How to enable USB Mass Storage (Disables Kies)

Dave4321

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted, but doing this will make windows recognize both the internal memory and the sd card as a hard drive.

Download Anycut.

Install and run
-New Shortcut
-Activity
-USB Setting
-OK
Return to homescreen and find the icon
Click
Select "Mass Storage"
Click OK

Kies is now turned off and your phone will be recognized as a hard drive (even though Windows 7 says it is a Portable Media player). Just double click on it and you have access to both the internal memory and the sd card.

For verizon users, make a shortcut to "HiddenMenuWifiOffload" to disable those annoying wifi popups.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Does this actually make a difference?

I have Nova launcher installed so I don't need the Anycut app - you can long press on the homescreen / shortcut / activities / usb setting / usb settings - that shortcut does bring up a choice between Mass Storage and Samsung Kies.

I changed to mass storage and plugged my phone into the computer and the result seems exactly the same as before? Also note I do not have Samsung Kies installed on my computer.

Kies is now turned off and your phone will be recognized as a hard drive (even though Windows 7 says it is a Portable Media player). Just double click on it and you have access to both the internal memory and the sd card.

This is how it was for me before toggling this USB setting (in Windows 7). The main gripes I have are the slower transfer rates and the fact that it seems if I MOVE a folder to another directory on the same storage, it actually COPIES it then deletes it. This can be a much slower process than simply changing the location of the folder/files on the disk without any actual copying. I moved my music folder from extsdcard/home/users/music to extsdcard/music and it took like 20 minutes!

Also there's a little bit of a compatibility problem with older computers than can recognize UMS but not MTP/PTP.

Last edited:

sunlifexxx

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
For Mac users: I had to use android transfer, the application that was needed to connect my Xoom to my PC. Android.com start up android transfer on your Mac 1st before you connect your phone or will not work . Make sure on the G S III you have it set to Camera mode or MTP application. if you can't find it it's okay as when you 1st connect your phone to the USB you need to pull the notifications down, and you will see the USB symbol. You are given a choice to change it. Go ahead and change it. If the app doesn't work unplug it from the USB . go ahead and restart the transfer program and reconnect her phone.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Wifi File Explorer FTW!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

+1

Plus similar performance to the USB File Copies. Additionally, don't try to delete a large file on you phone via the USB connection because at least for me it takes forever and over WiFi Explorer Pro it happens almost instantaneously.

Mike

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Wifi is great for my home network - I always use that over USB. However if I'm at a remote PC somewhere it's usually not quite as easy to be on their wifi and establish a LAN connection with their computer. That's when UMS would be nice!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted, but doing this will make windows recognize both the internal memory and the sd card as a hard drive.

Download Anycut.

Install and run
-New Shortcut
-Activity
-USB Setting
-OK
Click
Select "Mass Storage"
Click OK

For verizon users, make a shortcut to "HiddenMenuWifiOffload" to disable those annoying wifi popups.

nice one man. a few people have asked me how to do this :) how do u reverse it?

avhokie

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site

Download Anycut.

Install and run
-New Shortcut
-Activity
-USB Setting
-OK
Click
Select "Mass Storage"
Click OK

This doesn't seem to do anything for me. It still connects as MTP, which both fails to transfer files greater than about 1.5MB and also locks up my screen with the MTP app until I unplug from USB!

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? BTW, I tried freezing the MTP app (with Titanium Backup) and after that my PC doesn't show the phone at all (even though the phone says that it is connected).

Roffles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
i've tried all the usb mass storage tricks and nothing has worked for me. maybe it's the way i'm rooted, the versions of SU and busy box i'm using? i've sort of given up on it. this is my major complaint for this phone because MTP sucks! the closest i've come to making MTP half functional is to put the phone in airplane mode and then do my file transfers. for whatever reason...getting a text, e-mail or any other sort of wireless activity causes MTP to freeze and fails the transfer. so airplane mode makes it work.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Agree with the comment about hooking up to others computers BUT for your home Airdroid is the best for transferring in either direction.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I got so tired of the MTP mode crap (under Linux) I now just use the FTP server built into ES File Explorer. Really like it too as now I don't have to get and plug in a cable. Just doesn't transfer as fast as a cable though.

Rev.

sdssix

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Is this still working? I read this post and tried but it doesn't work with MTP or PTP.... I tried all combination of restarting, reconnecting (usb), and MTP/PTP.... I read some thread on google that the latest ICS update might have caused this.. do you know anything about this? please let me know...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
not working in galaxy core gt i8262.
error '' unfortunately stopped ''
You are referring to USB Mass Storage Enabler: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.mohammadag.samsungusbmassstorageenabler - yes?

And your phone is rooted?

Since only specific models are listed as being supported, and your model is not one of them, you may want to contact the developer directly mohammad7410@gmail.com to see if you can get an answer.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1