We need to let OEMs and Corning know how bad Gorilla Glass 2 is!

Terminator91

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: We need to let OEMs and Corning know how bad Gorilla Glass 2

Sorry Mr terminator sir. This is everyone's first phone so nobody knows what to do.

Seriously, why would anyone change the way they handle or carry their phone if they never had an issue before. Whats sadistic about that? Who is claiming they took a knife to the screen and scratched it, and now talking $hit? Really how many spent time researching gorilla glass 2 before buying there phone? Most are looking for answers after the fact.

And if a fault with the phone or glass is found and corrected im sure you wont have an apology. Try and put a little thought in your comments.

Thank you for your participation ;)

Haha, no offense meant. But it's curious, you say this is likely the first phone you or others bought, and yet you then say, why would they change the way they handle/carry the phon etc. It has nothing to do with how you hold the phone, but everything to do with a little common sense. There is no glass in the world that does not scratch.

I can make a few analogies of my own. It's like saying, because you owned a CRT tube television, and then moved to a thin LED one, you are shocked that you can't just use a paper towel and windex on it without causing scratches because you were used to doing it to the hard glass crt in the past.

If anything, you'd be more careful, not less. Gorilla Glass 2 makes no claim whatsoever that the technology is scratch proof. They simply state it's stronger than their previous versions and doesn't scratch as easily. And this is true.

If they have "researched" as you have claimed, you'd see many, many people say the phone is not scratch-proof as claimed. You'd look at the drop test videos, etc. And yes, it's no ones fault but your own that the phone has microscratches. Because the phone still works is irrelevant.

The case and screen protector industry has grown exponentially every year. There isn't a model or phone that does not have some form of protection available. Most likely you would have seen several at the store or place you purchased from. On Amazon, you can get a pack of 3 for less than $2.

Anyways, please reply, I'd love to hear from you.

"I'll Be Back :cool:"

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Are all of your scratches located above the home button? There seems to be some buzz that manufacturing left some micro scratches there do to over speed up drilling procs.

Has anyone used the HD version of the helicopter film? I have and it is smooth like glass, looks great, and swipe still slides.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

lol Termy. do u believe my theory that theres maybe a bad batch of gg2 on certain s3s? i throw mine around and treat it as the tool that it is and i have zero scratches YET and if i get any then its my fault but it seems like others are getting scratches "unfairly"

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Ok Mr. terminator, your statements truly puts you in position to run for office. :eek:
You have never had a product with a possible defect because you put a screen protector on it.
We are all ignorant for sharing our unprotected issues publicly.
I will be extremely careful the next time I talk on my led t.v.
I suppose our claims are not as well thought as your analogies
I have used a facetious statement, can you find it?
Now if you don't mind I`m gonna finish watching Total Recall on my S3 without a screen protector.

sent from my 50" samsung led TV.

Tb311

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Are all of your scratches located above the home button? There seems to be some buzz that manufacturing left some micro scratches there do to over speed up drilling procs.

Has anyone used the HD version of the helicopter film? I have and it is smooth like glass, looks great, and swipe still slides.

This sounds interesting since. My scratch is about an inch directly above my home button.

Terminator91

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Ok Mr. terminator, your statements truly puts you in position to run for office. :eek:
You have never had a product with a possible defect because you put a screen protector on it.
We are all ignorant for sharing our unprotected issues publicly.
I will be extremely careful the next time I talk on my led t.v.
I suppose our claims are not as well thought as your analogies
I have used a facetious statement, can you find it?
Now if you don't mind I`m gonna finish watching Total Recall on my S3 without a screen protector.

sent from my 50" samsung led TV.

No, but you are trying to obfuscate my original intent with a pathetic attempt at humor because you have no argument. You said that it's everybody's first phone, that they likely didn't know it would be scratched because they believed cornings gorilla glass 2 to be "scratch-proof" etc. when it was never claimed to be scratch-proof.

"This is everyone's first phone so nobody knows what to do...And if a fault with the phone or glass is found and corrected im sure you wont have an apology"

Those are your words are they not? To my original post?

My point being that you are now complaining "after the fact" that it's scratched up, when you most likely didn't think about it before. It's irrelevant what your previous phones did, this is not your previous phone. The design and screen is unique and original. I doubt your last phones were this thin with a screen this big. There could be a number of factors here.

Saying that your previous Droids, RAZR's, HTC phones could be put face down no scratches is irrelevant as this is not those phones and it's anecdotal.

And if you have the time or ability to complain on one of the largest android forums in the world, you should have read up on how the screen isn't scratch-proof. In fact, quite a few reviewers mentioned their device had a few micro-scratches on the screen.

So keep making jokes... But if my "abrasive" first post at least frightens a potential buyer enough to purchase a screen protector, it'll be worth it no? I bet tons of people will search galaxy s3, gorilla glass, scratches and see my post.

Terminator91

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

lol Termy. do u believe my theory that theres maybe a bad batch of gg2 on certain s3s? i throw mine around and treat it as the tool that it is and i have zero scratches YET and if i get any then its my fault but it seems like others are getting scratches "unfairly"

Could be possible, hard to tell, especially because each case is anecdotal. I've found people tend to lie, even when it helps them. "Oh it was just a slight drop", "there was nothing in my pocket".

There could be any number of factors, some sand or grit in the pocket, maybe they didn't remember when it was in there with keys, maybe while sitting down, there was too much pressure on the screen causing it to flex and rub, maybe there was dirt on their carpet, maybe they had small particles in their hands.

There are a number of possibilties. As for manufacturing, I'd still doubt it. Samsung has one of the world's largest production facilities in China and Korea. They churn out several thousand a day, all electronically, all to spec. Could there be an instance where it got scratched from manufacture to packaging? Sure.

Keep in mind, that workers packed your phones in boxes. You should always inspect it properly from day one. And then again, this may be "gorilla glass 2", but this is a new phone, with a new huge 305 ppi super amoled screen and is very thin. Maybe it's not as resistant as your old phones were depite Corning's claims of how good this is

I just hope anyone out there reading, gets at least those cheap 99 cent static cling protectors. Those will absorb 95% of the abuse at least. Maybe someone doesn't notice the contaminants on their car door handle, they open the door, sit down, quickly check phone before driving and in that time, what was on their hands, is now being "slid" across the screen.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

You said that it's everybody's first phone, that they likely didn't know it would be scratched because they believed cornings gorilla glass 2 to be "scratch-proof" etc.

No one, not one single person in this thread has yet said GG2 is supposed to be scratch *proof*. The whole point of a thread like this is to point out that what is supposed to be an upgraded material seems to be inferior to the old version. Many of us have mentioned having older phone, like my Droid 2 I had for 2 years, that is absolutely pristine to this day whereas not even one month in I'd gotten 5 micro-scratches on my S3 screen.

Everyone knows glass can scratch, yeah we're well beyond that. Why people's older phones with Gorilla Glass 1 are still pristine after 2 years of ownership and the newer stronger GG2 is scratching much easier - THAT is the issue at hand, NOT whether or not it can scratch.

Rev.

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

No, but you are trying to obfuscate my original intent with a pathetic attempt at humor because you have no argument. You said that it's everybody's first phone, that they likely didn't know it would be scratched because they believed cornings gorilla glass 2 to be "scratch-proof" etc. when it was never claimed to be scratch-proof.
keep making jokes... But if my "abrasive" first post at least frightens a potential buyer enough to purchase a screen protector, it'll be worth it no? I bet tons of people will search galaxy s3, gorilla glass, scratches and see my post.

This is everyone's first phone and nobody knows what to to. (really) .... come on

I`m sorry if you took everything the wrong way.
Is it wrong to post in a humorous way to get my point across, but you can abrasively frighten ppl in a almost like sadistic matter to get your point across. Those are your words correct.

Just take away all the anger away and you will be taken seriously. Just like you did after you replied to funkylogik. Thats the kinda post a ton of ppl will read. I hope you understand!!!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
No one, not one single person in this thread has yet said GG2 is supposed to be scratch *proof*. The whole point of a thread like this is to point out that what is supposed to be an upgraded material seems to be inferior to the old version. Many of us have mentioned having older phone, like my Droid 2 I had for 2 years, that is absolutely pristine to this day whereas not even one month in I'd gotten 5 micro-scratches on my S3 screen.

Everyone knows glass can scratch, yeah we're well beyond that. Why people's older phones with Gorilla Glass 1 are still pristine after 2 years of ownership and the newer stronger GG2 is scratching much easier - THAT is the issue at hand, NOT whether or not it can scratch.

Rev.
yeah ur right man, the thread "are you going nude" is the place to debate the use of screen protectors. this topic is more about the quality of gg2 on the s3.
@bier and terminator. ur both funny and knowledgable guys. i think u took each other the wrong way to begin with but dont really wana be arguing :) *group hug*

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Your right. I hope we can get back to a positive on topic thread. My apologies sir.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 34809

View attachment 34810

Scratch i got today. Sucks. I had no idea sand/dirt can do this. Doesnt look too bad in most lighting. But still. Im mad at myself.
ouch that looks pretty deep man. can u feel it with ur fingernail?
on a plus.. aparently samsung have admitted that their displays are prone to "burn-in" and will replace any screen affected so (i dont know if the gg2 is attatched to the actual display but if it is) just leave ur screen on full brightness for a week with the same bright image on the screen till it burns in and send it to Sammy for a replacement ;)

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

I have one of those OEM Flip Covers without a screen protector. It's been about 3 weeks and no scratches. The phone stays in my front pockets. I'm thinking of purchasing a iVisor by moshi to use with the cover.

just leave ur screen on full brightness for a week with the same bright image on the screen till it burns in and send it to Sammy for a replacement ;)

LOL

mc_gusto

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

ouch that looks pretty deep man. can u feel it with ur fingernail?
on a plus.. aparently samsung have admitted that their displays are prone to "burn-in" and will replace any screen affected so (i dont know if the gg2 is attatched to the actual display but if it is) just leave ur screen on full brightness for a week with the same bright image on the screen till it burns in and send it to Sammy for a replacement ;)

Actually its not as bad as the pic looks. took me like 10 different angle shots before i could see the scratch. Sometimes i have to look hard for it. That pic, the light hits it just right. Can barely feel it with fingernail. But i can.
Interesting. you have a link to samsung admitting this?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

theres a big arguement thread on this forum, something like "im glad i didnt get an Htc One X" or something and people start talkin bout it near the end of that, maybe 4/5 pages from the end i think mate

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Wow, that looks more like a fracture to me. It looks very similar to the fracture on my phone.
The fracture on my phone doesn`t standout either. You can only see it with the phone off or a dark screen.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

a fracture would go right through the glass i think where as a scratch is on the surface