Music player various questions

noturbizniss

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a Droid X the 2 things I am missing on the S3 (i may actually just not be aware of how to do this) is:
1.If I am listening to a long track (e.g. podcast) and don't listen for a few hours then when i press play on the stock player it restarts from the beginning. On my old X, even if i turned off the phone it would resume from the last point. I would love if it would keep the track location for all tracks (similar to what MX Player does for videos), but at the least, is there a way to resume the most recent track?
2. I have yet to figure out how to get the music controls onto the actual lock screen - I've read that that is part of stock ICS, but again, i have no idea how to get it onto the S3 Touchwiz lockscreen. Any one have a solution to these?

Thanks guys!

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If listening to podcast and want it to save your progress, try using a podcast app such as Beyond Pod or Pocketcast. IMO the stock player is mainly for music and therefore will not save your progress.

For the music player controls while on lock screen, just pull down notification bar. The controls are in there.

noturbizniss

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I actually download the podcast mp3s sos i can listen on the subway.

I was kinda hoping the controls would be on the face cuz i dont have the time to be swiping and such!!:-[

2guests

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
There is a music player widget with all the controls that you can put on the face. Check under the widget list. Not sure about getting it on the lock screen.

Last edited:

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I use pocket cast for my podcast needs. I download them at night and listen to them in the morning. It remembers where I am when I stop or exit an app.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2

noturbizniss

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I download radio talk shows also that can be like 3.5 hours and its a pin in the neck to have to find my spot in them - if my droid x & droid 2 could do it there must be a way for the S3 to as well. On the same note sometimes a newly downloaded mp3 file does not show up in the muic file list until i delte something thasts currenly in there i.e. if i delte yesterdays show from my phone then the new one shows up. If i go into the file manager and open it in music from there it plays but once i press home button or back it stops playing :-(

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been using DoogCatcher for podcasts for over a year and love it. It automatically downloads podcasts and keep track of where I am in each show if I leave in the middle to switch to another one. It is a paid app but it now costs less than I paid originally. I think under $5.

EdwardsNH

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I second Doggcatcher (fyi its two "g"s, not two "o"s).

If you are downloading Stern, or whatever radio you are downloading, you can create a "virtual feed", and have it update, as you add to the folder you pointed it to.

Doggcatcher can have a bit of a learning curve. I downloaded it 2 years ago, but it took me a couple of months to actually use it. Then I realized how amazingly feature rich it is.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
When I was using Rdio this weekend I was shocked to see music player controls on the lockscreen. I have a feeling it's a matter of the app, as it always has been. From my understanding it has to do with the API and it's all a matter of if the developer of the app takes advantage of the call. If they do the lockscreen is set up for it the controls will be there.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
PowerAmp music player resumes where you left it.
not sure about after a reboot though.
what id love is like a bookmark (like on kindle etc) add-on so i can stop in middle of a podcast or mix-tape, play somethin else, then go back to where i left off

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
+1 on PowerAmp it actually resumes even after reboot. I don't listen to podcasts or anything so I can't vouch for that, but as far as music is concerned it will resume as soon as you plug in a headset (direct or through Bluetooth).

brmayes

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Regarding music controls on the lock screen: Touchwiz replaced the standard Android lock screen with one of their own, so except for the stock Touchwiz music player, music controls won't display on the lock screen.

But if you set up a pattern or pin lock screen, that is standard Android and the music controls from third party apps will display as intended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08