Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By scorpiodsu
  • 1 Post By resiak
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default YouTube with screen off

Hey guys, when you are watching YouTube and the screen goes off does YouTube stop streaming? If does for me. I was riding home and hooked my phone to my car audio to listen to some stuff. Screen went of an there you go. I was driving so didn't want to keep worrying about the screen but why would I want the screen to stay on anyway. Pandora doesn't shut off. Is it just me?

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

ROM
    Stock-Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Hey guys, when you are watching YouTube and the screen goes off does YouTube stop streaming? If does for me. I was riding home and hooked my phone to my car audio to listen to some stuff. Screen went of an there you go. I was driving so didn't want to keep worrying about the screen but why would I want the screen to stay on anyway. Pandora doesn't shut off. Is it just me?

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    It's a video, when the screen shuts off, it shuts off the whole video. If you want to listen to something like music, stick to Pandora our songza, or download the YouTube video in a mp3 format and listen to it from the music player.

You know what they say, all toasters toast toast.

Because YouTube is a video service. It's nothing like Pandora.

I don't see the option in the Development settings to keep your screen on when your phone is plugged in, so maybe you can find some kind of no-sleep app.

Personally I pay for music because I like to support the artists I listen to and jumping through hoops to hear something for free which you could literally buy for under a dollar seems redundant. Just pay for Spotify or straight up buy MP3s from Amazon or Google Play.

Sent from my rooted/stock Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

No I don't use YouTube for music. I wasn't really comparing it to pandora for content just comparing that both are streaming apps and pandora works with the screen off and YouTube doesn't. Never experienced this on any other device. And I don't want to keep my screen on so the battery can due even faster. It should still work. At least it did on my other devices. I guess it's video it assumes you are actually watching videos so it stops. Well I listen to prank call recordings for fun so there is no video only sound. Kinda sucks this doesn't work. Not a deal breaker though.

Thanks for the attempt.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

You answered your own question. That's exactly why it doesn't work.

Which device did this work on? Out of the dozen or so Android devices I've played with this have never worked for me.

There used to be an app called Ghost Town which stripped the audio from YouTube videos and would stream just that, but it got axed. Maybe there's something similar to that not in the Play Store.

Sent from my rooted/stock Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

Default Re: YouTube with screen off

While not a fix, I use an app called Screen On when I want to keep hearing audio from YouTube. You can designate apps that will keep the "Screen On" such as YouTube. Since keeping the screen on is a battery hog, I leave my cigarette adapter connected and have no issues when in the car.

Alternatively, you can make the app just keep the screen on all the time under the options if you launch it.

I use it on my tablet to keep my screen awake for the MSNBC stock app and it's worked great on my S III.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Pvstar+ let's you listen to YouTube with the screen off and in a different app. It also lets you make playlist and stuff. Check it out
    Thanked by 2:

There used to be what I call a feature (and Google probably called it a bug) that let it keep playing with the screen off. The "feature" was removed sometime around October 2011.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by TheAssailant View Post
    There used to be what I call a feature (and Google probably called it a bug) that let it keep playing with the screen off. The "feature" was removed sometime around October 2011.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Exactly. It didn't use to always be like this. I'll try the app the user suggested above to see if it will work. People with their wild suggestions and making assumptions are pretty entertaining. Thanks.
    Rudolphe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Exactly. It didn't use to always be like this. I'll try the app the user suggested above to see if it will work. People with their wild suggestions and making assumptions are pretty entertaining. Thanks.
    Agreed...entertaining but also pretty annoying. Not all videos on YouTube are music or something you need to watch, for instance, audio books, lectures, etc. Love when people come up with assumptions and say smart *** comments when in fact they're just ignorant.
    Rudolphe likes this.

Old thread dug up from the grave!

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

I have a YouTube app that plays even when the screen is off

I think it's called freedi YouTube player

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

exactly, not everything on YouTube requires watching.
    News, audiobooks, current event commentary, documentaries.

would love to listen to The YoungTurks while driving and save battery.

a rather good question, i have the exact same scenario and now i'm trying to find out if there's a setting of some sort to enable just audio play while screen is off.
    i actually do repair variety of cell phones myself and there are certain models that keep on playing while screen is off.
    and now my galaxy tab goes bleh, so yeah, still searching.

This is extremely annoying. I listen to a podcast that can be several hours long. It DOES NOT HAVE VIDEO! I dont want to waste the already terrible battery. I have had the same phone for close to a year and it used to work fine. It stopped working when i did a software upgrade about three months ago. I just upgraded again tonight thinking maybe they fixed it. of course they didnt. Why is this option not in the settings? im sure they have gotten complaints about this. FIX IT!!!

Don't understand why this thread keeps popping up every few weeks, there are apps that do what you want in the playstore, just take a look

I have 2 apps on my phone that do this
    Sent from my SPH-L710 running Liquid Smooth RC2 4.2.2
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Don't understand why this thread keeps popping up every few weeks, there are apps that do what you want in the playstore, just take a look
    I don't understand why people come into these old threads and post the same complaint without, apparently, reading the answers already given. Accava, there are several solutions to the problem provided in the posts right above yours. Instead of complaining, why don't you just solve the problem? No phone does everything every individual might want. But, as Apple used to say, "There's an app for that."
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Toaster don't toast toast...they toast bread!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dwappo View Post
    It's a video, when the screen shuts off, it shuts off the whole video. If you want to listen to something like music, stick to Pandora our songza, or download the YouTube video in a mp3 format and listen to it from the music player.

You know what they say, all toasters toast toast.
    Toasters don't toast toast...they toast bread!

Lightbulb Re: YouTube with screen off

Thank you veryy much

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    I have a YouTube app that plays even when the screen is off

I think it's called freedi YouTube player

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    I'll have to check this out, thanks for sharing!

shut the **** up stunned ****