 9900) so I grabbed it for the full price and haven't regretted it once.

Reactions: Zulu Warrior

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

My sister was complaining about the stock keyboard as well. Since doesn't like Swype, but uses GO SMS, I installed the free GO Keyboard and she loves it. Within a minute or two her response was "Wow! This actually works!"

Swift is excellent too, but if you don't want to spend any money, try GO Keyboard (free).

I've been using Swype for a couple of years and love it. I switched to SlideIT for some time, but switched back to Swype when I got the S III. Wow, they improved it tremendously!

Regardless of what you try, report back so we know what you liked. I'm curious. :)

kryptonite_2448

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

I really enjoy TouchPal -- It's free

Also, I had GO Keyboard and I was getting ads in my notification center. F that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18