YouTube with screen off

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, when you are watching YouTube and the screen goes off does YouTube stop streaming? If does for me. I was riding home and hooked my phone to my car audio to listen to some stuff. Screen went of an there you go. I was driving so didn't want to keep worrying about the screen but why would I want the screen to stay on anyway. Pandora doesn't shut off. Is it just me?

Sent from my Galaxy S III

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, when you are watching YouTube and the screen goes off does YouTube stop streaming? If does for me. I was riding home and hooked my phone to my car audio to listen to some stuff. Screen went of an there you go. I was driving so didn't want to keep worrying about the screen but why would I want the screen to stay on anyway. Pandora doesn't shut off. Is it just me?

It's a video, when the screen shuts off, it shuts off the whole video. If you want to listen to something like music, stick to Pandora our songza, or download the YouTube video in a mp3 format and listen to it from the music player.

You know what they say, all toasters toast toast.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Because YouTube is a video service. It's nothing like Pandora.

I don't see the option in the Development settings to keep your screen on when your phone is plugged in, so maybe you can find some kind of no-sleep app.

Personally I pay for music because I like to support the artists I listen to and jumping through hoops to hear something for free which you could literally buy for under a dollar seems redundant. Just pay for Spotify or straight up buy MP3s from Amazon or Google Play.

Sent from my rooted/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
No I don't use YouTube for music. I wasn't really comparing it to pandora for content just comparing that both are streaming apps and pandora works with the screen off and YouTube doesn't. Never experienced this on any other device. And I don't want to keep my screen on so the battery can due even faster. It should still work. At least it did on my other devices. I guess it's video it assumes you are actually watching videos so it stops. Well I listen to prank call recordings for fun so there is no video only sound. Kinda sucks this doesn't work. Not a deal breaker though.

Thanks for the attempt.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
You answered your own question. That's exactly why it doesn't work.

Which device did this work on? Out of the dozen or so Android devices I've played with this have never worked for me.

There used to be an app called Ghost Town which stripped the audio from YouTube videos and would stream just that, but it got axed. Maybe there's something similar to that not in the Play Store.

Sent from my rooted/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
While not a fix, I use an app called Screen On when I want to keep hearing audio from YouTube. You can designate apps that will keep the "Screen On" such as YouTube. Since keeping the screen on is a battery hog, I leave my cigarette adapter connected and have no issues when in the car.

Alternatively, you can make the app just keep the screen on all the time under the options if you launch it.

I use it on my tablet to keep my screen awake for the MSNBC stock app and it's worked great on my S III.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd&token=Cpmwliab

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
There used to be what I call a feature (and Google probably called it a bug) that let it keep playing with the screen off. The "feature" was removed sometime around October 2011.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: scorpiodsu

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
There used to be what I call a feature (and Google probably called it a bug) that let it keep playing with the screen off. The "feature" was removed sometime around October 2011.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Exactly. It didn't use to always be like this. I'll try the app the user suggested above to see if it will work. People with their wild suggestions and making assumptions are pretty entertaining. Thanks.

resiak

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. It didn't use to always be like this. I'll try the app the user suggested above to see if it will work. People with their wild suggestions and making assumptions are pretty entertaining. Thanks.

Agreed...entertaining but also pretty annoying. Not all videos on YouTube are music or something you need to watch, for instance, audio books, lectures, etc. Love when people come up with assumptions and say smart ass comments when in fact they're just ignorant.

desdroid

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
exactly, not everything on YouTube requires watching.
News, audiobooks, current event commentary, documentaries.

would love to listen to The YoungTurks while driving and save battery.

brandon bantheirass

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
a rather good question, i have the exact same scenario and now i'm trying to find out if there's a setting of some sort to enable just audio play while screen is off.
i actually do repair variety of cell phones myself and there are certain models that keep on playing while screen is off.
and now my galaxy tab goes bleh, so yeah, still searching.

accava

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
This is extremely annoying. I listen to a podcast that can be several hours long. It DOES NOT HAVE VIDEO! I dont want to waste the already terrible battery. I have had the same phone for close to a year and it used to work fine. It stopped working when i did a software upgrade about three months ago. I just upgraded again tonight thinking maybe they fixed it. of course they didnt. Why is this option not in the settings? im sure they have gotten complaints about this. FIX IT!!!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Don't understand why this thread keeps popping up every few weeks, there are apps that do what you want in the playstore, just take a look

I don't understand why people come into these old threads and post the same complaint without, apparently, reading the answers already given. Accava, there are several solutions to the problem provided in the posts right above yours. Instead of complaining, why don't you just solve the problem? No phone does everything every individual might want. But, as Apple used to say, "There's an app for that."

SKeen84

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Toaster don't toast toast...they toast bread!

- - - Updated - - -

It's a video, when the screen shuts off, it shuts off the whole video. If you want to listen to something like music, stick to Pandora our songza, or download the YouTube video in a mp3 format and listen to it from the music player.

You know what they say, all toasters toast toast.

Toasters don't toast toast...they toast bread!