Multiple Identical Names In Contact List

jdennysgirl

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I don't know what I did, but my contact has like 4 identical listings for almost every number. I have over 2000 names on my list when I should only have a little over 300. It is also showing all my Facebook contact that I don't want on there. I just want my regular contact list back! Can someone please help. Thanks. And also if you know how I can fix this please explain because I am not too good with all this technology!

joggy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
In Contacts, Menu>Contacts to display>Customized list and expand the accounts listed to toggle on/off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
You can also combine contacts - though it's a tedious process. You may want to do this for some. I combine my Facebook and Google contacts to get their picture in the contact.

Go to the contact and press menu. Choose join contact. Then choose the duplicate contact you want to combine with the current contact.

Reactions: jdennysgirl

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem I had to go to my gmail contact list and delete each number.... i had over 1600 contact.... when I was done i had 200. Its a long and tedius process

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
GO Contacts EX allows you to merge contacts based on name, telephone number, or email address. I find doing them each in the order I list them works best. Then I merge one more time based on name.

And the best part is that the changes you make stay with you even after you delete the app.

Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
You've probably syncd your contacts to multiple accounts. I'd synced to Gmail & Exchange & ended up with doubles. Go to settings, then accounts & sync. See where your contacts are being synced; then choose which account you prefer your contacts to be syncd to. I chose Gmail. Then go to contacts; choose contacts to display. Display the ones you don't want (in my case it was Exchange); then you'll have an option to delete them all.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
GO Contacts EX allows you to merge contacts based on name, telephone number, or email address. I find doing them each in the order I list them works best. Then I merge one more time based on name.

And the best part is that the changes you make stay with you even after you delete the app.

Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2

+1 to this. i had really messy contacts but Go Contacts fixed it :)

Alberto233

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Great but... there's something missing in GO Contacts EX: how do I merge contacts who don't have the same name, phone, or e-mail???????

This is a feature that is amazing to me that it does not exist. Many friends of mine are saved in Google Contacts with their real name like "John Madsen" but call themselves "Party Animal" in Facebook... How do I merge them???

With the default contacts app in Froyo this was very easy to do (the Link option was fast and intuitive). With Gingerbread the default contacts app is crap... so I installed GO Contacts EX which is the best contacts app and... :-(((