Screen Dims - Inactivity?

jeff1penny

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone...looking for some help here in settings.....

Now before I start, I need everyone to know I'm NOT referring to the screen timeout here, what I'm referring to is something completely different....(or perhaps not)

When I'm using the device, even if my screen timeout is set to let's say 30 seconds, if I'm not actually TOUCHING the screen, my screen will "dim" after a few seconds of non-use. Anyone know why this is and what setting I can disable so that the screen stays at full brightness UNTIL it times out?

I appreciate your responses, thanks

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah strange. i have time-out set to 10mins and have never had that happen.. does it happen no matter what time-out u have set?

jeff1penny

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
yeah strange. i have time-out set to 10mins and have never had that happen.. does it happen no matter what time-out u have set?

you might be onto something funky, it seems it just happens right before it times out, so obviously the longer the timeout setting, the less its happening. Just wish it didn't happen at all, but I guess I can just increase the timeout for now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have mine set to 1 minute timeout. After about 40-45 seconds it dims the screen and if it's still not touched it locks.

This seems normal.. It happened on my s2 as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah think it fades out to give u a chance to touch the screen + prevent the screen locking but it'd be nice if that was optional and ive seen a few people complain about the "fade out" bein too "jumpy" instead of smooth and gradual. ive always been in habit of switchin screen off when i finish usin the phone so i dont need a time-out

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The screen will dim 10s before your timeout time is reached, as a warning that it's about to turn off due to inactivity.

So if your timeout is 30s...at 20s of no use it will dim. And 10s later it will turn off if you do not do anything.

With Smart Stay it would work like this: 10s before screen timeout time, smart stay comes on and checks for your eyes. If it sees you, it resets the screen timeout as if you had touched the screen. If it doesn't see you, the screen dims. 10s later smart stay checks again. If it sees you, it resets the screen timeout as if you had touched the screen. If it doesn't see you, the screen turns off.

PeteJE

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen will dim 10s before your timeout time is reached, as a warning that it's about to turn off due to inactivity.

So if your timeout is 30s...at 20s of no use it will dim. And 10s later it will turn off if you do not do anything.

With Smart Stay it would work like this: 10s before screen timeout time, smart stay comes on and checks for your eyes. If it sees you, it resets the screen timeout as if you had touched the screen. If it doesn't see you, the screen dims. 10s later smart stay checks again. If it sees you, it resets the screen timeout as if you had touched the screen. If it doesn't see you, the screen turns off.

I have had very spotty luck getting smart stay to work for me.

tamcut

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. It's the Secured lock time under Settings>Lock Screen>Secured lock time. The default is 15 seconds.

mparshall

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on a galaxy nexus.

In my case, when I save 'display/sleep' setting from 15-sec to 1-min, it will eventually change back to 15-sec after a day or so.

I agree with another poster who says it may be being overridden by another app. In my case, I think it may have something to do with 'car mode' and the docking function along with the default app that gets launched (car-home ultra. ) It includes settings to "temporarily" override phone settings such as speaker mode, keep display on, enable bluetooth, etc. It's supposed to restore the previous settings on exit, but who knows. Maybe somethings getting confused intermittently. I haven't been able to readily reproduce the problem as of yet.

Mark--

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay