"enter to send" for text messaging?

MX5_Toronto

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Any way to change the settings so that when I'm sending a text message (using the deffault messaging app) I can press the enter key on the keyboard to send?

Right now hitting enter key simply creates a new line, and I have to hit the "Send message" key to actually deliver the message? Which is a bit of a PITA.

WhatApp has a setting to toggle this on or off.

Any info would be great!

Thanks everyone.

cooliosam

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
hey MX5_Toronto, any luck finding a solution? i'm coming from a BB where enter was send. i feel the pain as well..

i've been searching google, but haven't found anything. it looks like Android used to be "enter to send" but then they switched it to "return." it would be great if there was an option to choose either.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
If you find hitting the send button a pain in the arse, then I foresee some bigger challenges facing you later in life! Seriously, just press send!
If it's really too much effort, use GoSms pro as you can turn the feature on.
Personally I prefer enter doing its actual job of making a new line, and often you send messages unfinished by mistake.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
As far as I can tell your only options are to install a third party messenger app like GO SMS or Handcent.

Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

cooliosam

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
If you find hitting the send button a pain in the arse, then I foresee some bigger challenges facing you later in life! Seriously, just press send!
Personally I prefer enter doing its actual job of making a new line, and often you send messages unfinished by mistake.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for the warm welcome. (i just joined yesterday) =P

you hit the nail on the head, it's a PERSONAL PREFERENCE. you just said so yourself that you prefer enter to make a new line. so if it were programmed the other way around, you would be complaining.

chill out.

thepervster

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
you could just download a different keyboard for this, i use smart keyboard pro. it has this option and many more options to change things the way you want them. and can change skins on it as well.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
you could just download a different keyboard for this, i use smart keyboard pro. it has this option and many more options to change things the way you want them. and can change skins on it as well.

+1 smart keyboard does it automaticly, if youre in an sms, it will show GO, in an email or site like this, it will give the return key for a new paragraph. never stick to stock keyboard when theres so many alternatives ;)

PP-SS

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

If you find people that are looking for solutions to better/ease their lives to be pain in the arse, then I foresee some bigger challenges facing you later in life.

Anyway.........as far as I know, this issue still hasn't been resolved.

It really is cumbersome especially if you're using a tablet with a keyboard dock (yes, I know this thread is for S3). Since these keyboards don't have a separate "Send" button, everytime you type a message you need to touch the send button on your screen. LOL what a joke!! (and severe PITA )

Ken Gardner

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
when using a bluetooth keyboard to text msg, TAB to the desired function (like SEND) (It will Highlight, I hope) and hit Enter. I know, easy huh? Don't be embarassed, since I also had to search for an answer. Too simple for us smart folks!

Uncle Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Lala Jhonson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

How do u do it using gosms because I've tried nd it dosent wrk.

xxandy

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Using <tab> and <shift-tab> to circle around the controls worked perfectly for me inside Whatsapp! Thank you for the suggestion!

Your mileage may vary depending on the app you use, or the webpage you are inputting text into. For example, I'm writing this on my phone, and the "Send" button does not have a tabstop, so I have to press it using the screen.

Mind you, the right solution for this problem is for app makers to come up with a PC app! I don't understandy why Whatsapp doesn't have a PC app! Line does have one and it works so well!

Goofy2016

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Any way to change the settings so that when I'm sending a text message (using the deffault messaging app) I can press the enter key on the keyboard to send?

Right now hitting enter key simply creates a new line, and I have to hit the "Send message" key to actually deliver the message? Which is a bit of a PITA.

WhatApp has a setting to toggle this on or off.

Any info would be great!

Thanks everyone.
I have found a way to do it either. But I did notice the posting of idiots below thing that you must not have a life or something. They're the ones that don't have a life because if they don't know the answer they need to STFU! Those people are absolutely not helping one little bit. Now the one suggesting other apps, that's valid, but like you I'm not going to download another app just to make my app work.

donganz

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if people finally figured it our but if you are texting and hit tab once it goes to the emoji. then press the right arrow and hit enter. Walla. Text sent

Posted via the Android Central App

Siddharth Sharma4

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Hey there,

I experienced this problem today as I just purchased a Bluetooth keyboard fro my Samsung galaxy Tab.
So the solution to your problem lies in whatsapp settings itself.
Try this :

By default, the Enter key on WhatsApp Messenger is programmed to add a new line between text. However, you can configure your "Enter" key to send messages in lieu of adding additional spaces.
Use the Enter Key To Send WhatsApp Messages

Open WhatsApp and go to Settings > Chat :

Check the box that reads Enter is Send section:

And there you go....

Happy texting

JuriRandow

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I know this seems a very old message thread, but I just got my new universal fold-able keyboard from Microsoft and i connected it via Bluetooth to my new android pixel google phone.

Whatsapp is easy, you just tick in the settings "Enter is send" which means enter key will send your message as opposed to enter key will add a new line.

I am trying the same thing for my facebook messenger app on my Pixel, without any success so far....

Any help re the facebook messenger app highly appreciated!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois