Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Can you silence the camera click sound?

use a file explorer app and navigate to system/media/audio/ui and delete or rename the .ogg audio files
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Roesch View Post
    use a file explorer app and navigate to system/media/audio/ui and delete or rename the .ogg audio files
    thats something id never have thought of man. nice approach iv said it once and il say it again, everyone with an android should get to grips with a good file manager

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Roesch View Post
    you'll need root to do this, if you don't you get an "insufficient permissions" when you try and change the file name.

The camera volume is sent through the media stream. For as long as I can remember I've had a Tasker profile that puts the phone in "silent mode" while the camera's open, and then returns it to the previous volume as soon as I exit the app. This also solves the problem of notification sounds interrupting video recording.

EDIT: Sorry, not the media volume. I use Silent Mode.
    Last edited by DrElwinRansom; 07-26-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by DrElwinRansom View Post
    The camera volume is sent through the media stream. For as long as I can remember I've had a Tasker profile that silences the media volume while the camera's open, and then returns it to the previous volume as soon as I exit the app. This also solves the problem of notification sounds interrupting video recording.
    thats a nice idea man. ive been meaning to learn tasker for ages

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    thats a nice idea man. ive been meaning to learn tasker for ages
    This one's pretty simple -- a good place to start.

1. Make sure you're not in beginner mode (which doesn't mean this is difficult!): go to "Preferences" > "UI" and uncheck "Beginner Mode".
    2. Create a new profile and choose "Application" as the first context. Select "Camera" (and "Camcorder", depending on your device).
    3. Then you need to add a "new task".
      * Tap the + to add a task, then choose "Variable". You'll use %OLDMEDIA as the "Name" and %VOLM as the "To" values.
      * Tap + again and choose "Audio Settings", then "Silent Mode". Set it as "On".
      * Hit the check mark to bring you back to the profiles screen
    4. Then add an "exit task" (by long pressing the task you just created). For this you'll just tap +, choose "Audio Settings" > "Media Volume". If you're not in beginner mode, you'll see looping blue arrows (looks like "refresh") in the upper right. Select that and then you can type in %OLDMEDIA under "Level".
    5. Hit the green checkmarks to get out of everything, and you've got it.
    Thanked by 6:

ROM
    Clean Rom 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by dotB View Post
    Couldn't find it on the AT&T one, have to silence it before opening the app. Very annoying, it gets really awkward when the girls turn around and see me..
    It's definitely there on the AT&T version. In the camera click the gear (settings). If you notice, you'll see a white scroll-bar on the right which disappears. You'll see "Focus mode" at the bottom of the list, but there are more options below that. Just flick the list up and you'll find the hidden options. It's at the very bottom just above the Storage option.

Download Audio Manager and turn system volume to zero. No more shutter sound

Global Posts
    558 Global Posts

It is DEFINITELY there on the ATT version!

~Jae, Tap'n on my White Samsung Galaxy S3~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can you silence the camera click sound?-uploadfromtaptalk1343317655771.jpg  
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by DrElwinRansom View Post
    This one's pretty simple -- a good place to start.

1. Make sure you're not in beginner mode (which doesn't mean this is difficult!): go to "Preferences" > "UI" and uncheck "Beginner Mode".
    2. Create a new profile and choose "Application" as the first context. Select "Camera" (and "Camcorder", depending on your device).
    3. Then you need to add a "new task".
      * Tap the + to add a task, then choose "Variable". You'll use %OLDMEDIA as the "Name" and %VOLM as the "To" values.
      * Tap + again and choose "Audio Settings", then "Silent Mode". Set it as "On".
      * Hit the check mark to bring you back to the profiles screen
    4. Then add an "exit task" (by long pressing the task you just created). For this you'll just tap +, choose "Audio Settings" > "Media Volume". If you're not in beginner mode, you'll see looping blue arrows (looks like "refresh") in the upper right. Select that and then you can type in %OLDMEDIA under "Level".
    5. Hit the green checkmarks to get out of everything, and you've got it.
    AWESOME! It works. Just to add extra clarity... after you choose "Variable" in step #3, you are presented with a set of options before you can enter "%OLDMEDIA" etc. You need to pick VARIABLE SET... then continue to entering "%OLDMEDIA etc.

THANKS!!!! Solved the problem!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

thanx for that Elwin

Quote Originally Posted by PaulQ View Post
    AWESOME! It works. Just to add extra clarity... after you choose "Variable" in step #3, you are presented with a set of options before you can enter "%OLDMEDIA" etc. You need to pick VARIABLE SET... then continue to entering "%OLDMEDIA etc.

THANKS!!!! Solved the problem!
    can i get a screen shot of how yours look mine doesnt seem to work

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock...for now

Hate to say but it didn't work for me and my pebble blue 16gb Sprint version doesn't have the option to mute the shutter.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch->Samsung GS3 16GB Pebble Blue->LG G3 White

Put phone in silent, or "permanently" disable the camera sound, which is easy for rooted devices. Get a root file explorer, go to /system/media/ui/audio and rename "Shutter.ogg" to "Shutter.ogg.disabled" or something like that. There are other sound files their for video camera sounds, focus, power on/off, and other UI functions. You can also change the phones normal sounds.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by 534n View Post
    Put phone in silent, or "permanently" disable the camera sound, which is easy for rooted devices. Get a root file explorer, go to /system/media/ui/audio and rename "Shutter.ogg" to "Shutter.ogg.disabled" or something like that. There are other sound files their for video camera sounds, focus, power on/off, and other UI functions. You can also change the phones normal sounds.

Worked great. Thanks!

On mine the path was /system/media/audio/ui...
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    Worked great. Thanks!

Yes that is the correct path; I made a typo.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    Worked great. Thanks!

This is definitely a gem on my rooted Sprint SGS3! a big thanks on the way!
    I have to return some videotapes

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cys920622 View Post
    On the Telus branded S3, all you need to do is turn the ringtone down to vibrate / silent. You need to do this outside the camera app (or in pull-down menu, which you can actually access in all full-screen apps by swiping down from the edge)

Man...this gets me every time

The "ICS Camera+" app lets you turn off the sound, use the volume as a camera button, and has a number of tweaks that the native camera either doesn't have or doesn't do well. It's the camera the way it should have been implemented originally. That way you get a better camera and you don't have to remember to turn the volume back up. Win-win. Simple. No root. No fancy stuff.

Turn your sound all the way down, no shutter sound when volume down

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

Can confirm its on the at&t version,under camera settings. But turning down sound also works.

Sent from my S3(:

Thumbs up Re: Can you silence the camera click sound?

RE: AT&T drop-down settings in camera mode: Thank you, thank you!! I didn't even realize the settings drop-down scrolled. Thanks for taking the time to respond to this question. It worked perfectly.

If you are rooted, the guide in the link below will enable the sound toggle in your camera app. Worked great for my Sprint Samsung E4GT / s2 and says it will work for the S3 as well.

c2med Blog - Technology News, Reviews, and Tutorials: How to Silence or Mute Camera Sounds on Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch Jelly Bean GB27 and Sprint Galaxy S3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12