How to remove Rogers default apps

tacsniper

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to remove Rogers default apps? Their visual voicemail app is driving me nuts. Every time I connect to wifi, I get a notification that the visual voicemail app does not work over wifi. I want to remove all their junk apps from the phone.

Any help will be appreciated.

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
You can goto "Manage Applications"... select the All tab... then choose the specific Rogers app. First you may need to choose to Uninstall Updates... then you can choose DISABLE. Then you didn't see it anymore.

That voicemail app is so annoying...!

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I immediately disabled all Rogers apps. I wish they would just exist as an optional download in the play store, the fact that they're on the phone to begin with is stupid.

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
the fact that they're on the phone to begin with is stupid.

If you paid a subsidized rate for the phone then no, they aren't stupid, they're worth about $500. It's nice that we can uninstall, or at least hide, them so we don't have to deal with them any more unlike the iPhone.

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
If you really wanted rid of them you could root and uninstall them using titanium backup which can remove system apps. Or you could flash a non carrier branded firmware through Odin. Both very drastic measures though and disabling them will work just fine :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Simple solution is just uninstalled updates and disable.
The one app that is actually useful is the visual voice mail. The problem is the notifications don't go away even when you subscribe to the service. It's driving me nuts and no one from Rogers is offering any help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
If you paid a subsidized rate for the phone then no, they aren't stupid, they're worth about $500. It's nice that we can uninstall, or at least hide, them so we don't have to deal with them any more unlike the iPhone.

The apps themselves are worth $500? Ok.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

very good point mate. $500 is an exageration though. you get the phone cheap to instill loyalty too

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thats true man. i hate to sound like a broken record but more people in the US should wean themself off the subsidy trap and buy a handset, get a pre-pay sim and feel free :)

Wilfroid

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
While we're on the topic of uninstalling Rogers apps: and particularly their silly Visual Voicemail:

Has any one tried another visual voicemail app, like YouMail. They seem to get raving reviews.

I switch my iPhone (after several devices for 5 years) for the Motorola RAZR HD. Love the phone, just that the visual voicemail app on iPhone s way better than the Rogers attempt.

So: like to hear of any better alternatices for V-Voicemail. Thanks !

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If you root your phone, you can freeze most of the Verizon apps (there might be one or two that are integral to the phone's operation on the Verizon network *smile*). For voicemail, I'm using google voice, that works quite well for me.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No, all a Factory Reset will do is reset the phone back to the way it was when you took it out of the box.
Why do you need to get rid of the Rogers apps?
You can disable most (but not all) bloatware that comes on the various carrier-specific phones, and if you add it all up it's probably only taking up 300MB or so of space on your internal storage. So even if you only have 16GB total (around 11GB usable) it's so miniscule as to be irrelevant.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Turnerchuk

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I bought the phone from a guy who originally purchased it from Rogers. I don't use Rogers so I don't need their apps.
I know its only about 300mb, but I still remember the commodore 64, so 300mb is still a lot to me;)
Besides, it is my 300mb, lol.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I don't know that you could flash different firmware (for whoever your carrier is now) on that phone, and even if you did, it would have THEIR bloatware on it. There's really only two things you can do:
1. Root the phone as it is, then use a tool like Titanium Backup: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup to remove the bloatware. Be sure to make a backup before you get rid of apps in case doing so has unintended consequences.
2. Load an AOSP/AOKP ROM, which won't have any/much bloatware. Learn to do without some of the features working the way they do with the stock ROM.
Frankly I wouldn't recommend either route - just read all of the stories from people that have trashed their phones; voided the warranty; etc, because they had no idea what they were doing. Is it really worth all of that to get rid of some carrier's crapware? Just hide the stuff in the app drawer and disable what you can.
But, as you said, it's your phone...

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad