Why such a long time for charging S3

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Odd. I use my cord and plug in that came with the phone and from low battery (like 10% or lower) it takes about 2 hours - 2 hours 15min to go to full. I always reboot then plug the phone in to charge. And I rarely use it while charging (maybe a few text messages) but that's it.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Mine worked fine for a short time, not long.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Download the app called Easy Battery Saver to help you.
The app will teach you how to charge your battery healthily. I download it on my htc one x and find it really helpful. May be you can have a try.

Teach you to charge it healthily?

You plug it in the charger, not Rocket Science.

petalm

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
My phone is taking extremely long to charge too, it wasnt this bad when i first got it 4 months ago, now it takes an inordinate amount of time, I cant even remember the last time I was able to let it charge to 100% simply because it takes too long. I also even conditioned the battery when i first started using it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My phone is taking extremely long to charge too, it wasnt this bad when i first got it 4 months ago, now it takes an inordinate amount of time, I cant even remember the last time I was able to let it charge to 100% simply because it takes too long. I also even conditioned the battery when i first started using it.

Well, there area few possibilities. First, try a different charger, cable and/or USB port. Bad cables have been known to cause problems, and it's easy to eliminate these three possibilities first.

If none of those are the culprit, give us some more data: Define "long time." If you charge it over night, at what percentage is your battery when you start and when you take it off the charger? After how many hours?

Are you charging from a wall outlet, or a USB port on your computer?

Are you trying to do things in the background (stream music or video, for example)?

Do you have the phone set to keep the screen on when charging? If so, at what brightness?

Try doing screen captures of your battery stats screens after the phone has been charging over night and posting them here.

BFJ_SgsIII

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Charging my GS3 with PC takes ages, with the wall charger I'm averaging on 2 hours 29 minutes, if you're using wall charger is the wall output strong enough have u tried others, are u using a wall charger with enough Amp?

Sent from my ridiculously awesome Galaxy S3 I9300

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am on Sprint but nabbed a Verizon charger the other day (just some normal Android charger) from one of their stores since it's near my work. Not going to lie.. My phone (with that charger only) charges pretty dang fast. I am always shocked. I can go from like 20 percent to 95+ in an hour and a half or so.. Nothing crazy but I do believe it's faster than my stock one that came with the phone.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
All chargers have their specs on the exterior. Why can't you just check the OEM charger and battety yourself, instead of complaining about other's responses.

My charges speeds are okay for me. Unlike tablets the S3 can charge from single digits to 100% well around a hour, and even faster with the wall charger.

All batteries are not the same, so the fact that a S3 takes longer to charge (with a larger battery) is not wrong.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What are you going on about? I don't see anyone complaining about your prior post. Or anyone else's post for that matter. People are posting their experiences and suggestions, just like you did.

But if you want a response, I'll point out the poster immediately above your previous post said she was using the OEM charger, so your advice to avoid 3rd party chargers wasn't germane.

wickedcontra

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have an HP touchpad touchstone charger. the plug says the output is 2.0 A. will it hurt my sgs3? can i use this? i saw on previous post that theres a charger for a blackberry thats a little lower then this.. so will this help or hurt?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No, it won't hurt.

You can use any USB charger to charge the S3. Chargers don't "push" current, the device draws it, and the GS3 won't draw more than about 800 milliamps (mA), according to one forum member who says he's tested it, no matter what the maximum output of the charger is. All USB chargers should put out 5 volts. (If one doesn't, it's defective.)

I think the stock GS3 charger puts out 700 mA, so your HP charger will allow the phone to draw its max of 800 mA, rather than limiting it to 700 mA. So assuming everything else is working correctly it would charge slightly faster.

samsung17

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
QUESTION EVERYONE, how come my Galaxy S3 takes 6 HOURS or more before full charge? I have the same scenario every time I charge. Hoping for the best answer for this. Thank you!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, I really don't know. You haven't given us the tiniest bit of information to help debug the problem. First, have you read any of the questions and suggestions already posted in this thread? If not start there. If so, tell us what you've already tried, and we'll be happy to try to help.

wickedcontra

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your answer. i tried the 2A charger from the hp touchpad it was at 2 %. i turned off the phone to charge it. it took 2 hours 45 minutes to charge to 100.
I notice on previous occasions that it takes longer to charge the phone when its off. is that true?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your answer. i tried the 2A charger from the hp touchpad it was at 2 %. i turned off the phone to charge it. it took 2 hours 45 minutes to charge to 100.
I notice on previous occasions that it takes longer to charge the phone when its off. is that true?

If anything, should take less time off, nothing is using battery.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

That sounds about right. If the S3 battery capacity is 2100mA, and the phone charges at 800 mA, then a full charge would take 2100 / 800 = 2.6 hours.

I've not tested it, but logically I would expect it to charge faster when off, since the phone won't be drawing any current from the battery. But I have no idea how the phone's circuitry works, so I guess it's possible that for some reason it draws less current from the charger when it's off.

Daniel Wilken

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
"QUESTION EVERYONE, how come my Galaxy S3 takes 6 HOURS or more before full charge? I have the same scenario every time I charge. Hoping for the best answer for this. Thank you!"

I have also experienced something like this . I use Samsung Galaxy s3, it would be on 70% i put the phone off completely then charge it for 1hour and half to two hours and it only charges 10% up .

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
"QUESTION EVERYONE, how come my Galaxy S3 takes 6 HOURS or more before full charge? I have the same scenario every time I charge. Hoping for the best answer for this. Thank you!"

I have also experienced something like this . I use Samsung Galaxy s3, it would be on 70% i put the phone off completely then charge it for 1hour and half to two hours and it only charges 10% up .

This phone typically pulls charge power at two rates. There is a slow rate if it believes it is plugged into the USB port on a PC. That is around 300ma. Any more might damage the PC. Then there is a fast "AC charger" rate if the charger is configured right and once the phone is sure it is not plugged into a PC. That is around 800ma.
I never checked, but when the phone is powered off, it may always charge at the slow rate, since the processor can't determine the charger type. That would come close to 12% per hour. And since the processor wasn't monitoring the charge current, it has to guess at the battery percentage change. So I can believe it thought it was roughly 10%.

Just curious. When would anyone turn off and leave off their phone like that?

raf24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
guys i had the same problem with my 2 month old s3, It would take up to 10 hours to fully charge but then i noticed something: I looked at the usb pins of the cord, one was missing, whereas my old nokia usb cable had all the pins, so i tried the nokia cord with the samsung charger and it went back to 2 hrs of charging time. SO CHECK THE FOR ANY MISSING PIN ON THE USB CABLE.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance