[Help][50% SOLVED] LTE = random heavy battery drain aka "plummet"

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So I'm still dealing with my AT&T LET signal issue. No drains with my Note, had no more with my S3. AT&T called me back today and tells me why there it's such bad signal here now with LTE. None of the 3 towers around me, within 2 miles of me actually, are facing this area now. They turned one of the towers away when they turned on LTE and now they have to fix it. They have knocked out good signal for hundreds and hundreds of people. Took almost 3 months and 5 phones to get to the bottom of this.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

Last edited:

NinerSevenTango

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
This is to confirm the LTE battery drain issue. With LTE enabled, some phones (mine) will discharge in the standby mode, fast enough to raise the temperature of the case so that it is warm to the touch.

I searched and searched and tried everything offered up on the internet everywhere, but it wasn't until I found this thread that I finally got to the bottom of the battery drain issue.

An OS update was pushed over-the-air a few days ago, and presto, battery drain issue came back. Now I've got this thread bookmarked.

Here's how to disable LTE:

1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This is to confirm the LTE battery drain issue. With LTE enabled, some phones (mine) will discharge in the standby mode, fast enough to raise the temperature of the case so that it is warm to the touch.

I searched and searched and tried everything offered up on the internet everywhere, but it wasn't until I found this thread that I finally got to the bottom of the battery drain issue.

An OS update was pushed over-the-air a few days ago, and presto, battery drain issue came back. Now I've got this thread bookmarked.

Here's how to disable LTE:

1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect.

There's a new method for disabling LTE without having to mess with the SIM card. Check out the original thread, which has been updated:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...-s3-you-can-disable-hspa-too.html#post2551614

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Experiencing the plummet right now. No sign of QOSMGR at all in the debug list. Been watching it update for a couple minutes and it hasn't appeared at all.

Back to rebooting every morning. :/

I can also confirm I've had the plummet twice now and watched the processes closely for gsiff_daemon and/or QOSMGR. Neither appeared even once, from what I saw.

No doubt QOSMGR might be the culprit for some - much as the gsiff_daemon is for others. However, for the "plummet", which has only been cured by disabling LTE, QOSMGR does not appear to be involved.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My battery plummet issue is location specific. It happens when I arrive home from work. My battery discharges appropriately at work. When I get home, my phone will switch to my home wifi from 4G LTE. The battery will start discharging 1% every few minutes. I tried turning off wifi, data when I'm at home, but the drain will continue. If I restart the phone, the battery plummet stops.

I've tried different batteries, and AT&T sent me a replacement phone to try out, but it still occurred. I haven't tried turning off 4G LTE and using HSPA instead. It must be something with the software or design flaw in the hardware.

I've simply resigned myself to restart the phone each time I get home. It's only a minor bother, but I've spent too much time troubleshooting.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
My battery plummet issue is location specific. It happens when I arrive home from work. My battery discharges appropriately at work. When I get home, my phone will switch to my home wifi from 4G LTE. The battery will start discharging 1% every few minutes. I tried turning off wifi, data when I'm at home, but the drain will continue. If I restart the phone, the battery plummet stops.

I've tried different batteries, and AT&T sent me a replacement phone to try out, but it still occurred. I haven't tried turning off 4G LTE and using HSPA instead. It must be something with the software or design flaw in the hardware.

I've simply resigned myself to restart the phone each time I get home. It's only a minor bother, but I've spent too much time troubleshooting.

I know exactly how you feel. I spent so much time trying to figure this out that I stopped enjoying my phone. I stopped installing apps or doing anything with it, really, for the sake of collecting evidence. I finally decided just to enjoy my phone and reboot it once or twice a day to avoid the plummet. Turning off LTE worked but I miss LTE too much - if I were able to go without LTE I'd have bought a Nexus 4.

I agree that it must be location specific since this issue does not effect all users or even all LTE users. That's probably the reason we won't see a fix aside from perhaps tower changes in our areas eliminating the problem somehow, largely by mistake.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
God help me :(

Haha join the club.

I wouldn't say your graph is conclusively the plummet...but definitely some hints there...only thing is there could be explanations. First drop in the beginning you had GPS on - maybe navigation with the screen off? I'm not sure what that straight down drop of like 8% is right at the end of the GPS time. The rest seems fairly normal until that last hour or so, which sure looks like a plummet even though there's a good amount of screen on time there as well...

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I think I fell asleep early around 34%, then woke up and actually watched the battery drop to 6% out of nowhere!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
When I had the plummet, I went to sleep with it at 100% and it woke me up 6.5 hours later beeping and it was at 14%.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl :)

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
As I've said before: any time you're going to sleep without putting your phone on the charger, it would be very wise to reboot, hopefully forestalling the plummet so you don't wake up to a dead battery...or not wake up at all because the alarm did not go off!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
As I've said before: any time you're going to sleep without putting your phone on the charger, it would be very wise to reboot, hopefully forestalling the plummet so you don't wake up to a dead battery...or not wake up at all because the alarm did not go off!

I just had it that one time, I generally charge at night. I'm on the N2 now, haven't had a plummet on it.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl :)

phelarus

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I had to join because I am having this same issue and I have an idea.

I seem to have the plummet problem every 2-3 days. My day will be going along great and my battery dropping very slowly. Then in the evening, the battery suddenly takes a dive and the phone heats up. The only thing that will fix it is turning on airplane mode or rebooting.

I am on AT&T and running Liquidsmooth ROM (which in NOT Touchwiz based). Incidentally, I noticed this plummet issue before and after installing a custom rom.

I have notice this: The plummet, if it occurs, happens at the same time of day. For me, it will only occur around 6:30 PM EDT. I noticed other people in this thread talking about evening as well. Does anyone else with this problem notice it happening at a specific time during the day?

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I had to join because I am having this same issue and I have an idea.

I seem to have the plummet problem every 2-3 days. My day will be going along great and my battery dropping very slowly. Then in the evening, the battery suddenly takes a dive and the phone heats up. The only thing that will fix it is turning on airplane mode or rebooting.

I am on AT&T and running Liquidsmooth ROM (which in NOT Touchwiz based). Incidentally, I noticed this plummet issue before and after installing a custom rom.

I have notice this: The plummet, if it occurs, happens at the same time of day. For me, it will only occur around 6:30 PM EDT. I noticed other people in this thread talking about evening as well. Does anyone else with this problem notice it happening at a specific time during the day?

Mine occurs typically in the late morning.
When this happens to you at 6:30, are you in an LTE area and are you connected to WiFi?

phelarus

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I live in an LTE fringe area but usually get constant LTE on the second floor of my house. The plummet has occurred with WiFi on and data turned off.

However, I have also had the plummet happen while downtown with very strong LTE and WiFi off. For me, it doesn't seem to make a difference whether WiFi is on/off or if I have strong/weak LTE. It does always occur around 6:30 pm.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

s3sucks

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting similar issues excepts it happening as soon as I unplug the charger instead of randomly or later in the day. I'm also on AT&T, It started happening on the stock JB. While on the charger it charges up to 100%, as soon as unplugged it drops immediately to around 50%. If I plug the charger back in it starts the charging process all over again. I've tried different chargers and different batteries with the same issue. Once in a while if I reboot immediately after fully charged it stays 100% for 10 seconds and then starts dropping at about 1% every 5 seconds. I tried recalibrating the battery with same results, same with factory reset.

I decided to put cm10.1 on it and I still get the same issue. I tried charging the battery with an external charger instead of using the phone but when I switch batteries it shows 50%. Disabling LTE and wifi did not work. I even tried airplane mode but it still drops. Battery monitoring software like gsam don't show any apps that are draining it. I am completely at a loss at whats causing it. At this point I'm considering a switch to apple based on the amount of time I've put into it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there's really anything the phone could do (other than a dead short in the battery contacts) that would drain a battery by 50% in a few seconds. If the battery were really discharging that rapidly it would get extremely hot, and likely catch fire. 1% every 5 seconds would also make the battery really hot.

Does that battery get extremely hot during this process? If so, it's possibly defective phone hardware. More likely, I think, it's a defective battery. the fact that it shows 50% immediately whether you charge it in the phone or an external charger leads me to believe that the battery is telling the charger to shut down too soon.

s3sucks

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I've tried multiple batteries and they all do the same thing. The external charger shows when the battery is fully charged. When I put the battery from the external charger to the phone it drops down to 50%, when I put it back into the external charger it shows that its fully charged. The phone does not get hot at all when dropping by 1% ever 5 seconds or when it drops down to 50%. This leads me to believe it may be the way that the phone is calculating the charge left on the battery but if that was the case shouldn't it automatically bump to 100% when plugging the cable back into the phone rather than start to charge all over again?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay