GS3 has THE worst auto-correction on the keyboard.

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Problem with a 3rd party keyboard like Swifkey is that it apparently uses a considerable amount of extra energy/battery? Would be nice is the built-in Keyboards were actually even decent so we wouldn't have to rely on 3rd party Apps sucking extra energy out of the phone!
I have not noticed this, but Swiftkey is the one thing on my S3 that I don't mind consuming battery power. It's almost scary how it knows what I want to say. At most I just need to enter three letters of a word, usually one or two, and bang, there is the word I was typing!

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Swype Beta user here. Tried SwiftKey and was annoyed that in lots of apps (browser is one) it didn't show the multiple word choice bar on top of the keyboard and it's a known issue with SwiftKey. Swype Beta is just a better all around keyboard.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Swype Beta user here. Tried SwiftKey and was annoyed that in lots of apps (browser is one) it didn't show the multiple word choice bar on top of the keyboard and it's a known issue with SwiftKey. Swype Beta is just a better all around keyboard.
I think it was your post, pappcam, that convinced me to download & try-out the Swype Beta keyboard. Really glad I did; so much better than the samsung and the TouchPal?I was then trying out. Only had one bug problem so far, primarily in email app, but no worries. All in all . . really liking it. So thanks again! ;-)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Swiftkey is half price $1.99 for Thanksgiving weekend, if anyone is interested.

Also, there are a number of posts in this thread referring to the Jelly Bean keyboard. There are multiple keyboards in the play store with that name. Is there an official Android Jelly Bean keyboard out there?

Thanks,

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: GS3 as THE worst auto-correction on the keyboard.

I actually agree 100% with the title of this thread. I have been using the stock Jelly Bean Keyboard again now that I'm into the customization stage of this phone and it feels 1000x more natural and accurate!

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Swiftkey is half price $1.99 for Thanksgiving weekend, if anyone is interested.

Also, there are a number of posts in this thread referring to the Jelly Bean keyboard. There are multiple keyboards in the play store with that name. Is there an official Android Jelly Bean keyboard out there

Thanks,

Exactly what I've been thinking. People keep saying "Jelly Bean Keyboard", but there are a number of them in the App Store. I DL'ed the "johntanmi" one, because it seems the lightest, and uses the least MB's, and it's great. The new 4.2V has Swype, hold-to-punctuate, auto correct like my iOS keyboard did, and pretty much everything you'd need. Very happy with it. Goodbye piece of CRAP Samsung keyboard.

Last edited:

boriscardozo

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Yep.. It actually is annoying when you have THE best phone in the market - but a ty keyboard. I am an ex-HTC user which, in my opinion, has THE BEST smartphone keyboard out there - no competition.

Yea SwiftKey is unbelievable, but there is SOMETHING about having a GOOD STOCK keyboard rather than downloading one. I mean when a phone is this good you want everything to be stock-Samsung...but alas, I guess we have no choice but to go for SwiftKey, cuz like you said - the SGS3 truly does have the WORST keyboard out there!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
With any luck, the next update will help that.
Doesn't the note 2 have the SwiftKey prediction engine? Hopefully they will make it available to you as well
Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

tamazoid

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

I loved and got used to the swype on my GS2. When I got the GS3, I hated the samsung keyboard with a passion! I've bought the swiftkey 3 and like it. But I personally hated tapping when I type. The only keyboard I would tap to type was on a physical keyboard of blackberrys.

I was hoping when I upgraded to the official jelly bean OS, it would fixed the samsung keyboard. But there was no change.

So I looked on this forum and was glad I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing!

In the end, I downloaded the swype beta and love it so far! I believe it's the best all around keyboard as well!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea SwiftKey is unbelievable, but there is SOMETHING about having a GOOD STOCK keyboard rather than downloading one. I mean when a phone is this good you want everything to be stock-Samsung...but alas, I guess we have no choice but to go for SwiftKey, cuz like you said - the SGS3 truly does have the WORST keyboard out there!
The major advantage of Android over Apple is it's customizability. Keeping an Android phone stock seems to defeat the whole purpose.

I used your recommended setting and was ok with that. Now after an upgrade the autocorrect is gone(?) and this setting is not available any more.

What recommended settings, for what keyboard, and what upgrade? There are a lot of posts in this thread, and it's not at all clear what one you're replying to.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The main advantage over apple is Google services integration.. Other people don't care about customization and don't install third party keyboards. My mom barely has icons on her home screens, even.

That's why SwiftKey is on sale 75% of the time to boost their install rates and stay at the top of the paid app charts.

I used the Samsung keyboard on my mom's GS3 and it seemed fine. The layout was much improved over this phone as well. On my Vibrant I only used the Samsung keyboard, but not being able to remove the settings button on this phone is a bit of a show stopper, since it causes the space bar to be smaller and off-center.

One thing I did notice about Samsung keyboard is it tends to perform better than third party keyboards on their phones.

On this phone its considerably smoother than swiftly and the auto correct is fine (using it right now). Don't know how it could be any worse on the 3. Swiftkey is better at next word prediction, though.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree swift key is really good at prediction. Even better now with the SwiftKey 3 update. I barely ever have typos it is so good.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

Installed swift key because after some use it tends to think it knows what you want to type better than you do. I ended up good back and correcting things, or sending really embarrassing mistakes.

I could never get used to swiping, and think it works best on note-type devices with a stylus.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
beauty of a smartphone, even a skinned one, is you can download alternative apps for everything. think of it as a clean slate :)
thats my 2p :beer:

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i use this btw lol
uploadfromtaptalk1357875820961.jpg
propa oldschool :)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

Ben Jones2

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The gs3 doesn't have that option for some strange reason only the sg and gs2 they took it off gs3 and put a feature which recognizes how u talk on fb!!!!!

Medic3166

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: GS3 as THE worst auto-correction on the keyboard.

I installed SwiftKey3 after the reviews on this site. MUCH better than UltraKeyboard, or any of the other apps I've tried.