Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Turn off startup sound?

How do you turn off the jingle the GS3 plays during startup?

I like to turn off almost every sound my phone makes except for ringer/notifications/media and this is the only one I haven't been able to figure out.

Sent from my Gamecast

Requires root and a modification to the boot animation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Roboticz likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Turn off startup sound?

yeah boot screens are somethin that really need custom rom'd man. just put ur finger on the speaker

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

....i use a really nice 3rd party lock screen with a great theme but wish i could turn its sound off, it gets annoying..

Try Silent Boot in the Play Store
    Thanked by:
    f1nzup and GaDawgsFan19 like this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by droidster1 View Post
    is that non-root m8? its not something that id ever need coz my phones like always switched on lol but id have thought a non root app could only work once the phone has booted..

One does not need root for this
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Silent Boot didn't work for me
    Guess I just won't turn off my phone so I don't have to hear that annoying sound

Sent from my Gamecast

This is easy to do if your phone is rooted, and requires no modification to any boot animation or anything.

Open a root explorer, go to /system/media/audio/ui.

Rename the following two files as shown below (not mandatory for the names to match mine, they are just for example)

PowerOn.ogg -> PowerOn.ogg.disabled
    PowerOff.ogg -> PowerOff.ogg.disabled

From here, you can also get rid of camera and other annoying sounds from the phones UI.

Hope this helps answer your question, but there is no non-root method that guarantees silence.
    Thanked by 4:
    myminpins likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by 534n View Post
    This is easy to do if your phone is rooted, and requires no modification to any boot animation or anything.

Open a root explorer, go to /system/media/audio/ui.

Rename the following two files as shown below (not mandatory for the names to match mine, they are just for example)

From here, you can also get rid of camera and other annoying sounds from the phones UI.

Hope this helps answer your question, but there is no non-root method that guarantees silence.
    other than my hi-tech method of covering the speaker with a thumb even a finger if you wana get more technical
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Not entirely true. Mute your phone before you turn it off or restart it, and you will not hear the sound on startup. It's not a permanent fix, but it does the trick if you remember to do it.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    Not entirely true. Mute your phone before you turn it off or restart it, and you will not hear the sound on startup. It's not a permanent fix, but it does the trick if you remember to do it.
    Yeah and I remember hearing about an app specifically for this purpose - it would mute your phone automatically before a reboot and then unmute once the phone is back up. Simply and uncomplicated but it would seem to work.

Too bad I forgot what the app was!

EDIT: Looks like a partial fix, without root, with "Silent Boot" app. As recommended in this thread:

How to silence the boot sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by droidster1 View Post
    I second this. It works great for me and I am not rooted.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

can i ask why amyone wants it silenced lol?
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    For when you're starting up your phone during Church service? Or at a funeral? Or during a staff meeting? Or when your wife is trying to have a conversation with you?
    Thanked by:
    OnMy2ndGP and Clyde S Dale like this.
    Queendroid

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    Because it's annoying, and people like to stare when your phone makes noise lol. And all the reasons KreepyKen listed...

Does turning the system volume all the way down help? If I do that on my E4GT, the boot sound doesn't play at startup. This didn't work on my old Optimus S though, and I don't have a SGS3, so if it doesn't work I'm sorry, just throwing it out there

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

That is the point though. It makes you manually silence it every time and I believe it does not disable the power down sound. Also if you forget to unsilence it when you turn it back on you may miss stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhara View Post
    Because it's annoying, and people like to stare when your phone makes noise lol. And all the reasons KreepyKen listed...

Does turning the system volume all the way down help? If I do that on my E4GT, the boot sound doesn't play at startup. This didn't work on my old Optimus S though, and I don't have a SGS3, so if it doesn't work I'm sorry, just throwing it out there

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch
    That is essentially what the Silent Boot app does. It mutes your phone before it shuts down and then unmutes it after it starts up.
    Thanked by:
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

That is the point though. It makes you manually silence it every time and I believe it does not disable the power down sound. Also if you forget to unsilence it when you turn it back on you may miss stuff.
    If you mute the phone, you will not hear either the shutdown or startup sounds. That's why they call it "mute."

I keep my phone on mute around 75% of the time, and I don't hear either sound.

The OP asked for suggestions, and in an attempt to be helpful, I offered what works for me. If you have memory problems, find a different solution that works better for you. No need to thumb your nose at an idea because it is incompatible with your personal limitations.

Sent from my Pebble Blue SGS III.
    Thanked by:

If you mute the phone, you will not hear either the shutdown or startup sounds. That's why they call it "mute."

I keep my phone on mute around 75% of the time, and I don't hear either sound.

The OP asked for suggestions, and in an attempt to be helpful, I offered what works for me. If you have memory problems, find a different solution that works better for you. No need to thumb your nose at an idea because it is incompatible with your personal limitations.

Sent from my Pebble Blue SGS III.
    Oh come on man I wasn't even disagreeing with you, just pointing out an unmentioned fact lol. I am not even sure how what I said could be construed as thumbing my nose.

Not sure if this is the same on GS3 but on the GS I just read, and altered, the system volume in the sounds setup. Go to your Setup and choose Sounds, then choose Volume and slide the system volume all the say down. All other sounds still work but that one is gone! Yaaaaay no more waking up in the middle of the dang night because my phone restarted on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverana View Post
    Go to your Setup and choose Sounds, then choose Volume and slide the system volume all the say down. All other sounds still work but that one is gone! Yaaaaay no more waking up in the middle of the dang night because my phone restarted on me!
    I've confirmed this works. Question though, what system sounds would it mute outside of the touch sounds and all that? I have them off anyway, just want to make sure there's nothing else I would miss with that slider all the way down.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech

Not sure what all else other than the system sounds as you mentioned already for the touch pad stuff. I would imagine anything on the touch system would be turned off. I verified that the phone dial touch tones is off and I had that turned on temporarily a couple days ago so off is fine by me on that too. Verified that turning the phone off and on there is no sound also, but the Notifications and rings etc are all working fine.

To disable the shut-down sound, be sure to also disable in the same directory:

PowerOff.wav -> PowerOff.wav.disabled

-- in addition to: --

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Zhara View Post
    Because it's annoying, and people like to stare when your phone makes noise lol
    100% true
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast