Disable apps feature

dafoot2

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I use the disable feature on a bunch of apps that I don't use. I like the feature so I'm not bothered by updates notification for apps I don't use. I've disabled a few with good results. For some reason I can't keep Google play books and Google play movies disabled. I click on disable and it accepts. Somehow during the course of the day these Apps get enabled again, and not by me. I usually notice it when I get an update notification in the bar up top. Is this something Google is doing and in stuck with the annoying updates or am I doing something wrong.I also don't use Google wallet and have tried to disable but it enables on it's own.I've also tried on my wife's phone but it's the same result.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This could be the result of Google's apps forcing themselves to enable. That is all I can guess, after all its Google and its what makes our phones live.

I could be totally wrong here, but I figure I would throw that out.

Shadowcat

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that too! I've disabled Google Books twice in the last 24 hours and it keeps coming back and then telling me I have an update. It's SO annoying. I haven't disabled any of the other Google apps cuz I'm still checking them out (only had this phone for a couple of days), but if I decide I don't need them, I'd like to be able to disable them. If this is a Google decision, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it. Do they really think reactivating apps that we've disabled is going to make us suddenly decide that we'll use them after all? What, like, if you can't beat them, you might as well join them? For me, that just pisses me off more and makes me more likely to not want to use other apps from them. Bad idea, Google!

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe Paul627g has hit it on the head. There are apps that restart themselves. In and of itself this isn't really a bad thing for apps like Google Books even if you don't use them other than that they keep listed in the apps catalog on the phone and they draw resources. If the resource drain is an issue to you may wish to root your phone, install Titanium Backup, and "freeze" the offending apps. This will prevent them from loading and using any phone resources and they will no longer show up in the apps list or have a visible icon. On the down side, rooting your phone probably voids the warranty and can "brick" your phone. Choices, always choices;)

dafoot2

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Yea kinda figured it was Google's doing.At least if you're going to force me Google to enable your apps allow me to turn off update notifications for those apps..don't need to be reminded every few hours to update an app I don't even want or use

Ted1Jones

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It is my understanding that disable apps feature only removes the apps from being visible in the app drawer. It does not keep them from loading, running or updating. To stop an app from running (i.e., using RAM) you have to stop it using the app manager or other tool like Android System Info. However, this will not keep them from loading or reloading.

Certain apps, many that come with your phone and some that you download, automatically load and run at startup. Some, such as USA Today, will reload immediately after you stop them. Many apps have certain "triggers" that case them to run (such as receipt of a text message or starting the camera app).

The only way I know of to stop apps from running when they want is to use a tool like Autostarts. It tells you what the triggers are for each app are (some have 10-20) and allows you to disable each trigger. Unfortunally, this only works on rooted phones. However, Autostarts will tell you why certain apps keep reappearing.

By the way, apps that come with your phone (crapware) cannot be uninstalled unless your phone is rooted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol