SD card fried in new Galaxy S3

Dubg

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I got the S3 on Thursday and wake up today and my SD card is fried. It worked fine last nite when I was listening to music saved on it. This morning nothing can read the card. I don't know for sure that the phone did it, but it looks suspicious. Guess I'll try again with another card and see what happens. If this has happened to anybody else let me know. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Where did you purchase your SD card? A few years ago I purchased a flash drive from ebay and it was counterfeit. SD cards on ebay could be the same I hear.

Dubg

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought the card from Best Buy about a year ago. I've been using it in my Atrix without any problem. When I upgraded my phone I moved the card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Could've simply failed. All electronics are capable of failing and aren't necessarily the fault of the device it's in but just simply poor components or quality control. It may seem odd that it just happened since it was moved to the S3 but trust me, as an IT Tech I see this sort of thing all the time. At my firm there are always a few PC's for example that never turn back on after the once a year power down. They are on all day everyday but the minute they get turned off they just fail and won't turn back on. It happens.

Rev.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I had a 8gb SD card that heated up when ever it was being used and it literally broke in half so defective cards can happen . The bad thing was when I had the card in my phone it would cause the phone to get so hot that the battery would drain from a full charge to empty in 10 minutes!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

ttrimmer

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I just had a card fail tonight too. There's also a thread in the Verizon forum from someone else with the issue as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I had a 16GB fail in my S3 as well. I have had it RMA's by the manufacturer. I formatted it but never tried to use it in my S3 and then one night I was trying to transfer some stuff and I couldn;t connect to the phone, getting an error and after some troubleshooting the card was the problem. It was stuck in read only mode. I tried everything and to no avail. I ordered a 32 GB and am waiting on my 16GB RMA.

wojno110

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Im in the same boat. Got the phone last night,they popped in the card from my Droid X that I have used for 2 years. It worked last night and again this morning when I tried to back up the card on my work PC. After fighting through that crappy software Sammy has to share files with PCs and it not allowing me to do the simple copy and paste, I gave up. Figured I'll bring in my old phone and hook it up tomorrow. Well, by the time I got home, not using the phone at all during the day really, it had fried the card. It doesn't work in the X where it was for 2 years. Now I am without my 500 some pictures I've taken over the last 2 years. Thanks Sammy!

silverdrake11

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Same issue. I bought a 32gb sandisk sd card off of amazon to store music for my new galaxy s3. After like 3 weeks it fried. No devices will read it anymore.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
has anyone done any research to see if its known to samsung? if so, they would (mAyBe) give u a sd to replace it?
i have an old crappy 8Gb sd in mine and its fine so far (had my s3 since day one in UK)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a 32 gig Sandisk class 4 card go bad after 2 weeks. I ordered from amazon and it was in Sandisk sealed packaging. I replaced that card with a 16 gig Samsung class 10 card. It's been a week and so far so good, but we will see. Hopefully it was just a bad card.

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
if the card was bought new they will RMA it, it will cost you shipping but that's still cheaper than a new card at least. I just stuck mine in a manilla envelope inside the paperwork I have to send with the card in it's plastic case. Only cost the price of a postage stamp. Mine was a Patriot.

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
how odd..What is the commonality of the situation? Are you guys all on the same carrier (not like I suspect that should matter unless it is an issue with the manufacturing process for that particular phone model....

I have a ty old 8GB card in mine that is at least 3-4 years old and no issues with it thus far. It has been 2-3 weeks since I have had it in the phone. I am with Telus in Canada.

codeman0624

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I've also had this problem, with two brand new 32gig PNY cards from best buy. Same sequence of events...it started repeatedly saying the card was removed improperly, then saying it needed to be formatted, then saying it couldn't read it at all. Now nothing will read the card, not even my PC.

I'm on Verizon, and I'm beginning to wonder if the combination of searching for a 4G signal, with a tight-fitting case, plus being in my pocket is literally cooking the SD card. But still frustrating that the majority of people do not have this problem. It seems like a hardware issue.

Baba meca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
This happened with my 16gb sd card (coming from my old droid x) in my new Samsung galaxy 3. The funny thing is that my friend also has droid x with 16 gb sd and he also get Galaxy 3 and same think happened to him to. It something wrong wit Galaxy 3:mad:

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I had that issue with samsung galaxy tab plus tablet. I almost lost all photos. I had to use photo recovery software as sd card got corrupted and would not show any photos. needless to say I went back to my ................. blackberry playbook 64gb version.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital