Incorrect Photo Dates

billism

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone was having the same problem I have been having. Looking at the pictures I have taken with my stock SGS3 (AT&T) in the Gallery app, I noticed the photos were being sorted weird. Looking at the details of the photos, about half (or maybe a little less than that) of them have a time-stamp 2 or 3 days in the future. Also, all of the dates in the future have a time of 6:33pm or 6:36pm. I use the "Sync Instant Upload" option for my Google account, and the exif timestamps on the photos in that Instant Upload Picasa album are all correct. The file names of the images show the correct date/time that they were taken.

Has anyone else seen this problem or have any idea what the problem is?

Last edited:

billism

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I just opened one of the incorrect date photos in JPEGsnoop to check out the exif data and did not see any human readable data that would put the date in the future. So I do not know why the date/time details are being reported to be in the future when the exif data looks correct.

This particular photo's "Time" is reported to be "07/12/2012 6:33PM" according to the Gallery app. And the exif data's DateTime value says it is "2012:07:09 17:10:34"

EXIF IFD0 @ Absolute 0x00000014
Dir Length = 0x0013
[DateTime ] = ""
[Orientation ] = Row 0: top, Col 0: left
[Model ] = "SAMSUNG-SGH-I747"
[WhiteBalance ] = Auto white balance
[DateTime ] = "2012:07:09 17:10:34"
[Make ] = "SAMSUNG"
[GPSOffset ] = @ 0x014C
[ExifOffset ] = @ 0x01F5
Offset to Next IFD = 0x00000000

EXIF SubIFD @ Absolute 0x00000201
Dir Length = 0x0002

EXIF GPSIFD @ Absolute 0x00000158
Dir Length = 0x0008
[GPSTimeStamp ] = 95:33:37.77
[GPSLatitudeRef ] = "N"
[GPSLongitude ] = ******* omitted *******
[GPSLongitudeRef ] = "W"
[GPSDateStamp ] = "2012:07:09"
[GPSAltitudeRef ] = Above Sea Level
[GPSLatitude ] = ******* omitted *******
[GPSAltitude ] = 0.000 m

Last edited:

chronophilos

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue, I'm on 4.1.1 on a Galaxy Nexus. Photos would actually change time as reported by the gallery app. Trying to review the last picture taken is useless, the app will only display some old picture with a random future date. I would really appreciate a fix for this, if anyone has one.

stjohnob

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issues on my VZW Droid RAZR MAXX. Started a couple of days ago. Nothing new installed recently, no mods. Take a picture and go to view it, have to scroll back a few since it shows pictures from the future first. Only showed a couple in the future the first day and then more and more have been going to the future. Updated to ICS in the soak test that went out a few weeks ago. Everything has been fine until this. :(

Chee Choong

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Hope my solution for this problem won't come late. Basically who have use any cloud storage as backup will know the original EXIF data inside each photo is still well protected. It mean the photo taken date still preserve nice (Very Lucky). Now the question is just after reset factory setting andriod will show as the factory reset date instead the original photo taken date. To Fix Date you just go to PlayStore download a superb fast photo viewing app call "QuickPic". This is really a nice app and it have alot customization to include and exclude which folder to show.

Now the most important function is "Fix Date" in this app. Just use "QuickPic" go to open the photos folder. Then click SETTING button and click the FixDate in the pop up menu. This app will overwrite and fix the date back to Original Photo Taken date which still preserve nice in EXIF.

Hope this will help you all.

dtruchan13

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Chee Choong, never too late, I wasted hours and hours, trying to figure this out, You are a life saver. The QuickPic worked like a charm.

Brian King2

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
On my Razr Maxx I may take a doz photos all with the proper date but 2 or three with a date of December 1969, that was great year for me but it is making it hard to work with our photos. I have done a system update twice with no change.

RLeo

Apr 10, 2017
Visit site
I just want to know if anyone has an LG Volt (Android) & if some or many of your pictures taken shows on a different date than it was originally taken? Like a picture originally taken from 2013 shows that it's taken from 2016 in details/properties, even when I transfer it to my laptop computer.

Rebecca Lindley

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm afraid I'm looking for help as opposed to offering any solutions to anything. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and yesterday, several photos from the 16th and 17th July 2017 randomly came out of sync in the camera roll and are now showing that they were taken on a date that is in the future (29th July 2017). The Google photos app has also moved them from where they were in their correct dates and has also moved them to 29th July 2017. I don't understand how a random future date can appear like that. When I first tool these photos which have now moved and are wrongly showing as the most recent ones, everything was fine and they were where they should have been. I took more on these dates which have stayed put.
When I look in the details of these photos it also.says taken on 29th July 2017 but when I look at the details of them inside Google photos, it has kept the actual dates and times they were taken.
Also, when I upload to Dropbox and it brings all my photos up so I can select which ones to save, it shows me them in the correct order on the correct data so.something there is still right somewhere.
Any help is very much appreciated, thank you x

XPMai

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Hope my solution for this problem won't come late. Basically who have use any cloud storage as backup will know the original EXIF data inside each photo is still well protected. It mean the photo taken date still preserve nice (Very Lucky). Now the question is just after reset factory setting andriod will show as the factory reset date instead the original photo taken date. To Fix Date you just go to PlayStore download a superb fast photo viewing app call "QuickPic". This is really a nice app and it have alot customization to include and exclude which folder to show.

Now the most important function is "Fix Date" in this app. Just use "QuickPic" go to open the photos folder. Then click SETTING button and click the FixDate in the pop up menu. This app will overwrite and fix the date back to Original Photo Taken date which still preserve nice in EXIF.

Hope this will help you all.

Dangg! It works! But 1 photo its date in Gallery doesn't get fixed though. :( And how do I do this for my videos? There's no "Fix Date" option for videos.

Also, I'd appreciate if you explain the technical workings behind this. Why do I have to use a 3rd party app? How does Gallery read/deduce a photo's date? (I altered its EXIF data, filename, cleared cache, etc., but didn't work)

SofiaA2018

Nov 4, 2018
Visit site
If you are transferring to a Mac, there is a great little helper App called Raw Right Away that will fix the problem. You can reset the file creation and modification dates to the embedded EXIF timestamp with the Mac app "Raw Right Away." Select the files in Finder and go to Services -> Apply Camera Timestamp. (Just remember that you have to restart your computer after you install Raw Right Away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo