Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery improvement tips and tricks.

Haven't seen a post like this yet. I am sure this can be beneficial to many of us. So please post any tips or tricks to extend battery life with original roms.
    Thanx.

1. Disable s voice.
    2. Disable vibration notifications.
    3. Turn of screen after 15 seconds.
    4. Turn off all radios that are not being used (wifi, mobile network, GPS)
    5. Enable auto screen brightness.
    6. Clear RAM, and/or limit the number of background processes via developer setting.
    7. Turn off auto sync for anything that is not essential.
    8. Enable power saving option (not my favorite)
    9. Disable motion sensor.
    10. Disable led notifications.

Please only post tips and tricks and advise to why someone should or shouldn't use them. This is not a discussion dealing with random issues. Make a new thread for that.
    Thanked by:
    Gator352 and equishd like this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Battery improvement tips and tricks.

most of them are fairly basic m8 and i know what you mean about Power Saving mode (why have fastest phone on earth and throttle the cpu lol) but how do we "disable motion sensors"?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    most of them are fairly basic m8 and i know what you mean about Power Saving mode (why have fastest phone on earth and throttle the cpu lol) but how do we "disable motion sensors"?
    Settings, motion, uncheck motion activation.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by stas333 View Post
    Settings, motion, uncheck motion activation.
    cool i thought you meant we could disable the accelerometer, gyro etc. the only motion i use is Palm Swipe to take screenshot, do u think that uses battery life being switched on?
    p.s, does Tilt To Zoom work for you in web pages? it doesnt for me

great tips.... pretty much i just disabled s voice and i noticed a huge increase in battery life....
    Retired Ambassador

If you're rooted, you can freeze apps that constantly run in the background such as drm protected content, s voice, key chain, tags, nfc service, nfc test, and face book. Also if rooted, you can run profiles that run when your screen is off. Such as minimum and maximum cpu speeds and battery conservative governors but when screen is on go back to the normal settings.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:

Turning screen off after 15 seconds is a wash. Sometimes you consistantly have to keep putting your finger on the screen to keep it active (like web browsing) and if it times out, you have to hit the power button and if your not fast enough, you have to go through the lock screen again (unless disabled) using much more power than keeping it at say 30 sec.

Using auto brightness uses more energy than using a static setting. Auto brightness has to poll for ambient light using sensors and is always changing if your moving around. A low static setting....say 25% or lower brightness seems to be best.

These are my opinions and may not work for some, but I thought I'd throw em' out there.
    Thanked by:
    wowpaw and equishd like this.

Can I add.

Stay away from free apps that have ADS on them.

and use dark color bakcground to the list.
    Gator352 likes this.

6. Clear RAM, and/or limit the number of background processes via developer setting.

Defaults back to standard after a reboot.

LG G2 Verizon LTE
    Nexus 4 ST TMO
    Galaxy S 3 Sprint LTE [ Retired ]
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G Verizon LTE [ Retired ]
    Nexus S 4G [ Retired ]
    Xoom Tablet 3.0 Honeycomb [ Retired ]
    HTC Evo 2.3.3| [ Retired ]
    Palm Pre [ Retired ]
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Turning screen off after 15 seconds is a wash. Sometimes you consistantly have to keep putting your finger on the screen to keep it active (like web browsing) and if it times out, you have to hit the power button and if your not fast enough, you have to go through the lock screen again (unless disabled) using much more power than keeping it at say 30 sec.

Using auto brightness uses more energy than using a static setting. Auto brightness has to poll for ambient light using sensors and is always changing if your moving around. A low static setting....say 25% or lower brightness seems to be best.

These are my opinions and may not work for some, but I thought I'd throw em' out there.
    That's why there is smart stay.

