Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD card fried in new Galaxy S3

I got the S3 on Thursday and wake up today and my SD card is fried. It worked fine last nite when I was listening to music saved on it. This morning nothing can read the card. I don't know for sure that the phone did it, but it looks suspicious. Guess I'll try again with another card and see what happens. If this has happened to anybody else let me know. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: SD card fried in new Galaxy S3

It could be your sd card was defective. Keep in mind that there are a lot of counterfit sd cards out there.
    Rev2010 and MERCDROID like this.

Where did you purchase your SD card? A few years ago I purchased a flash drive from ebay and it was counterfeit. SD cards on ebay could be the same I hear.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I bought the card from Best Buy about a year ago. I've been using it in my Atrix without any problem. When I upgraded my phone I moved the card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Could've simply failed. All electronics are capable of failing and aren't necessarily the fault of the device it's in but just simply poor components or quality control. It may seem odd that it just happened since it was moved to the S3 but trust me, as an IT Tech I see this sort of thing all the time. At my firm there are always a few PC's for example that never turn back on after the once a year power down. They are on all day everyday but the minute they get turned off they just fail and won't turn back on. It happens.

Rev.
    Galaxy S5
    Ubuntu Linux 12.04
    IT Tech
    MERCDROID likes this.

I had a 8gb SD card that heated up when ever it was being used and it literally broke in half so defective cards can happen . The bad thing was when I had the card in my phone it would cause the phone to get so hot that the battery would drain from a full charge to empty in 10 minutes!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    jimbo1mcm likes this.

I just had a card fail tonight too. There's also a thread in the Verizon forum from someone else with the issue as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

I had a 16GB fail in my S3 as well. I have had it RMA's by the manufacturer. I formatted it but never tried to use it in my S3 and then one night I was trying to transfer some stuff and I couldn;t connect to the phone, getting an error and after some troubleshooting the card was the problem. It was stuck in read only mode. I tried everything and to no avail. I ordered a 32 GB and am waiting on my 16GB RMA.

Im in the same boat. Got the phone last night,they popped in the card from my Droid X that I have used for 2 years. It worked last night and again this morning when I tried to back up the card on my work PC. After fighting through that crappy software Sammy has to share files with PCs and it not allowing me to do the simple copy and paste, I gave up. Figured I'll bring in my old phone and hook it up tomorrow. Well, by the time I got home, not using the phone at all during the day really, it had fried the card. It doesn't work in the X where it was for 2 years. Now I am without my 500 some pictures I've taken over the last 2 years. Thanks Sammy!

Same issue. I bought a 32gb sandisk sd card off of amazon to store music for my new galaxy s3. After like 3 weeks it fried. No devices will read it anymore.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

has anyone done any research to see if its known to samsung? if so, they would (mAyBe) give u a sd to replace it?
    i have an old crappy 8Gb sd in mine and its fine so far (had my s3 since day one in UK)

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

I had a 32 gig Sandisk class 4 card go bad after 2 weeks. I ordered from amazon and it was in Sandisk sealed packaging. I replaced that card with a 16 gig Samsung class 10 card. It's been a week and so far so good, but we will see. Hopefully it was just a bad card.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

did amazon refund u?

My husband's 32 gig SD card fried this weekend. It's maybe 2 months old?

Quote Originally Posted by lilspicy79 View Post
    My husband's 32 gig SD card fried this weekend. It's maybe 2 months old?
    What brand?!?! Samsung, Kingston, PNY, SanDisk, Transcend, G. Skill, Lexar, Team, etc etc etc......

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

if the card was bought new they will RMA it, it will cost you shipping but that's still cheaper than a new card at least. I just stuck mine in a manilla envelope inside the paperwork I have to send with the card in it's plastic case. Only cost the price of a postage stamp. Mine was a Patriot.

how odd..What is the commonality of the situation? Are you guys all on the same carrier (not like I suspect that should matter unless it is an issue with the manufacturing process for that particular phone model....

I have a ty old 8GB card in mine that is at least 3-4 years old and no issues with it thus far. It has been 2-3 weeks since I have had it in the phone. I am with Telus in Canada.

I've also had this problem, with two brand new 32gig PNY cards from best buy. Same sequence of events...it started repeatedly saying the card was removed improperly, then saying it needed to be formatted, then saying it couldn't read it at all. Now nothing will read the card, not even my PC.

I'm on Verizon, and I'm beginning to wonder if the combination of searching for a 4G signal, with a tight-fitting case, plus being in my pocket is literally cooking the SD card. But still frustrating that the majority of people do not have this problem. It seems like a hardware issue.

This happened with my 16gb sd card (coming from my old droid x) in my new Samsung galaxy 3. The funny thing is that my friend also has droid x with 16 gb sd and he also get Galaxy 3 and same think happened to him to. It something wrong wit Galaxy 3

Global Posts
    2,490 Global Posts

I had that issue with samsung galaxy tab plus tablet. I almost lost all photos. I had to use photo recovery software as sd card got corrupted and would not show any photos. needless to say I went back to my ................. blackberry playbook 64gb version.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2

Personally I wouldnt put a used as card in since they are so cheap. If I did then I would wipe and reformat it. I also wouldn't rely on any sd card as my only storage for photos as I have had too many cards fail over the years

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.

S3 fried my SD card as well. New Lexar card -- not cheap. Also trashed the internal file system.

Was able to get a replacement phone. No problems in two weeks, now.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by WAWood8 View Post
    S3 fried my SD card as well. New Lexar card -- not cheap. Also trashed the internal file system.

Was able to get a replacement phone. No problems in two weeks, now.
    did they reimburse the sd card too?
    ive got a class 10 sandisk in the mail and worried now lol.
    was anyone doing anything in particular when the sd "fried"?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
    cmgodwin likes this.

Same story. Just fried my second brand new 16 GB Lexar card two weeks after the first one.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

got my class10 32gb sandisk few days ago and so far/so good.......

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast