Anyone else w/ Otterbox Commuter Case?

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I also have the cheaper rugged case from Amazon with the kickstand and eventually stopped using it. Difficult to access the bottom buttons.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I received my Otterbox Commuter today. First impression was "holy , this thing is a monster now and nothing can harm it." After using it for a few hours, I realized the back is very slippery. Also it doesn't really fit in my holster anymore (heightwise, that is, the magnetic flap is too short with the Otterbox on and it hardly closes). If it had some grips on the sides it would be great. I'm considering returning it because I feel like they want you to drop it to prove it works, lol.

Does anyone know a holster that will definitely work with it?

I'm currently using this and I love the grips, it just doesn't offer much protection.
Fosmon PC + TPU Hybrid Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 S III - Black

A Seidio holster. I have one with my BB9810 Commuter case.

vedwardsiii

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
If you do not count the front side edges being raised to protect the screen then the backside barely is thicker than some other cases with less protection. Thickness for a tough case it is barely noticable. Didn't say anything about the back not being slippery. Doesn't bother me much as I haven't ever set my phone on an angled surface like some do. Its not slippery in my hands due to the front and bottom corners rubber being exposed.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The case is awesome and protects the GS3 well but the carbon fiber outer shell is a little slick as opposed the rubberized outer covering of the Defender.

miketko

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I just got it because I figured I can buy it at Bestbuy .. try it .. take it back if I hate it.

I just got it and I like the feel of the case .. feels very sturdy but MAN those buttons you have to practically punch. I mean don't get me wrong it isn't super insane but its way harder than a little button press should be.

Is this just me or is everyone gettin that?

I actually like how the buttons are more stiff. I kept raising the volumn while listening to music accidentally and almost blew up my ear drum before I got the commuter.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

seabass

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Not too thrilled with the buttons on it as well. I just got the Acase Superleggera Pro and it doesn't seem as rock solid as the Commuter, though it still seems like high quality, especially for 6-12$.

Things I like about the Acase:

Slightly thinner and lighter than the Otterbox. The side buttons also don't stick out as much as the Commuter.

The lip doesn't seem to make the screen as obstructed, I'm sure this makes it less protective though.

The charger hole isn't covered, which just got in the way on the Commuter.

Under the home button they made it slightly cutout in the silicone, making it a bit easier to hit the button. Nice touch, not sure why Otterbox didn't so something similar.

The side buttons are easy to press and clicky, not mushy and unresponsive feeling like the Commuter.

It's about 1/3 of the price.

ZW1990

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I got time commuter to use until I can get the defender but I really like this case. Its not as bulky but I know if drop my phone hard it will be protected. As for the buttons I've had no problems they are easy to push on mine but not where they will get pushed in my pocket. I'm probably going to keep it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

anthony1117

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Commuter case in atomic green is not for sale yet so i wi have to wait but will definitely be getting it. Also was thinking about the defender but used it for about a week with my gnex and just because a hassle to take in and out of my pocket. So cant wait to protect this bad boy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

RazorOrange

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Excellent case. I like the new material Otterbox is using for the rubber portion. The previous material would excrete oils when exposed to high heat, such as if you left your phone in the car on a hot Florida day. This new material is much stiffer, but seems to resist the heat better. I like the tight fit and the stiffness of the buttons as well; they provide positive resistance that prevents accidental presses of the buttons, my other case would allow me to accidentally press the volume rocker down while gripping the phone, lowering the volume to the point of missing calls. If I had one complaint its the screen cover could be better. Overall, a great case.

The defender case is already available at several of my local AT&T retailers. You have to look for it becase they are in AT&T branded packaging, not the normal yellow Otterbox packaging.

pktderk

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the Otterbox Commuter case for my wife and myself, both using the Samsung Galaxy S3. I bought her the white model with gray rubber, which is much more supple concerning the buttons. I got the black model, which is a harder rubber material.

