Need help removing contacts from stock sms app

drofnats5

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So my wife has this phone (I'm very jealous) and I've been helping her set it up. She likes things very basic and easy to use and one of the things she complained about most was the contact list. I was able to go through and remove all the extra contacts (facebook, skype, ect...) and have it only showing her original phone contacts. I have not been able to figure out how to do this in the stock messaging app though. When you go to compose a new message it shows every contact to every account linked to the phone and I see no option to change it. Can it be changed? Anyone know how?

Also for what it's worth, I've tried to get her to switch to a 3rd party sms app like handcent but she wants to stick with the stock one.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

garciepdx

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
For me, what worked was going to either the phone then contacts or the contact icon itself and then selecting the editing button(bottom left) and choosing which contacts to display.

drofnats5

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Both of you are correct for removing the contacts from the contact app or the contacts attached to the dialer. Doing that doesn't seem to affect the contacts shown in the messaging app though.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
that seems strange but ive never used the stock messanger. you should really try n talk her into usin Go Sms.. theres lots of nice skins for it + u can totaly customise font, font size, font colour, background colour etc for every part of the app. theres loads of options but once u get it lookin perfect for her, its simple to use :)

drofnats5

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It looks like that's what I'm going to end up doing. I use handcent and changed all the options so drastically it's just a mess and harder to read texts now so I think that's why she's put off by them. I loaded the go launcher onto her phone against her wishes but she never even noticed so maybe I'll try it with go sms too.

skickahit10

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I actually found a solution!

Ok, so I use a Samsung Galaxy S3, Swedish language, so I'm not sure what the exact terms are in English, but I'm sure you can figure it out if you look on the screenshots provided.

*** WARNING - before doing this - make sure sync with Google and other accounts/providers are turned off, otherwise I presume the changes you make on your phone using the method below will be reflected there ***

Now:
  1. Go to Applications/Programs
  2. Choose Contacts
  3. Click on the tab saying "groups"
  4. Click on where it says "not assigned"
  5. Click on menu key, choose "erase"
  6. Check "choose all"
  7. Un-check any contacts on the phone that you want to keep
  8. Click on "erase"

Now you shouldn't see any contacts when you use the built-in text app but those you still have on your phone.

Screenshots:
8FEcb.png

urwV7.png

e3Nid.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-22-19-08-53.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-22-19-08-53.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2012-11-22-19-09-04.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-22-19-09-04.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2012-11-22-19-09-16.png