Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cant save pictures from mms messages

Hello,

There does not seem to be a way to save a picture received via mms on this phone. Tried last night to no avail even with the long press method. Is this an OS glitch or am I perhaps doing something wrong? We have KIK on our phones but found that that app totally degrades the photo quality when sent with them. Lame.
    Last edited by lovin2act; 07-17-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Cant save pictures from mms messages

I can do it via Handcent. They show up in my Gallery.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I got the WhatsApp to do this for the time being, seems they dont lower the pic quality like Kik.app

was just trying this, and using stock SMS app, I just long pressed on the picture and said save attachment, it saved it to the downloads folder on the internal sdcard. Maybe have to exit/reload SMS app so the msg is "old"? My test was with old message.
    Last edited by visegrip72; 07-17-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added details since OP tried long press
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah no go still even after exiting. So strange!

Try rebooting the gone and try again. Press and hold on the pic, and click save attachment.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Rebooted just now, still no option to save mms photo in the stock sms app after long hold. Screen sort of blinks but that's it. But in WhatsApp it lets me save a pic just fine.

Long press the message a pop up some and there is an option to "save attachment" investment

Or

Click on the message with the mms, then click on the menu button and the same option for save attachment is there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

The only option I have found is:
    Open the mms message, press the menu button, select save attachment. It now saves under the "download" folder of your gallery.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yeah both mine and my wife's don't have any of these options come up. Weird.

You want to long press on the message while you're in the bubble view of your mms chat. This will bring up the "save attachment" menu. If I open up the message in full screen and long press the picture nothing comes up either.
    Thanked by 3:
    marblejay likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Motoslave View Post
    You want to long press on the message while you're in the bubble view of your mms chat. This will bring up the "save attachment" menu. If I open up the message in full screen and long press the picture nothing comes up either.
    Anaaaad we have a winner! Motoslave, my deepest thanks Never would have thought to go about it that way, was thinking the attachment had to be open first. High praises to thee friend!!!!

Yup you have to click on the message itself

from MY SIII in sunny FL.

Ah, sometimes over-thinking the problem makes it more difficult. Cool you figured it out.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Now if someone could figure out how to save the mms attached picture to the extSDcard rather than the internal SDcard as a default, that would be awesome!

Samsung really needs to work on SMS and MMS... It's poorly designed and rudimentary. Whether it's single MMS pictures turning into slideshows, the fact you can't easily save pictures, or quickly send pictures through MMS etc.

I feel so dumb that I didn't try that! Worked fine and was able to get the pic from my gallery. Thanks!

don't open the attachment just press and hold on the display in the thread and the options to save attachment delete ect will appear

I personally would just replace the stock app with a much better and easier one from the Google Play store...I use GoSMS and its WAY better than stock I am much more satisfied, plus I can changes the colors to whatever I want

I never had a problem saving a picture that was sent to my phone via messaging. Now all of a sudden the picture's coming through like a media file with an arrow on it (like watching You Tube). If I hold the pic it goes into "download" mode and sets up like a media file. If I click "menu" I get the following options: Forward, Lock message, Delete messages, Attached items and View message details. I've tried to forward the pic to my email but that doesn't work. I'm not happy about this and can't figure out what happened in the last two weeks to change the way pics arrive via messaging. Was it an "update"? I can't track it. Can anyone help me please?

thanks for great info
    tried it and got to view pics on my pc
    but now can't cut (or copy) and paste from my phone to pc?
    mind you, i also couldn't forward the message as the pic too large... maybe i need save in diff format but don't know how!

GOT IT!! - have to copy and paste individually!!

You are a genius! That was it. I was ready to throw the phone away

It worked!!! Thanks for sharing your solution with the masses.

Hi there,

I am able to save the photos, but now I can't find them. They are too big to forward, and they do not appear in the download or the photo albums! What am I missing! Is there anyother way to get a photo from a MMS to my computer?

Thumbs up Re: Cant save pictures from mms messages

I was beginning to wonder- How good of an Android phone the Galaxy S3 could be if it couldn't download and display simple mms images. I had tried just about everything that I could think of and only managed to save a couple of the images as wallpaper so as not to lose them. The rest were locked in limbo as messages from my daughter. Wow! I knew that there was a way to save those images, and that it couldn't be that complicated. Samsung is very sparse on its instructions for the use of its products. However, the response that I got on Android Central from MotoSlave was just what the doctor ordered to fix this little dilemma.

Thank you very much MotoSlave. It is amazing that manufacturers through their failure to document the stuff that they peddle can turn the simplest thing into a nightmare, simply because they refuse to provide the simple instructions required to perform the simple task in the first place. MotoSlave, I don't know how you figured it out, but in my book you're a genius! Maybe I might have; through pure perseverance, eventually figured out this step, but because of you, now I don't have to! Thanks again, Dude!

Manford Danies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast