Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Is there a bedside mode

Quote Originally Posted by minsc View Post
    Is there a desktop dock for the SGS3? I had one for my SGS2 and it did exactly what you want: drop it in the dock and it dims the screen, and after 5 minutes would display just a low-light digital clock. (in much the same way as putting it in a car dock would put the device in car mode) It was perfect for me, and I ended up throwing away my traditional alarm clock.
    Yes, there is - but I tried it at the Verizon store. The device sits vertical and the stand does nothing to really support the device. It basically sits on the USB connections - one small bump and over it goes. It appeared to me that it was wear and/or loosen the connection on the device side. I don't remember the model number but it was a genuine Samsung product.

EDIT: This is what it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EDD-D2...idcentral00-20

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Yes, there is - but I tried it at the Verizon store. The device sits vertical and the stand does nothing to really support the device. It basically sits on the USB connections - one small bump and over it goes. It appeared to me that it was wear and/or loosen the connection on the device side. I don't remember the model number but it was a genuine Samsung product.

EDIT: This is what it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EDD-D2...idcentral00-20
    Hmm, that's disappointing. So the device doesn't even go into a special "dock mode" when you put it in the cradle? I was actually going to get that exact dock this weekend since I miss the old one on my SGS2 so much.

I got the SG3 yesterday, and really missed the HD dock that I had with my Razr. I finally found this thread with the info about desk clock mode from the stock clock app (thanks wilfreb!!)

I purchased this: Amazon.com: Motorola Universal Flip Stand Mount for Smartphones - Retail Packaging - Red/White: Cell Phones & Accessories

It has not been shipped to me yet, but I think that it may work pretty well as a universal dock.

You might want to look at

I came from Blackberry too and missed the bedside mode. This will turn off all notifications and have a decent clock in most orientations. You can change the clock style and color. I have a case that will stand vertical or horizontal. In the horizontal mode it looks like and old fashioned red LED clock. Perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by delldude405 View Post
    I hate replies like these.

Everyone has their preference. I like to use a traditional alarm clock. And yes a camera takes better pictures than a phone with a camera feature. A stand alone GPS works just as well if not better sometimes. Cell signal, data usage. So please consider the options before you hate something so quickly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Take take your own meds, buddy. The original poster wants to be able to have what he wants to have. Who are you to say that he should do it differently?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    GC736, tlsg and Shucker like this.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evilsanta2 View Post
    One of the few things I really miss from my Crackberry....
    Agreed.

Miss the ability to silence everything but phone calls and alarm clock at night on my Torch. Was easily configurable to activate when plugged in but only between certain times.

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilfreb View Post
    just open the clock on your S3 and scroll to the end to "desk clock''
    there you can customize your bedside mode, i use it all night, its awesome.
    Another Blackberry convert looking for bedside mode... I have only had this phone (Galaxy S3) about a week, so I'm still learning where stuff is - but I can't find the setting you refer to above... If I open the clock (by going into the Apps pages), there is nothing in the Settings menu called Desk Clock... I must be confused about where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by fotyc View Post
    Another Blackberry convert looking for bedside mode... I have only had this phone (Galaxy S3) about a week, so I'm still learning where stuff is - but I can't find the setting you refer to above... If I open the clock (by going into the Apps pages), there is nothing in the Settings menu called Desk Clock... I must be confused about where to look.
    fotyc, when you go into the clock (from apps) there is a bar at the top showing alarm, world clock, etc. Swipe to the right on this bar and Desk Clock is on the end right after timer. Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
    fotyc 

1. Who looks at a clock while sleeping?
    2. An alarm clock works just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    I hate comments like this.
    1) If I wake up in the middle of the night and want to know what time it is...hey look a clock!
    2) Alarm clock...hmm...yeah I remember those from 10+ years ago before I had a semi-smart phone. We could just say "a camera works fine", "a pager works fine", "a computer works fine", "a gps unit works fine", etc. until we go back to dumb phones with no features because who needs an alarm clock on your phone when you can have one not on your phone! Is that what you had in mind? lol
    I hate replies like these.
    Everyone has their preference. I like to use a traditional alarm clock. And yes a camera takes better pictures than a phone with a camera feature. A stand alone GPS works just as well if not better sometimes. Cell signal, data usage. So please consider the options before you hate something so quickly.
    Delldude, I think the point is that the OP asked for a solution to his need, not yours. In essence, you said his request is dumb, which is uncalled for. If you don't have an answer, there's really no need to post at all.

For what it's worth, I have a stand-alone GPS, multiple stand-alone cameras, and use an alarm clock next to my bed. None of that is really relevant to the OP.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    fotyc 
    Shucker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by llebcire View Post
    Agreed.
    Miss the ability to silence everything but phone calls and alarm clock at night on my Torch. Was easily configurable to activate when plugged in but only between certain times.
    The S3 has this capability, unless you got it from Verizon, who apparently feels you don't need it. Look in Settings / Blocking Mode.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Too bad you need to plug the phone into the charger separately, rather than having it connect automatically. Samsung should offer a better dock that's custom tailored to the S3.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The S3 has this capability, unless you got it from Verizon, who apparently feels you don't need it. Look in Settings / Blocking Mode.
    It's funny when people complain about not having features... then you realize they just didn't bother learning about their phone... lol

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfmccallie View Post
    fotyc, when you go into the clock (from apps) there is a bar at the top showing alarm, world clock, etc. Swipe to the right on this bar and Desk Clock is on the end right after timer. Hope this helps.
    Thank you - I am still learning about all the different places things are found on this phone!

Another good free app that feeds the ex-Blackberryan need for a bedside mode is Dock Clock.

I've been using this one for a few months now and like how it works. You can schedule it to start only after a certain time and based on different scenarios... docked, plugged in etc. The clock is highly adjustable and has an orbit to avoid screen burn-in. The alarm can tell you the weather, appointments, news of the day or just play any of your normal alarm alert tones.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    It's funny when people complain about not having features... then you realize they just didn't bother learning about their phone... lol
    Well, I'm a bit more charitable. A lot of features are truly buried in this thing, and not clearly labeled. I wouldn't have assumed something called blocking mode could be used as a nighttime filtering mode.

Hey everyone, I wanted to jump on this thread and ask another question. I want my phone to automatically go into silent mode at a certain time. Then at night, should just my parents call (emergencies) I want my phone to ring. But not ring from random people. Is this possible?? The first response had something exactly what I wanted but I couldn't get it to start up!!

Sound Profile:
    (There are similar apps if you don't like that one.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12