I have it enabled. It seems to work great at times and then at times, none at all. See, smart stay only checks so often. If your set for 15 seconds and it doesn't check in that time....your screen will shut off. Has happened to me quite a few times now. Heck, even set at 30 seconds the screen still times out. What's funny is that I'll be on the net and see the smart stay icon blink...then 5 seconds later, the screen shuts off. It's a gimmick at best.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    I have it enabled. It seems to work great at times and then at times, none at all. See, smart stay only checks so often. If your set for 15 seconds and it doesn't check in that time....your screen will shut off. Has happened to me quite a few times now. Heck, even set at 30 seconds the screen still times out. What's funny is that I'll be on the net and see the smart stay icon blink...then 5 seconds later, the screen shuts off. It's a gimmick at best.
    maybe you should do a factory reset because i just tested mine on 15sec screen dim and it works perfect.

please only post tips and tricks and advise to why someone should or shouldn't use them. This is not a discussion dealing with random issues. please make a new thread for that.

back to tips and tricks to get the most out of your battery

ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    If you're rooted, you can freeze apps that constantly run in the background such as drm protected content, s voice, key chain, tags, nfc service, nfc test, and face book. Also if rooted, you can run profiles that run when your screen is off. Such as minimum and maximum cpu speeds and battery conservative governors but when screen is on go back to the normal settings.
    You don't have to be rooted to disable most apps. You can do it right from the app info page, completely stock. The only ones you can't disable without root are AllPlay Service and More Services, I think. Disable everything with Samsung in front of it (well, most, anyway) and anything else you don't need. Not only will it help battery life, you'll have an extra 200 or so MB of RAM at your disposal.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of battery improvement?

Edited and cleared this post after realizing it's off topic. Sorry.

Well I disable apps I don't use waiting for my phone to die I then charge it up and see how much more life I get thanks for the tips

iTz Young Amazed

Haven't seen a post like this yet. I am sure this can be beneficial to many of us. So please post any tips or tricks to extend battery life with original roms.
    Thanx.

1. Disable s voice.
    2. Disable vibration notifications.
    3. Turn of screen after 15 seconds.
    4. Turn off all radios that are not being used (wifi, mobile network, GPS)
    5. Enable auto screen brightness.
    7. Turn off auto sync for anything that is not essential.
    8. Enable power saving option (not my favorite)
    9. Disable motion sensor.
    10. Disable led notifications.

Please only post tips and tricks and advise to why someone should or shouldn't use them. This is not a discussion dealing with random issues. Make a new thread for that.
    Which option in #6 did you choose?

It might not be feasible (or it might just be common sense) but if you use wifi and you can set your phone close to the router when not using it, it really helps battery life.

I used to have the router down in the basement. But the wiring was trivial to move it up to the main floor so it is close by the countertop where we keep our phones and other wireless devices when we are home. As you can see, even using the phone in short bursts all throughout the weekend (including a couple of trips out of the house to go shopping) batt life is phenomenal this way.

Everybody has a place where they tend to rest there phone when at home, if you can make that place close to the router, it means that your phone will probably still have plenty of charge when you want to head out the next time.

-Suntan
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

^ good point, but turning it completely off when not used will maximize the life of the battery.

^ good point, but turning it completely off when not used will maximize the life of the battery.
    But then you wouldn't get notified of incoming communications.

-Suntan

I came across this list of which is really handy when disabling apps. I've found ~50% of them have this disable button ghosted out. Any ideas?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&pli=1#gid=0

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by Saulty View Post
    I came across this list of which is really handy when disabling apps. I've found ~50% of them have this disable button ghosted out. Any ideas?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&pli=1#gid=0
    if u download System App Remover, it tells u in green orange and red whats safe to uninstall/disable like in that list (obv u cant use the uninstall function unless rooted)
    the ghosted out ones are ones they really dont want u to disable

For me, turning off the radio mobile data at night while sleeping has worked well to preserve battery.
    Thanked by:

Does a hibernation mode exist for using a night time? I want to be able to check the time through the night and have the alarm go off in the morning but I dont really care for having everything running the whole time. Seeing as standby uses ~50% of the battery this would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Saulty View Post
    Does a hibernation mode exist for using a night time? I want to be able to check the time through the night and have the alarm go off in the morning but I dont really care for having everything running the whole time. Seeing as standby uses ~50% of the battery this would be great
    Turn off 3g data. U will still get calls/texts but none of your Facebook/email will be syncing. With 3g off I'd say u would lose maybe 5% of battery with 8hrs of sleep

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast