Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Update to S3 will remove Universal Search

See the link below for more info...but the gist is that because of the Apple lawsuit, they will push an update so that you can search the web from the Google search bar, but not the rest of the phone.

Sprint confirms that Samsung Galaxy S3 update removes universal search | The Verge

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

Default Re: Update to S3 will remove Universal Search

What a f'ing crock. Apple makes me !

just ignore the update when u get the prompt

Besides this is Verizon we are talking about, any update will take two to three times longer to receive than any other carrier. Verizon cares *cough* about their customers well being.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

The updates are being pushed out ASAP, due to the court ruling. I am on at&t and received it on Tuesday.

There is supposedly a work around, but I believe it involves rooting and flashing an older version of any changed files made by the update. It is in the forums.

Unless I hear what other bug fixes that the update provides, I am content to ignore the update.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Handheld Device

You can install the old GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk without rebooting, but you would have to re-install it after every reboot.

If you root, you can make the fix permanent.

There are more details in the forum for the sprint version in this thread: Update #2 L710VPLG2