Is there a bedside mode

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
just open the clock on your S3 and scroll to the end to "desk clock''
there you can customize your bedside mode, i use it all night, its awesome.

This is awesome! No more app needed. The will try it tonight.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Is there a desktop dock for the SGS3? I had one for my SGS2 and it did exactly what you want: drop it in the dock and it dims the screen, and after 5 minutes would display just a low-light digital clock. (in much the same way as putting it in a car dock would put the device in car mode) It was perfect for me, and I ended up throwing away my traditional alarm clock.

Lfsnz67

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I hate comments like this.

1) If I wake up in the middle of the night and want to know what time it is...hey look a clock!

2) Alarm clock...hmm...yeah I remember those from 10+ years ago before I had a semi-smart phone. We could just say "a camera works fine", "a pager works fine", "a computer works fine", "a gps unit works fine", etc. until we go back to dumb phones with no features because who needs an alarm clock on your phone when you can have one not on your phone! Is that what you had in mind? lol

Well said...

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there a desktop dock for the SGS3? I had one for my SGS2 and it did exactly what you want: drop it in the dock and it dims the screen, and after 5 minutes would display just a low-light digital clock. (in much the same way as putting it in a car dock would put the device in car mode) It was perfect for me, and I ended up throwing away my traditional alarm clock.

Yes, there is - but I tried it at the Verizon store. The device sits vertical and the stand does nothing to really support the device. It basically sits on the USB connections - one small bump and over it goes. It appeared to me that it was wear and/or loosen the connection on the device side. I don't remember the model number but it was a genuine Samsung product.

EDIT: This is what it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EDD-D...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1993405

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there is - but I tried it at the Verizon store. The device sits vertical and the stand does nothing to really support the device. It basically sits on the USB connections - one small bump and over it goes. It appeared to me that it was wear and/or loosen the connection on the device side. I don't remember the model number but it was a genuine Samsung product.

EDIT: This is what it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EDD-D...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1994633
Hmm, that's disappointing. So the device doesn't even go into a special "dock mode" when you put it in the cradle? I was actually going to get that exact dock this weekend since I miss the old one on my SGS2 so much.

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You might want to look at Night Clock

I came from Blackberry too and missed the bedside mode. This will turn off all notifications and have a decent clock in most orientations. You can change the clock style and color. I have a case that will stand vertical or horizontal. In the horizontal mode it looks like and old fashioned red LED clock. Perfect for me.

kevin5377

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I hate replies like these.

Everyone has their preference. I like to use a traditional alarm clock. And yes a camera takes better pictures than a phone with a camera feature. A stand alone GPS works just as well if not better sometimes. Cell signal, data usage. So please consider the options before you hate something so quickly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Take take your own meds, buddy. The original poster wants to be able to have what he wants to have. Who are you to say that he should do it differently?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
just open the clock on your S3 and scroll to the end to "desk clock''
there you can customize your bedside mode, i use it all night, its awesome.

Another Blackberry convert looking for bedside mode... I have only had this phone (Galaxy S3) about a week, so I'm still learning where stuff is - but I can't find the setting you refer to above... If I open the clock (by going into the Apps pages), there is nothing in the Settings menu called Desk Clock... I must be confused about where to look.

sfmccallie

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Another Blackberry convert looking for bedside mode... I have only had this phone (Galaxy S3) about a week, so I'm still learning where stuff is - but I can't find the setting you refer to above... If I open the clock (by going into the Apps pages), there is nothing in the Settings menu called Desk Clock... I must be confused about where to look.

fotyc, when you go into the clock (from apps) there is a bar at the top showing alarm, world clock, etc. Swipe to the right on this bar and Desk Clock is on the end right after timer. Hope this helps.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
1. Who looks at a clock while sleeping?
2. An alarm clock works just fine.

I hate comments like this.
1) If I wake up in the middle of the night and want to know what time it is...hey look a clock!
2) Alarm clock...hmm...yeah I remember those from 10+ years ago before I had a semi-smart phone. We could just say "a camera works fine", "a pager works fine", "a computer works fine", "a gps unit works fine", etc. until we go back to dumb phones with no features because who needs an alarm clock on your phone when you can have one not on your phone! Is that what you had in mind? lol

I hate replies like these.
Everyone has their preference. I like to use a traditional alarm clock. And yes a camera takes better pictures than a phone with a camera feature. A stand alone GPS works just as well if not better sometimes. Cell signal, data usage. So please consider the options before you hate something so quickly.

Delldude, I think the point is that the OP asked for a solution to his need, not yours. In essence, you said his request is dumb, which is uncalled for. If you don't have an answer, there's really no need to post at all.

For what it's worth, I have a stand-alone GPS, multiple stand-alone cameras, and use an alarm clock next to my bed. None of that is really relevant to the OP.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Agreed.
Miss the ability to silence everything but phone calls and alarm clock at night on my Torch. Was easily configurable to activate when plugged in but only between certain times.

The S3 has this capability, unless you got it from Verizon, who apparently feels you don't need it. Look in Settings / Blocking Mode.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The S3 has this capability, unless you got it from Verizon, who apparently feels you don't need it. Look in Settings / Blocking Mode.

It's funny when people complain about not having features... then you realize they just didn't bother learning about their phone... lol

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
fotyc, when you go into the clock (from apps) there is a bar at the top showing alarm, world clock, etc. Swipe to the right on this bar and Desk Clock is on the end right after timer. Hope this helps.

Thank you - I am still learning about all the different places things are found on this phone!

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Another good free app that feeds the ex-Blackberryan need for a bedside mode is Dock Clock.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...RnZXRqdWljZS5kb2NrY2xvY2siXQ..&token=9jjbk5Ve

I've been using this one for a few months now and like how it works. You can schedule it to start only after a certain time and based on different scenarios... docked, plugged in etc. The clock is highly adjustable and has an orbit to avoid screen burn-in. The alarm can tell you the weather, appointments, news of the day or just play any of your normal alarm alert tones.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's funny when people complain about not having features... then you realize they just didn't bother learning about their phone... lol

Well, I'm a bit more charitable. A lot of features are truly buried in this thing, and not clearly labeled. I wouldn't have assumed something called blocking mode could be used as a nighttime filtering mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol