Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Default Re: SD card fried in new Galaxy S3

My 32 gig sd card just fried too. Ive had my galaxy since Early August and just started having problems. Im thinking that it is an engineering issue. The sd card slot gets very hot while the battery charges, since it is close to both the usb and battery. maybe this has something to do with it?

[COLOR="silver"]---------- Post Merged at 10:38 PM ---------- [SIZE=1]Previous Post was at 10:37 PM ----------[/SI

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

can everyone post exactly what they were doing when it happened?
    is there a corrolation?
    how did you notice it was "fried"?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

I have had a Galaxy S 2, the Galaxy Note and now a Galaxy S 3, all of them with the memory card slot in the same place roughly, near the battery. I have not had a card fail yet. My GS3 was purchased at launch.

SD cards can fail as soon as you put them in the device the first time. They are memory cards, and the circuitry in the cards is microscopic in nature. It only takes millivolts to fry a card. Have you ever touched a door knob and been shocked, well that is enough voltage to kill hundreds of sd cards at once. Memory chips for pcs used to be sold in anti-static bags to alleviate them being killed by errant voltage.

All this said, if a sd is dying an untimely death, look to possible spikes in power or surges. They could be dying because of your wall power coming through the charger cable. An overage of 0.1 volts can enter your handset and cause havoc if it strikes a poorly soldered connector or misaligned card.

But also as mentioned earlier, these sd cards are manufactured in the millions, and the testing of said cards may be non existant before they are boxed and shipped. These failing cards could be some of those.

Ever heard th e old saying that says to "never buy a car that was made on a friday or monday."

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

we should wear those antistatic wrist straps while handling them lol
    seriously though ive kept one in a jar of loose change for months n it worked. its just your luck as you say mate

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

I've had a 16GB fry in my S3, did an RMA on it which gave me a good reason to upgrade to a 32GB...a win-win situation. Reminds me of the good ole floppy days where you'd save something and them realize the diskette was bad once you got hom with. Electronics break and these are microscopic cheaply built electronics at that.

Just curious, how many of you used the UMS apps or scripts?

VZW SGS3 Tap a Talk

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by bassmig View Post
    I've had a 16GB fry in my S3, did an RMA on it which gave me a good reason to upgrade to a 32GB...a win-win situation. Reminds me of the good ole floppy days where you'd save something and them realize the diskette was bad once you got hom with. Electronics break and these are microscopic cheaply built electronics at that.
    lol i still hav floppys lyin around from my synth/sequencer

GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by vudugan View Post
    Just curious, how many of you used the UMS apps or scripts?

VZW SGS3 Tap a Talk
    no offence mate but EH?

GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Why would you keep that many pictures in your phone and never download them???

Sent from my SGH-T999

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by FBPD10 View Post
    Why would you keep that many pictures in your phone and never download them???

Sent from my SGH-T999
    well for example tonight i had great fun with Meme Generator app using old pics of my friends saved on facebook lol priceless
    ive also experienced the unexpected death of a very close brother so having these daft random pics of him are a huge comfort and make me smile

GT-I9300, UK

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    no offence mate but EH?

There are a couple of threads over at XDA that have solutions to seeing the actual thumbnail images on your phone/sdcard. Alot of us complained about this being new to the GS3, any phone prior would do this automatically. Just curious if most owners with the dying sdcard like myself used these solutions prior to the death of their sdcard.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by vudugan View Post
    There are a couple of threads over at XDA that have solutions to seeing the actual thumbnail images on your phone/sdcard. Alot of us complained about this being new to the GS3, any phone prior would do this automatically. Just curious if most owners with the dying sdcard like myself used these solutions prior to the death of their sdcard.
    ah right thanx. i dunno, some of them seem like noobs

GT-I9300, UK

My galaxy s3 has fried two sd cards of mine. In the first week or so I purchased it in July, my old samsung sd card died. I bought a sandisk from amazon, and 3 months later it died too, repeatedly shows "blank sd card" error.

I tend to think this is a S3 issue now.

Same problem here, Happened after waking up from an all night charge, battery got hot while charging. Doesn't happen everytime you charge but sometimes it will get hot and I think this may be the problem. Using the SD card from my Bionic and the charger and cable that came with the phone.

I plan to replace my main question is does anyone know of ANY way to get the information off the card before I scrap it? I had a lot of stuff on it I can't replace and don't want to loose. PC and my tablet recognize the card but won't mount it

I have a gs3 and just bought a brand new 32gb class 10 sd card and its not working. The phone reads it and can format it, it will even let me copy files to it and reads them sometimes just is really intermittent. Sometimes I can create a folder and other times it says"creation failed". I try to copy a folder with some music inn it and the first time i tried this it for to track five and said copying failed, I then formatted again and tried again.this time it for to track eleven then failed. When I tried deleting the music folder out says it succeeded but
    when I looked the filet and one track was still there. I'm returning the card tomorrow and I hope it wasjust a bad card but after reading these posts I'm worried is the phone

Howdy,
    New to the group and joined while looking for resolution to SD card issues. FYI...I had a 45min chat session with Samsung last night and the finally asked what kind of card I was using. I told them it was a 16GB class 10. They resonded back that I had to use class 2 or 4. Just curious, you guys have cards above class 4? I plugged in an OLD micro sd I had and it is working fine...what happened to State-of-the-Art technology?? I'm still looking for a better answer.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

im usin class 10. did samsung not care who the SD was made by.
    id have thought theyd insist that we use samsung ones.
    if a phone like the s3 cant handle high speed micro sd then its their problem and they should replace any damaged ones

GT-I9300, UK

Good job Jervangil. Very thorough.This is indeed the correct answer to this question. There maybe issues with heat while charging. But it is more likely user error. These cards are highly susceptible to static discharge. Brand, size, speed, usage, none of that matters if they are not proper cared for. Just uninstalling and re-installing them into a computer, adapter or cell can release a static discharge that fries the internal micro circuits. I cringe when I see people hanging on to them by the tips. I do indeed use a anti-static strap when installing them. And even that is not 100% foul proof. I have had a 8 gig for 3 years now. I have a 2 gig that I have had for 4 years. I have a 1 gig that fried within weeks. That one was indeed made on a Friday close to quitting time.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

tbh i think there is a problem with the s3 in particular though.
    ive read a lot of cases now

GT-I9300, UK

Same story here, my microSD HC SanDisk Ultra 32GB card just fried up in my Samsung Galaxy S3 (bought card on eBay).
    Card was installed in my phone for around three months. I had signs that there is something wrong with card for one month before it happened.
    Phone was showing message "preparing SD card" every time I woke up the phone, but card was continue to working so I didn't bother to backup.
    Now phone do not recognize the card and my PC doesn't as well.
    There is no way I could damage the card with static charge as Punkxasxfuk reckon because I was not touching it apart from the moment when I installed it in my phone three months ago.
    Now I'm waiting for new 32GB MicroSD from Samsung (bought on eBay too). I'll post in few months to let you know guys how it works
    After reading all these posts I think must be Samsung Galaxy s3 issue.
    Regards
    SD card fried in new Galaxy S3-microsd.jpg

@edit 03-16-2013
    Its five months passing now with Samsung 32GB microSD without any issue
    Last edited by martinseeker; 03-16-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,886 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Almost a month in with my Patriot Class 10 32GB and still holding strong. $40 at the local store. Another option to consider.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by martinseeker View Post
    Same story here, my microSD HC SanDisk Ultra 32GB card just fried up in my Samsung Galaxy S3 (bought card on eBay).
    Card was installed in my phone for around three months. I had signs that there is something wrong with card for one month before it happened.
    Phone was showing message "preparing SD card" every time I woke up the phone, but card was continue to working so I didn't bother to backup.
    Now phone do not recognize the card and my PC doesn't as well.
    There is no way I could damage the card with static charge as Punkxasxfuk reckon because I was not touching it apart from the moment when I installed it in my phone three months ago.
    Now I'm waiting for new 32GB MicroSD from Samsung (bought on eBay too). I'll post in few months to let you know guys how it works
    After reading all these posts I think must be Samsung Galaxy s3 issue.
    Regards
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	microSD.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	42290

I had almost the exact same thing happen to my 64gb card. Went to sandisk.com and found a number to call. Long story short is I returned the faulty card via RMA and a replacement was received less then 10 days later. Original purchased from Amazon but was outside of return window.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

how long is the return window for Amazon man?

GT-I9300, UK

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    how long is the return window for Amazon man?

30 days.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

thanx mate.
    so if i end up having to return mine to SanDisk.. what kind of proof of purchase would i need? i didnt keep the paper that came with it from Amazon

GT-I9300, UK
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast