Final Soultion: Why Most HEADSETS WON'T WORK

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? Nothing in the Apple approach affects sound quality one way or the other. It's typical of Apple to build things that won't interoperate with industry standards. Their USB charging pinouts, for example. And their new connector, which offers to real advantage over micro-USB. What do all of these things have in common? They're unique to Apple, and patented, so they can make money licensing the technology to accessory makers. Anyone can make a micro-USB cable without having to pay a penny to Apple. But if you want to make and sell a cable that attaches to an Apple product, you have to pay your tithe to the great white God.

Sorry thanked your post twice by accident scrolling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

thegr8revealing

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
So I was doing some dissecting of a busted pair of Bose MIE2i headphones (that worked exclusively only with my Apple products) and my OEM S3 headphones. Turns out this whole "switched ground and mic" thing might not be so. There is a definite difference in the specific ohm resistance for each button press on the controls, the but jack layout is no different between the two.

dY6LR.png

Update:

And the transplant is complete. Bose MIE2i now functioning with S3 control. The ground and mic are NOT reversed.
aPdAX.jpg

headcase

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the clarity on the pin out for iPhones.

I'm hoping you can help me, as I'm still learning here and have looked all over: I have an iPhone 5 that obviously requires a 3.5mm TRRS plug. Meanwhile, I have a mono gaming headset (utilizes both left & right speakers) with a boom mic, and has a female 2.5mm TRS jack for connections. I've tried using a couple different 2.5mm TRS headset to 3.5mm TRRS iPhone adapters, including this one, but the result always is that I can hear the incoming audio from the iPhone on the headset, but the iPhone continues to use its built-in speakerphone microphone instead of the boom mic on the gaming headset.

I suspect this is happening because although the TRRS plug is making contact inside the iPhone, the TRS connection on the other side isn't terminating the iPhone mic properly. I assume I would need to construct a cable that has a 3.5mm TRRS male on one end, and a 2.5mm TRS male on the other end, but I'm not clear on what the connections need to be. (again apologies in advance, as I'm still learning).

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I found a pretty cheap way to work around this problem

I bought this:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...Remote-Mic-Samsung-Galaxy-S2-S3-/261126723775
For around 8 bucks and detached my old cord from my skullcandy aviators which only worked for idevices. Have to say, works amazing now! Co fired that the mic as well as he other buttons work perfectly. Of course this really only applies to people who have headphones with a detachable cord though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I suspect you might have better luck finding someone who has solved this problem with the iPhone by asking on an iPhone forum, rather than a Samsung Galaxy forum.

headcase

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I suspect you might have better luck finding someone who has solved this problem with the iPhone by asking on an iPhone forum, rather than a Samsung Galaxy forum.

I knew that, but I posted this question given the OP of this thread was knowledgeable and detailing the specific pin outs of the newer Apple products. Certainly can't hurt to ask.

thegr8revealing

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
So what did you do to get them to work? Just solder the earpieces from the Bose to the wiring / control unit from the S3 'phones?

It was a bit more involved than that, but yes, essentially that is all I did. Except it was bout 4 hours worth of work. Every one of those little wires is coated in acryclic, so where ever you wish to solder, you have to cut, strip the wires, pull back the nylon strings that run through every inch of the headphone cords, burn the acrylic, scrape the acrylic and carbon soot, dip the exposed wire in flux, then apply solder, then seal everything. Once it is all together though it is great. I have been using these everyday since I modded them with no issues. The mic works, the pause/play button works, the volume works, it's nice.

vokally

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I found a pretty cheap way to work around this problem

I bought this:
Headphone in Headphones | eBay
For around 8 bucks and detached my old cord from my skullcandy aviators which only worked for idevices. Have to say, works amazing now! Co fired that the mic as well as he other buttons work perfectly. Of course this really only applies to people who have headphones with a detachable cord though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

thanks for this link! I have the S3 and love my aviators but the mic doesn't work. I'm gonna buy this today in hopes I can finally use my skullcandy's completely.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It was a bit more involved than that, but yes, essentially that is all I did. Except it was bout 4 hours worth of work. Every one of those little wires is coated in acryclic, so where ever you wish to solder, you have to cut, strip the wires, pull back the nylon strings that run through every inch of the headphone cords, burn the acrylic, scrape the acrylic and carbon soot, dip the exposed wire in flux, then apply solder, then seal everything. Once it is all together though it is great. I have been using these everyday since I modded them with no issues. The mic works, the pause/play button works, the volume works, it's nice.

Yeah, I've soldered some of these thin, very flexible wires before. It is a PITA.

Lawrence D

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have some Klipsch S4i with a broken jack plug that I am replacing. If I reverse the mic and ground connections should that make the remote fully functional on my galaxy note 2? Or is it way more complicated than that? Currently the central play/pause/skip track button is fully functional. I haven't tested if the mic currently works or not. Great post by the way, just what I needed!
Cheers

Lawrence

naroslife

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have some Klipsch S4i with a broken jack plug that I am replacing. If I reverse the mic and ground connections should that make the remote fully functional on my galaxy note 2? Or is it way more complicated than that? Currently the central play/pause/skip track button is fully functional. I haven't tested if the mic currently works or not. Great post by the way, just what I needed!
Cheers

Lawrence

Wow this is interesting, because I have the same gear with the same problem.
As I understand it replacing your jack plug with an android compatible reversed one will not solve your problem, because the buttons on your headset use different resistances, so yes the signal will go on the correct channel, but the phone won't be able to 'understand' it.
BUT it might work, as someone reported with a pair of Sony headphones. It might be that only original Apple earbuds use different resistances and third-party products may work with the reversed plug. Give it a try and please report back!

rbonon

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Would love to see the schematics and instructions on how to solder the OEM Samgung Galaxy S4 rocker/mic unit to Apple's iPhone 5 Earbuds. Not affraid to pry open cables and solder, but have no idea on how to identify which cable goes to which terminal on the jack. Also, there is always mention to Apple using different resistors, does it mean that even if identifying the cables and soldering properly it may not work? I just migrated from iPhone 5 to GS4, and I am loving everything except the fact of not being able to control music with the headphone rocker with the phone on the pocket. That is a big deal for me. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

JP Rodrigues

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, thank you! About as complete an explanation as anyone can give.. and it makes sense.... and all points aside, yet another reason I dont and wont support apple.

Phil Bowman

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to know what size resistor to use from mic to ground for a moto x

I have a moto x that i need to call a conference line then attach a cable to the head phone jack of a sound system. Below is what I have made up.

I now have a cable with a 3.5mm trs on one end and I installed a 3.5 mm trrs on the other end with a 1/2 watt 4.7 kohm resistor and ground to s and other end of resistor to r and right to r and left to t which works great sometimes but sometimes I have to wait 10 sec to 60 sec for it to connect.

I have a HTC one cable made up 3.5mm trs on one end and installed a 3.5mm trrs on other end with 1/2 watt 4.7 kohm resistor to s and ground and other end of resistor to r and right to r and left to t
and it works instantly every time i plug it in

I was wondering if moto x needs a different resistor. Can anyone help me
Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae