Can you silence the camera click sound?

dotB

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't find it on the AT&T one, have to silence it before opening the app. Very annoying, it gets really awkward when the girls turn around and see me.. :-[ :confused:

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Can't you just go in and delete the camera click sound file off your phone? I have an AT&T S3 so I haven't had to try, but I did that on a Verizon phone a year or so ago and it worked great.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't find it on the AT&T one, have to silence it before opening the app. Very annoying, it gets really awkward when the girls turn around and see me.. :-[ :confused:
worse when a nun catches me pointin it under swimming pool changing room cubicle :'(

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The camera volume is sent through the media stream. For as long as I can remember I've had a Tasker profile that puts the phone in "silent mode" while the camera's open, and then returns it to the previous volume as soon as I exit the app. This also solves the problem of notification sounds interrupting video recording.

EDIT: Sorry, not the media volume. I use Silent Mode.

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
The camera volume is sent through the media stream. For as long as I can remember I've had a Tasker profile that silences the media volume while the camera's open, and then returns it to the previous volume as soon as I exit the app. This also solves the problem of notification sounds interrupting video recording.

thats a nice idea man. ive been meaning to learn tasker for ages

May 13, 2010
Visit site
thats a nice idea man. ive been meaning to learn tasker for ages

This one's pretty simple -- a good place to start. :)

1. Make sure you're not in beginner mode (which doesn't mean this is difficult!): go to "Preferences" > "UI" and uncheck "Beginner Mode".
  2. Create a new profile and choose "Application" as the first context. Select "Camera" (and "Camcorder", depending on your device).
  3. Then you need to add a "new task".
    * Tap the + to add a task, then choose "Variable". You'll use %OLDMEDIA as the "Name" and %VOLM as the "To" values.
    * Tap + again and choose "Audio Settings", then "Silent Mode". Set it as "On".
    * Hit the check mark to bring you back to the profiles screen
  4. Then add an "exit task" (by long pressing the task you just created). For this you'll just tap +, choose "Audio Settings" > "Media Volume". If you're not in beginner mode, you'll see looping blue arrows (looks like "refresh") in the upper right. Select that and then you can type in %OLDMEDIA under "Level".
  5. Hit the green checkmarks to get out of everything, and you've got it.

slbuck

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

It's definitely there on the AT&T version. In the camera click the gear (settings). If you notice, you'll see a white scroll-bar on the right which disappears. You'll see "Focus mode" at the bottom of the list, but there are more options below that. Just flick the list up and you'll find the hidden options. It's at the very bottom just above the Storage option.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This one's pretty simple -- a good place to start. :)

1. Make sure you're not in beginner mode (which doesn't mean this is difficult!): go to "Preferences" > "UI" and uncheck "Beginner Mode".
  2. Create a new profile and choose "Application" as the first context. Select "Camera" (and "Camcorder", depending on your device).
  3. Then you need to add a "new task".
    * Tap the + to add a task, then choose "Variable". You'll use %OLDMEDIA as the "Name" and %VOLM as the "To" values.
    * Tap + again and choose "Audio Settings", then "Silent Mode". Set it as "On".
    * Hit the check mark to bring you back to the profiles screen
  4. Then add an "exit task" (by long pressing the task you just created). For this you'll just tap +, choose "Audio Settings" > "Media Volume". If you're not in beginner mode, you'll see looping blue arrows (looks like "refresh") in the upper right. Select that and then you can type in %OLDMEDIA under "Level".
  5. Hit the green checkmarks to get out of everything, and you've got it.

AWESOME! It works. Just to add extra clarity... after you choose "Variable" in step #3, you are presented with a set of options before you can enter "%OLDMEDIA" etc. You need to pick VARIABLE SET... then continue to entering "%OLDMEDIA etc.

THANKS!!!! Solved the problem!

houstonmale04

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
AWESOME! It works. Just to add extra clarity... after you choose "Variable" in step #3, you are presented with a set of options before you can enter "%OLDMEDIA" etc. You need to pick VARIABLE SET... then continue to entering "%OLDMEDIA etc.

THANKS!!!! Solved the problem!

can i get a screen shot of how yours look mine doesnt seem to work

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hate to say but it didn't work for me and my pebble blue 16gb Sprint version doesn't have the option to mute the shutter.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Put phone in silent, or "permanently" disable the camera sound, which is easy for rooted devices. Get a root file explorer, go to /system/media/ui/audio and rename "Shutter.ogg" to "Shutter.ogg.disabled" or something like that. There are other sound files their for video camera sounds, focus, power on/off, and other UI functions. You can also change the phones normal sounds.

Reactions: Forgetful

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Put phone in silent, or "permanently" disable the camera sound, which is easy for rooted devices. Get a root file explorer, go to /system/media/ui/audio and rename "Shutter.ogg" to "Shutter.ogg.disabled" or something like that. There are other sound files their for video camera sounds, focus, power on/off, and other UI functions. You can also change the phones normal sounds.

Worked great. Thanks!

On mine the path was /system/media/audio/ui...

Reactions: TrueDrooid

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20