Format 64GB SDXC to Fat32?

anon(77329)

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to format a 64GB SDXC card to Fat32? I've tried several programs on Windows 7 and none have worked. I even tried doing it through the Command Prompt with no luck.

The reason I want Fat32 is because CWM can't recognize exFat.

Also, it might be a couple days till I can try again as I accidentally chose to format my main hard drive instead of the SD card one time.....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Win 7 regular disk tools should be able to..

I'll try on my phone and see

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The phone will format the card. An don't do it if it does not need it. exFat allow you larger chunks of information. Why not run the clock work on the phone?

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to format a 64GB SDXC card to Fat32? I've tried several programs on Windows 7 and none have worked. I even tried doing it through the Command Prompt with no luck.

The reason I want Fat32 is because CWM can't recognize exFat.

Also, it might be a couple days till I can try again as I accidentally chose to format my main hard drive instead of the SD card one time.....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I had this problem too... It will work fine unless you need to use Clockwork recovery, which won't see it.
The the Sprint S3 forum, under Rooting ROMs and Hacks, there's a thread showing the free program that I ended up using to get it to work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

EDIT: This is the program that I used...

http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

And this is the forum that I found it in, where he explains how he did it. It's in a the Toshiba Thrive forum, but it still worked...

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/t...431-i-figured-out-how-use-64gb-cards-cwm.html

Last edited:

lortay78

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I can't get that software to see my sd. I am going to try and reformat with SDformatter and try it again. Thanks for posting. This is the closest thing I have found to what I need. Trying to run a 64gb sdxc card with CM10 on Transformer Prime.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't get that software to see my sd. I am going to try and reformat with SDformatter and try it again. Thanks for posting. This is the closest thing I have found to what I need. Trying to run a 64gb sdxc card with CM10 on Transformer Prime.

Any luck?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Tomab

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Exfat seems to really mess with mp3 music tags and file names too. I finally reformatted to fat32 which fixed all my file name issues. See the link below:

[Q] exFAT file system on microSD cards - xda-developers

I had similar issues.
1) Folders & files would show up on my phone, but Windows would not display all of them.
2) The phone would add junk on the names of files and folders, making them unreadable.
3) Windows would randomly say the SD card was write protected.

Last night I formatted the card on my computer to fat32 and now everything works exactly as it should. Formatting using the phone does not work. You must remove the card and use your computer to reformat using fat32 for it to work properly. Highly recommended.

foucher68

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that! After using EaseUS partition manager my Galaxy Note now reads the card just fine. I got it via majorgeeks rather than cnet though cause nowadays that site tries to drop all kinds of crap on your comp.

Xain Sanchez

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Click on Start and then click on Run... Type CMD to bring up a Command box and here type in Format /fs:FAT32 driveletter: where driveletter is what appears as the assigned driveletter for the SD card on your machine. Press Enter and you will asked if you want to proceed.

Once you confirm the operation you will see information stating what the current Filesystem is and that it will be changed to FAT32. It will format the card and then verify it which will probably a while - it took nearly five minutes to verify a 2Gb Sd Card!

Once done it will ask you for a Volume Name, just press ENTER for NONE. You will then be given a report. Type EXIT, press ENTER and remove your card.

Plug it in again to verify the format by right clicking on the Drive letter and selecting Properties. Here you should see FAT32 as the File system.

Good luck,

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I just tried to format a Sandisk 64GB sdxc card this way, and the format failed (after running nearly forever, with an error that said "the volume is too big for FAT32." Has anyone else had a problem with this?

Click on Start and then click on Run... Type CMD to bring up a Command box and here type in Format /fs:FAT32 driveletter: where driveletter is what appears as the assigned driveletter for the SD card on your machine. Press Enter and you will asked if you want to proceed.

Once you confirm the operation you will see information stating what the current Filesystem is and that it will be changed to FAT32. It will format the card and then verify it which will probably a while - it took nearly five minutes to verify a 2Gb Sd Card!

Once done it will ask you for a Volume Name, just press ENTER for NONE. You will then be given a report. Type EXIT, press ENTER and remove your card.

Plug it in again to verify the format by right clicking on the Drive letter and selecting Properties. Here you should see FAT32 as the File system.

Good luck,

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to format a Sandisk 64GB sdxc card this way, and the format failed (after running nearly forever, with an error that said "the volume is too big for FAT32." Has anyone else had a problem with this?

Yup...that's the problem that I was having before I tried the program I mentioned above. Worked like a charm. :thumbup:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01