Is it Galaxy S3 OR Outlook calendar? Can't have both?

waldowayne

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping that a high-end phone like the Galaxy S3 would sync with a mainstream application like Outlook which I use in the office. I have been syncing my iPhone via iTunes without problem. Kies is supposed to do that for the Samsung Galaxy S3. It works for contacts, but not for the calendar (which changes more often).

Samsung Support wrote me:

"The Kies Software available for the phone can only sync Contacts, Music, Photos, Videos and Podcasts. It cannot sync calendar events from Outlook or any other program that supports calendar."

Then they recommend using Google's calendar sync. Is this Kies problem really forcing us to choose between Outlook and Galaxy S3?
Anybody found a solution?

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I sync with work calendar on MS Outlook through our MS Exchange server at work. Are you just trying to sync with MS Outlook on an individual home computer?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ive noticed my international s3 doesnt seem to have google calander?? can i download it?

...just noticed it does have the google calander sync app but not the actual g-calander app.. is it samsung forcing me into using s-memo? i use Go Calander Widget anyway + it syncs with google calander on da cloud

Anon_Emus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping that a high-end phone like the Galaxy S3 would sync with a mainstream application like Outlook which I use in the office. I have been syncing my iPhone via iTunes without problem. Kies is supposed to do that for the Samsung Galaxy S3. It works for contacts, but not for the calendar (which changes more often).

Samsung Support wrote me:

"The Kies Software available for the phone can only sync Contacts, Music, Photos, Videos and Podcasts. It cannot sync calendar events from Outlook or any other program that supports calendar."

Then they recommend using Google's calendar sync. Is this Kies problem really forcing us to choose between Outlook and Galaxy S3?
Anybody found a solution?

Install the calendar sync on desktop not on phone, it works fine. Good luck

waldowayne

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
Those who recommend using Google Calendar basically confirm that I can't have both: Outlook Calendar AND Galaxy S3. I supposed to switch to Google.

Or stay with iPhone / iTunes.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
There's many solutions. You can set up an outlook sync by itself, or set up outlook to sync with Google Calendar (which will then sync to your phone)

Google it and you'll find the answers. I'd look them up for you if I had time right now, but that should get you started.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Google calendar works for me

Ditto!

I use the stock S3 calendar which is set to sync with Google. Both my desktop and laptop PCs use Google Calendar Sync and everything stays up to date.

I also setup Outlook to connect to GMail on my PCs. Still haven't mastered syncing contacts but that is not a big issue at the moment since I can always download them from Google and import them into Outlook.

kevin5377

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I wrestled with the Outlook not syncing with Google Calendar for quite a while when I first got my og Galaxy. There are a couple options as stated above, I used one called Companion Link. It wasn't free, but it did the sync job very very well. However, as time went on, I finally bit the bullet and stopped using Outlook. I haven't looked back. The functionality of Google Calendar vs. Outlooks is, at the very least, on par and I've found that it's easier to use.
I've also deployed Google Apps for Business at work and have convinced most users to abandon Outlook as well.
Do yourself a favor, save your calendar events and contacts as .csv files and upload them into google. give it a month and see how you like it.... You can always go back.

BarbecueGamer

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I know it is a tough step but you have to cut the cord sometime. Google calendar works great. I use Outlook through exchange for my business and that works great too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
There really is no need for Outlook calendar when you use Google calendar. Google Calendar is in the Cloud. Outlook works on a local PC. Yes you can restore Outlook's calendar dates by sync'ing but to me having a Cloud-based app just makes more sense especially when using an Android phone which is based on a Google operating system. I use Outlook's calendar with my work Exchange account and honestly don't see any advantage to it over Google's calendar. Is there any?

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I use Outlook on my home PC with SnyMyCal to keep it synced up with Google Calendar which syncs up with my phone. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and it works fine. Whatever I enter on my phone (using CalenGoo now) eventually gets in my Outlook and vice versa. When I was starting out it took me a bit of time to set it all up right so I wasn't getting repeats or erasing all my data (backup!). But it seems pretty seamless. I don't like being cloud dependent because of outages and unforeseen problems. I just wish there was a way to have Journal from Outlook on the phone.

waldowayne

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Ditto!

I use the stock S3 calendar which is set to sync with Google. Both my desktop and laptop PCs use Google Calendar Sync and everything stays up to date.

I also setup Outlook to connect to GMail on my PCs. Still haven't mastered syncing contacts but that is not a big issue at the moment since I can always download them from Google and import them into Outlook.
Ok - if I go through sync with Google calendar, new entries in the local calendar on the Galaxy S3 don't make into the Google calendar. Changes to entries in the Google calendar sync perfectly of course.

How do events in "my calendar" get synced with the Google calendar?

waldowayne

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I know it is a tough step but you have to cut the cord sometime. Google calendar works great. I use Outlook through exchange for my business and that works great too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
Theoretically, cutting the cord and do Google would be fine.

However, I have to travel a lot for businesses and like to do meeting prep and calendar maintenance (between laptop and phone) while on the airplane.

Irony has it that when I'm in the clouds, I don't have access to the cloud. I always want to have a cord as an alternative to the Googledom.

Apparently, I have to buy a $20 or $50 utility because Samsung's Kies is not able to perform what iTunes gave me for free.

waldowayne

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Two new – positive – developments, helpful for future reference:

1. My Galaxy S3 did now successfully sync the calendar to Outlook via Kies, after all!
    See the attached screen pic. If it helps your engineers: What was different this time, I had turned off the local calendar (“My calendar”) because I decided to use Google Calendar instead, per everybody's advice here (irony!). I received a message on the Galaxy (also attached).
  2. Google Calendar can do sync with Outlook not just export/import!
    To achieve 2-way sync between Galaxy S3 and Outlook (export is not sync), it’s better to use Google’s sync program: Using this utility, Outlook syncs with Google Calendar, which also syncs with the Galaxy S3. Since it works automatically in the background, without cable, it’s actually easier than with Kies.
Problem solved?

Paulschnit

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Kies used to work as a sync tool for Outlook. It handled calendar, contacts and tasks.
About two weeks ago, it simply stopped working! It states now that my Galaxy S3 in "not supported by Kies 2.0"
How about that? Does anyone know where to get help for this?

RickG.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
More of a workaround then a solution. Try Jorte from the play store. It syncs multiple calenders and has a nice widget. I use it for outlook and Google so I know it supports both'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton