Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Can't figure out Copy/Paste on S3

Unrooted here, using Swiftkey3. I just tried copying some text from an email message using Aquamail. I was able to paste into a new message. I long pressed in the new message and the paste option popped on screen.

Interestingly enough, I have tried this several times before, but without success. I rebooted yesterday due to some BT issues and now it works.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

It might be stating the obvious, but you have to tap EMPTY space when you long press to paste. If there's text there, it assumes you want to copy something new.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

It never hurts to state the obvious, but that is not a problem.

This is an actual bug what affects un rooted stock phones, with no obviously link to any particular app

---Sent from the most advanced android mobile super-computer on the planet: the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, featuring simultaneous voice & data and speedy 4G!!!

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcguys View Post
    Something really goofy: I figured I'd try some different applications. In the contact app, when editing a contact, I selected some text, pressed the cut or copy icon at the top, then when I long press, it says the word clipboard instead of paste.

Any ideas what that means?

thx
    mike
    Normally there should be two options: clipboard and paste. Clipboard will show you a list of everything you've recently copied and allow you to paste from there.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

This has taken me weeks to figure out. Normally you can tap anywhere within the area you're typing in and you can select some or select all.. I've been moaning about this to my mate for ages.. Whether its ICS or just the S3 I'm not sure but here's how I do it.

You MUST press and hold in the text itself. You cant just click anywhere... If I click to the side of the text, it just offers me paste from previous times. ..

If you press and hold your finger right in the centre of the word or a word of the bits you want then a full menu appears, you get:

An arrow / the letter T with a cursor next to it / scissors / cut / paste...

The letter or symbol T is select all!!!

Hump, but got there in the end

Tony
    Last edited by Tony_1170; 08-19-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typo
    Geek Mom

I can copy and can't paste no matter what I do. It's very annoying. I installed clipper so I know my copies are working.

Just to make sure I'm not a total ***** , when I select some text I have 4 options:
    - check mark = ? just exit the menu?
    - 4 squares = expand selection
    - scissor = cut
    - 2 pieces of paper = copy

I use Swiftkey as well. I was using Swiftkey Tablet since I had purchased it for my tablet. I uninstalled it and still no joy. Any ideas?
    Phil Blunk likes this.
    Geek Mom

See this thread: Problems with cut and paste

OK, well heres how I do it and showed a mate at work with his S3 and now he's sorted ;-)

1) I used default email app in ICS
    2) typed word HELLO
    3) placed my finger in the middle of the word HELLO - if you place it anywhere else on the screen it wont work - if you have numerous words as is normal, you still have to press on an actual WORD!
    4) Then you'll see the menu as below
    5) Option 2 is select all / option 3 is cut / option 4 is copy /
    6) or just drag the little markers to the text u want.

Or install "AI type" keyboard from play store. Has a great menu for editing text

From looking around in various forums. This does seem to be a know issue. The only solution appears to be backing up your phone via samsungs kies software and doing a factory reset then restoring all your data. I had to do this when I had another bug with my s3 and it was simple but wish we didn't have to do it at all. That is if you don't want to root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Geek Mom

I rooted and fixed it. It was pretty simple. I didn't want to root, but I wanted to reset less.

I just started having this problem out of the blue on my sgsIII.

Only a hard reset fixed it since I am not rooted :-(

What could be causing this? I'm thinking Google Chrome since that was the last app I installed before it started happening

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

Ive had this issue pop up several times, I just clear my clipboard and the ability to copy and paste is restored.

I'm sure I posted this before:

To get the two blue cursor's so you can high light text, will only come up if you tap and hold "ON" a word. Then you can postition them wherever you fancy.

Never fails to work on my SIII

Quote Originally Posted by 1after90nine View Post
    Ive had this issue pop up several times, I just clear my clipboard and the ability to copy and paste is restored.
    Where do I find my clipboard? I can copy to clipboard but don't know where to find it after that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by my3chis View Post
    Where do I find my clipboard? I can copy to clipboard but don't know where to find it after that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

If you long press in a text field (anywhere that you want to paste copied information..email text etc..) two options should pop up one is paste the other is clipboard. tap clipboard and it will open.

Everything that has been previously copy and pasted should be there. Long press each one individually and different options will be made available. Chose delete from clipboard.

After clearing the clipboard the ability to copy was available again after selecting the text with the blue cursers.

If you long press in a text field two options should pop up one is paste the other is clipboard. tap clipboard and it will open.

Everything that has been previously copy and pasted should be there. Long press each one individually and different options will be made available. Chose delete from clipboard.

After clearing the clipboard the ability to copy was available again after selecting the text with the blue cursers.
    But if you have this bug you can't even access the clipboard :-(

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    But if you have this bug you can't even access the clipboard :-(
    Yes I have been able to paste anything previously copied, the issue for me was that I couldnt copy anything new...I could select text with the blue cursers but it wouldnt open the copy menu at the top of the screen.
    I just go into a text field, long press, chose clipboard and everything previously copied will show in my clipboard. After deleting everything out I am able to once again copy.
    Eventually the issue will come up again, I clear the clipboard and I can copy again.

Yes I have been able to paste anything previously copied, the issue for me was that I couldnt copy anything new...I could select text with the blue cursers but it wouldnt open the copy menu at the top of the screen.
    I just go into a text field, long press, chose clipboard and everything previously copied will show in my clipboard. After deleting everything out I am able to once again copy.
    Eventually the issue will come up again, I clear the clipboard and I can copy again.
    Oh ok. My issue is that copying crashes the program i am copying from

Maybe I can add to the thread? I've got exactly the same problem. The options are all there when copying text: select all, cut, copy etc. but only the clipboard option is available when going to another application. No number of tips on how to perform the task helps as it worked perfectly well for months, now it doesn't for some reason. It's not a number of us being thick, it's just stopped working!

I've tried clearing the cache, rebooting, trying different browsers, different keyboards, updating the software . . . So on and so forth, none of them work?

Any other ideas?

Same problem here. I can copy fine but no paste options appear when I long press on a blank text entry field. Occurred with stock keyboard out of the box, continues with Swype beta and swift key...driving me demented!! You don't realise how much you use it until it's gone.....

I have the same problem, I've been unable to paste for the past few days and it's driving me crazy

Wow never seen so many problems with copy and paste. I jus long press to get tha copy grid then hit tha double sheet of paper. Then when i want to past I tap once in tha text field then long press for tha pase option.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

[HOW TO] Fix Copy And Paste Not Working Issue

Party.

Galaxy S3 - Thanks Appreciated!
    My Podcast-
    My Blog-

These (2) options are not acceptable. I've tried all workarounds and they do not work for me. Can not root because of warranty. can't reset have too much invested it installed programs and desktp folders to reset. Others are saying that the problem comes back anyway. We need a correction from Samsung!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast