Can you turn off LED notification for Gmail?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I get a blue LED light when Gmail comes in. I want the icon to appear in the notification bar but that's it. I have the OS LED setting to notify turned off. Am I missing something? I don't want LED for Gmail.

Thanks!

...Sent from my Prime Infinity

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
This could be a big shot in the dark, but might a command be in build prop?????
I'd look but my phone doesn't have a light on it
plays by prison rules

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This could be a big shot in the dark, but might a command be in build prop?????
I'd look but my phone doesn't have a light on it
plays by prison rules

I think you exceeded my tech knowledge. What is "build prop"?

...Sent from my Prime Infinity

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess 1st off are you rooted? And if so get a file explorer with root ability and you would go to system folder and build.prop( which is general behavior of phone, and you can change certain lines in it to make phone work better, or change LCD density) if your able to get into system folders( only if your rooted) then I'd do some research on your concern. More chances then not someone else wants to do the same thing you are, and have figured it out already

plays by prison rules

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
O well never hurts to research, there might be a way to do it with out root. I'd just search on Google I'm sure something will come up

plays by prison rules

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
paul is it UK or international s3 m8? dont know if theres a difference in this case but i cant find an option on my international to turn off led for gmail BUT if you use Light Flow app for notifications i think you could switch it off.. only problem is light flow aparently doesnt work on LTE versions of s3 yet..

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
paul is it UK or international s3 m8? dont know if theres a difference in this case but i cant find an option on my international to turn off led for gmail BUT if you use Light Flow app for notifications i think you could switch it off.. only problem is light flow aparently doesnt work on LTE versions of s3 yet..

Nope. It's Verizon USA. I heard about LightFlow on here but then I read on their site that they are having problems with the S3. I am going to see if they can work out the problems then try it!

Thetaman

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Lightflow was sooooo nice on my Galaxy Nexus. Bummed it doesn't work on my SG3. Might have to root my phone just to get the LED to quit flashing. :(

Why you can't control the LED by default in Gmail is beyond me. I don't need a flashing LED for each gmail I get. And I believe it can be managed via build.prop if rooted but I need to look into it more.

I was able to disable the LED for Gmail on my Samsung Galaxy S 2 only when rooted.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought with the Gmail app you can turn it off even with stock?

You can have these choices:

• [sound + bar + LED]
  • [no sound + bar + LED]
  • [no notification]

So you have to have the LED if you want any notification.

Wish it weren't true. :(

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
LightFlow blows on the S3. I actually paid for the freakin' thing and it doesn't work. I use to have a BB Bold 9900 and it had an app called BeBuzz that blew any LED control app in Android out of the water. I was quite surprised that the S3 or Android had no equivalent as I thought they were the most customizable phones on the planet. It's my main beef with my S3 but otherwise it's much better than my BB.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lightflow works perfectly on the global and works on most US variants unless u use stock launcher

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

mantici

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
OK this is completely stupid, but the problem seems to be a setting that's not availabe to set natively in the GS3 it's called "pulse notification". can't find it anywhere. . .but i did find a workaround. . .
if you're not wanting to use lightflow and just want to rely on the GS3 settings to actually work (like me), do this:

install NFC Task Launcher. . . set up a task (doesn't matter if you dont' have any tags), add "display-->notification led" and set it to "disabled"
then manually run this task. . . once you do, the gmail blue led will not flash anymore. . .then go into your settings and turn back on the checks you want

I use Llama to set my turn my led off at night when chargind and back on in the morning. . . but the blue led kept flashing for gmail, this solves this problem. afterwords, you can uninstall NFC task launcher if you wish.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I finally figured out a workaround that is a little different than the one proposed here. It's actually easier only IF YOU ARE ROOTED AND RUNNING Cyanogenmod. The setting is part of CM.

You can go into the LED settings and set a custom LED action for GMail. Set the light color to black. I'm sure Gmail makes the LED turn off and on when you get email but you can't see it. This way, you do get the indicator on the status bar. I have sound/vibration off so that's all I get. Exactly what I want.

You might be able to do this with an app like Light Flow but I haven't tried.

Francisco Nogueira

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Paul!

That's why even with a Nexus, I keep using CM. Tweaks, Tweaks and.... more Tweaks available.

Just applied your sugestion with ProxyDroid (which although I want its visual notification, I don't need the LED one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy