Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't figure out Copy/Paste on S3

I've been using android for 2 years, and was able to copy/paste fine on my EVO.

On my S3, I press & hold, I get the two blue selectors. I drag around, then press what I presume is the copy icon (at top right, icon is two sheets of paper).

The copy/paste bar disappears from the top.

At this point, I thought I would just press and hold to get a paste option. Nothing happens when I do. I only get a single blue selector which lets me move the cursor.

What am I missing?

How do I invoke the paste option?

Thanks,
    Mike
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Default Re: Can't figure out Copy/Paste on S3

Quote Originally Posted by pcguys View Post
    I've been using android for 2 years, and was able to copy/paste fine on my EVO.

On my S3, I press & hold, I get the two blue selectors. I drag around, then press what I presume is the copy icon (at top right, icon is two sheets of paper).

The copy/paste bar disappears from the top.

At this point, I thought I would just [HL]press and hold to get a paste option[/HL]. Nothing happens when I do. I only get a single blue selector which lets me move the cursor.

What am I missing?

How do I invoke the paste option?
    That is how you do it, works fine on mine. Are you stock or rooted?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Stock. I'll reboot in case my phone is confused.

Thx
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Just rebooted. Still, a press and hold does not invoke the paste option.

YIKES!!!

I NEED COPY/PASTE!!!

HELP!!!!

What are you trying to paste into? I long press into a text field and paste option appears. Sounds like you are doing it right, not sure why it's not working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

no problems with c/p on mine. What app are you trying to c/p in?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Into the body of a gmail message, into the body of a touchdown (exchange) message, into the signature field of tapatalk.

All I get is a single blue cursor adjusting icon.

I have 2 other S3's in the family so I'll check those when I get home.

Odd.

Come to think about it I don't see this option as well.
    SUCCESS IS MY ONLY OPTION...FAILURE IS NOT !!
    BEACH BUM

ROM

I am not sure what handles the copy paste function. I am assuming it is the keyboard. I am using Swype. I would first try and clear the data from the Samsung Keyboard (assuming that is what you are using) and reboot. See if that solves your issue. If not then I would try a different keyboard like Swype, or Swiftkey to see if that solves your issue. Finally, I would try to clear the phones Cache.

****I just thought of something else: Empty or clear your clipboard (might be full).

Global Posts
    2,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

on some apps it does not work properly when you long ours the text field. If you are using the Samsung keyboard hold down what should be a gear button for the settings. When you hold down that a folder with a paper clip should show up. That is the clip board whatever you copied should be there
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I use swift key keyboard.

About clearing cache, does that erase any phone setting or config?

Is that the 'wipe system cache' function which is available from the special boot menu (when you hold down power and some other key? (I don't know the keys to press on the S3)

Thanks,
    Mike
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by pcguys View Post
    I use swift key keyboard.

About clearing cache, does that erase any phone setting or config? No

[HL]Is that the 'wipe system cache' function which is available from the special boot menu (when you hold down power and some other key? (I don't know the keys to press on the S3)[/HL] Yes

Thanks,
    Mike
    Ok, then I would start by clearing the Cache and or Data for Swiftkey. Then see if that solves your issue. If not then delete Swiftkey and reinstall. Finally, I wipe my phones cache about once a month to keep things running smooth.

[HL]To wipe: Power phone off>Hold volume up + Home + Power> Wipe Cache Partition>Reboot.[/HL]

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

once you have the blue bar where u can select, look up top of the screen, you should have the options there
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I just tested pasting on my other S3 and it works fine, as expected.
    I remember I disabled some applications / services trying to get better battery life. I just re-enabled most of them (especially the ones I didn't know what they were), but that didn't help.

I just switched back to samsung keyboard (that way I don't have to clear data and re-setup swiftkey). Still happening.

Rebooted again (after the above changes). Still, pasting not working.

I just wiped system cache, still not pasting.

HELP!

What should I try next?

Thx
    Mike
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Something really goofy: I figured I'd try some different applications. In the contact app, when editing a contact, I selected some text, pressed the cut or copy icon at the top, then when I long press, it says the word clipboard instead of paste.

Any ideas what that means?

thx
    mike
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

WAIT: I forgot an important point: I'm using Go Launcher. (It's so natural for me now I forgot I was using it.

Let me figure out how to switch back to touch wiz without trashing all my launcher settings.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I cleared defaults, pressed home, touch wiz stopped responding, I rebooted, was back to touch wiz, but still no pasting.
    I just went back to go launcher.

Hmm.

I am running vlingo on double-press of home instead of s-voice. Maybe I should try going back to that.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what's different between the two phones.

Mike
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Good hunch re swiftkey keyboard.

http://support.swiftkey.net/forums/1...galaxy-sii-ics

Clearing data doesn't resolve it for me. M about to uninstall and reboot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I wish I could rename this thread title so it doesn't make me sound like an *****.

I was able to reproduce the problem on a newly factory defaulted Galaxy S2 (after the upgrade to ICS) with swift key installed.

The annoying thing, however, is that even after uninstalling swiftkey, it's still not working.

Because this affects S3 & S2, either ICS alone or with swift key, someone will fix it quickly.

Mike
    wyhsbc likes this.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Mike, you are not alone on this one. I have the EXACT same experience on my Sprint S3 stock build, un-rooted with Android 4.04. I am using the stock Samsung keyboard.

I experienced this right out of the box.

From the posts, it seems everyone is not experiencing the same problem as we are.

Hope someone can figure out what the issue may be, it is somewhat maddening.
    mjacob2448 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

, thanks for the reply, it's good to know that it's not the swiftkey keyboard which I really enjoy using a great deal

---Sent from the most advanced android mobile super-computer on the planet: the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, featuring simultaneous voice & data and speedy 4G!!!

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I hope you get it figured out for that would be frustrating. I am using SwiftKey and it works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyhsbj View Post
    Mike, you are not alone on this one. I have the EXACT same experience on my Sprint S3 stock build, un-rooted with Android 4.04. I am using the stock Samsung keyboard.

I experienced this right out of the box.

From the posts, it seems everyone is not experiencing the same problem as we are.

Hope someone can figure out what the issue may be, it is somewhat maddening.
    I'm on att. Same issues. Works when it wants to. Annoying.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Once it stopped working it never started again.

Until the factory wipe of course

---Sent from the most advanced android mobile super-computer on the planet: the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, featuring simultaneous voice & data and speedy 4G!!!

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Unrooted SIII using swiftkey and my email app force closes after I hit the copy button.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast