!@$#! power and volume buttons!!!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a non-Samsung phone, the placement of the power button directly opposite the volume rocker is SERIOUSLY annoying. I keep unintentionally lowering the volume. I kept wondering why I wasn't hearing my phone!

I had to vent that.

Am I alone??

Oli2k

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I personally prefer it being on the side, worked well at the top of a smaller phone like the iphone but with a phone this large being on the side works better for me.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
every android ive had had power on top. wonder if theres a way without root to disable power button?? then use ShakeOff app to turn screen off and home button to switch on...

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally prefer it being on the side, worked well at the top of a smaller phone like the iphone but with a phone this large being on the side works better for me.

I totally agree. The placement works great. Coming from a RIM device, I had no difficulty making the transition.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I've definitely hit the volume/power buttons at the same time...many times. I am learning to press above the volume button when using the power button though...I'm sure I will adapt.

miketko

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a non-Samsung phone, the placement of the power button directly opposite the volume rocker is SERIOUSLY annoying. I keep unintentionally lowering the volume. I kept wondering why I wasn't hearing my phone!

I had to vent that.

Am I alone??

Agreed. But that ended once I got the outterbox commuter cause as its not as easy to press the hard buttons. Also I downloaded a lock screen app which I keep on my dock and use that to lock my screen.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

Predator04

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Check out the app called volume locker. Totally worth it. You can set the volume levels and if they change you have to confirm it. This should solve your problem

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
TOTALLY used to it!! I've been a Samsung whore since the A900....you guys remember that phone?!!? BEST flip phone I ever had!! :D

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't stand the power button being on the top. Have you tried imagining to press the top for the power button on a galaxy note. Your hand would catch cramps. hell even on the GS3 is pushing it. Maybe its because I'm a lefty and I always unlock my phone with my left hand so I never ever had a problem with it, and it never even occurred to me how it would be a problem for anyone... until I realized that I'm a lefty.

edit: I just unconsciously unlocked my phone with my right hand, and i did not hit the volume button at all or was anywhere near it with my fingers. hmmmmmm Oh well.

Last edited:

wxjeremy

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I use a free app called "Volume Locker" that locks your volume settings. If you change your volume (or accidentaly hit the rocker), a prompt will ask you to save changes or revert to previous settings. You can set a timer for that prompt before it automatically reverts back to the old settings.

*Just noticed Predator04 mentioned the same app before me. Will back him up on this one. I've used it since my original droid and its helped with a few rogue volume changes.

Last edited:

MARQUISMARC

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I do like having the power button on the side when you have such a large screen but it would have made better sense to not have the power button and volume rocker on the same plane, they should have been offset.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
It was bothering me too, but I got a TPU case that covers the buttons which gives me a better grip on the phone and makes the buttons harder to accidentally press as well, but it does not make them too hard to press when you want to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown