Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    standard

Default What format for sd card

I have two 64gb sd cards one is formatted to fat32 the other has not been formatted at all what should I format it to for my galaxy s3
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

Default Re: What format for sd card

I used exFAT with mine but ran into the issues described here:

[Q] exFAT file system on microSD cards - xda-developers

I changed it to FAT32 and haven't had any problems since.

Dave

Fat 32 works without any problems. It is the format that Samsung puts on their Micro SD cards when you buy them. I think Fat 32 has a 4GB file limit. Do a search for more info.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimbomcm View Post
    Fat 32 works without any problems. It is the format that Samsung puts on their Micro SD cards when you buy them. I think Fat 32 has a 4GB file limit. Do a search for more info.
    The SanDisk 64GB cards come formatted as exFAT.

Dave

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

I'm using xFat and have no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

My 64gb Sandisk works great formatted in exFAT. I have about 3000+ photoes and 200+songs that I loaded on the card via my pc and no issues.

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    standard

what the difference tho is xfat faster than fat32

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matthewjoseph255 View Post
    what the difference tho is xfat faster than fat32
    Larger max file transfer size

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

As with the posters over at xdadevelopers, what I ran into with exFAT was that of the 1500 or so music files I put on, a number of them (I don;'t recall how many) were not showing up in any music apps. When I looked at the folders using a phone-based file explorer, these missing files were there but showing up in some oddball format. But when I looked at the card using a PC-based explorer, the files looked fine. Took me quite a while to figure out that I even had a problem though as it was isolated to a relatively small number of files; from a macro level, it seemed to be working fine.

2 GB is the limitation. Although you may be able to copy a file larger than 2 GB, like a move, but it wont play.

Main problem with FAT32 formating is the max no.of files the SD card can store. We can not have more than 65536 files and if the file names are longer than 12 bytes, then the max file count also comes down proportionately.
    No meaning in having a 64GB SD card and (realistically) storing 20000 files because most of the music file names are longer than 25 characters.

With exFAT / NTFS formatting, one may have cross platform (Windows/Android) compatibility issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasudev AH View Post
    Main problem with FAT32 formating is the max no.of files the SD card can store. We can not have more than 65536 files and if the file names are longer than 12 bytes, then the max file count also comes down proportionately.
    No meaning in having a 64GB SD card and (realistically) storing 20000 files because most of the music file names are longer than 25 characters.

With exFAT / NTFS formatting, one may have cross platform (Windows/Android) compatibility issues.
    Hm, I didn't know this.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2