The Fix: I took "my" case apart , grabbed the rubber section and folded the power button inside out to expose the little ridge that actually comes in contact with the phones power button. I took a razor and carved off a little of that ridge at both ends. This allows the button to have more flex, therefore making it easier to push. You only need a little bit of that ridge anyway to make contact with the phones power button. I also shaved off the hard top of the button from the outside, making it almost flush with the plastic case when assembled. This took the crazy rigidity out of the button making it easier to push. I have no problem accessing the button once assembled and the for those that say the button is less secure from falls... well, unless that little button area falls directly on a nail, I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

Button works much better now. Otterbox just didn't take into account the buttons design when they used the harder material in the black model. If you dont want this issue, or to have to modify the button, get the White case with Gray rubber. The rubber is very supple and works GREAT on that model, right out of the box! :D

I hope this helps!

kodybrannon

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I got the otterbox with my S3 when I bought it. Love it! After having the case on my EVO, i was not going to buy anything else for my new S3. Be awesome if they could make an otterbox with a battery in it :D

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I got time commuter to use until I can get the defender but I really like this case. Its not as bulky but I know if drop my phone hard it will be protected. As for the buttons I've had no problems they are easy to push on mine but not where they will get pushed in my pocket. I'm probably going to keep it.

I got it the other day, and like it, after trying the high-price Samsung Flip Case. Yes, the buttons are difficult to push on the Commuter, but they seem so be freeing up a bit. The Samsung case is a nightmare if you at all care to use the camera phnoe for snapshots. Other available cases at Best Buy offered little protection. The Defender case was just too bulk or me needs.

Overall, I'm happy with the Commuter. It affords more protection than other cases I looked at: some protection minus the bulk (I carry the S3 in my handbag).

billoetjen

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Friction Tape.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL9Z9NUyZQ2pvhUh_eVcf-SpJmylw4ThXhZuy9YRC-bjv8_O0y

It's the stuff that electricians used MANY years ago. In house wiring, they used to solder the bared wires together, then wrap in rubber insulating tape, which would then be covered in friction tape. It's also an ideal thing to use to add grip to a stickball bat.
More recently, I was having trouble holding on to guitar plectrums; they'd always slip and slide around and I never felt I had a good grip on it. Friction tape totally fixed that.

Recently I got a Galaxy s3 which has tons of usefulness, but it begged to be protected by a sturdy case. My old LG Optimus felt way sturdier and had a subtle non-slip surface. I used it over two years without a problem. It survived many drops to unforgiving surfaces. No way would I expect that from the Galaxy.

Enter the Otterbox Commuter. Nice design, nice execution. Even nice price-point.
However, I believe they coated it in teflon. No need to say more about that.

Enter Friction tape. Two strips across the back, making sure to cut the ends just long enough to tuck all the way around the edge of the case, and end just at the edge of the screen.

It might take a couple of attempts. Helps, too to press the ends of the tape firmly in place.

I'll give this arrangement a few days of normal use and report back.

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had the commuter for about 8 months now and the thing is completely destroyed. I take car of my phone but where ever it has rubber pieces (headphone jack, usb port, power button) all just tore off. It's probably been dropped 5 times and the phone still has no damage. Im also not positive but by how hard i had to push on the power button to get to work i think it may have broke it

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had the commuter for about 8 months now and the thing is completely destroyed. I take car of my phone but where ever it has rubber pieces (headphone jack, usb port, power button) all just tore off. It's probably been dropped 5 times and the phone still has no damage. Im also not positive but by how hard i had to push on the power button to get to work i think it may have broke it

Hey dude,

Hopefully this can help you out. If your Otterbox is pretty banged up, you can get a free replacement from Otterbox directly. Just go on their website, fill it the proper info, then they will get back to you.
I have done this in the odd chance that something has happened to a previous Otterbox, and I have already told a few other friends about this, and they have had theirs replaced as well.
Otterbox customer service is great to deal with. And it's nice to know that if something does happen to your case, they have your back and will fix you up. That's one of the reasons why I buy their cases.

Hope that helps.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 2!

Erik Kvalheim

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why anyone likes these otter box cases. Otter box seems to go out of their way to make these cases out of the most slippery material available on the planet. I want to like these cases, because they always have so many color and style options. I tried leaving my candy shell grip case for a week to try the otterbox commuter. I had never dropped my phone before, and after having this case on for only 1 day, I had dropped the phone twice. For me, the slick feel of the case makes it useless. It's also very bulky. Just my 2 cents...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1