Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Default Re: Why such a long time for charging S3

QUESTION EVERYONE, how come my Galaxy S3 takes 6 HOURS or more before full charge? I have the same scenario every time I charge. Hoping for the best answer for this. Thank you!

Well, I really don't know. You haven't given us the tiniest bit of information to help debug the problem. First, have you read any of the questions and suggestions already posted in this thread? If not start there. If so, tell us what you've already tried, and we'll be happy to try to help.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Thank you for your answer. i tried the 2A charger from the hp touchpad it was at 2 %. i turned off the phone to charge it. it took 2 hours 45 minutes to charge to 100.
    I notice on previous occasions that it takes longer to charge the phone when its off. is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedcontra View Post
    Thank you for your answer. i tried the 2A charger from the hp touchpad it was at 2 %. i turned off the phone to charge it. it took 2 hours 45 minutes to charge to 100.
    I notice on previous occasions that it takes longer to charge the phone when its off. is that true?
    If anything, should take less time off, nothing is using battery.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

I'll take it/!!!! Charge at v night.... And keep notifications to a minimal

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wickedcontra View Post
    That sounds about right. If the S3 battery capacity is 2100mA, and the phone charges at 800 mA, then a full charge would take 2100 / 800 = 2.6 hours.

I've not tested it, but logically I would expect it to charge faster when off, since the phone won't be drawing any current from the battery. But I have no idea how the phone's circuitry works, so I guess it's possible that for some reason it draws less current from the charger when it's off.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

"QUESTION EVERYONE, how come my Galaxy S3 takes 6 HOURS or more before full charge? I have the same scenario every time I charge. Hoping for the best answer for this. Thank you!"

I have also experienced something like this . I use Samsung Galaxy s3, it would be on 70% i put the phone off completely then charge it for 1hour and half to two hours and it only charges 10% up .

Maybe you need to restart your phone.

Global Posts
    878 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Wilken View Post
    "QUESTION EVERYONE, how come my Galaxy S3 takes 6 HOURS or more before full charge? I have the same scenario every time I charge. Hoping for the best answer for this. Thank you!"

I have also experienced something like this . I use Samsung Galaxy s3, it would be on 70% i put the phone off completely then charge it for 1hour and half to two hours and it only charges 10% up .

This phone typically pulls charge power at two rates. There is a slow rate if it believes it is plugged into the USB port on a PC. That is around 300ma. Any more might damage the PC. Then there is a fast "AC charger" rate if the charger is configured right and once the phone is sure it is not plugged into a PC. That is around 800ma.
    I never checked, but when the phone is powered off, it may always charge at the slow rate, since the processor can't determine the charger type. That would come close to 12% per hour. And since the processor wasn't monitoring the charge current, it has to guess at the battery percentage change. So I can believe it thought it was roughly 10%.

Just curious. When would anyone turn off and leave off their phone like that?

guys i had the same problem with my 2 month old s3, It would take up to 10 hours to fully charge but then i noticed something: I looked at the usb pins of the cord, one was missing, whereas my old nokia usb cable had all the pins, so i tried the nokia cord with the samsung charger and it went back to 2 hrs of charging time. SO CHECK THE FOR ANY MISSING PIN ON THE USB CABLE.

Haha....it takes you 2-3 hours for a full charge for me it takes 6 hrs for a charge of 44%.

Quote Originally Posted by Amrita Singh View Post
    Haha....it takes you 2-3 hours for a full charge for me it takes 6 hrs for a charge of 44%.
    Something is not right with your phone, your charging cable, or your charger. Are you using the included AC charger, or charging from a computer? Have you tried a different cable or charger or computer, or even a different USB port on the same computer? Are you charging with phone on or off?

Hi. I looked through the answers and found the most likely cause of my slow charging issue. The USB cable has a missing pin!! Thank you very much for the tip, raf24. Much appreciated. :-) Will be back to update after I get it exchanged since it is still under warranty.

Changed the USB cable from SSC and battery could charge again in reasonable time, about 2 hours from 10% to 100%. I bought a new Note 2 charger with output 2.0A. Super fast! Could charge to full in about an hour or so. Nothing to do with having 4 or 5 pin in the usb port.

Quote Originally Posted by iphart View Post
    This is the only thing that really bugs me about S3. If you are down to 10%, it takes a minimun of 2-3 hrs for a full charge. Are there any non stock chargers that would charge faster??

With my iphone 4 at 10%, when I plug it in, it takes about 30-45 minutes for a full charge.

I hope Samsung fixes this with a firmware upgrade.

Buy the nexus 10 charger if possible. I tried charging my samsung s3 with a nexus 10 charger (because i have nexus 10 and it's made by samsung) and charged in under an hour. Done it countless times so far. Other nexus are from different companies so i wouldn't recommend it.

It's convenient enough for me to buy a spare battery for contingency days (since charging became much faster). I didn't use the old charger since then.

Cool Re: Why such a long time for charging S3

Okay, so the problem with the S3, is that since it has a battery with a big capacity of 3.8 V (2100 mAh) it takes definitely a longer time to charge than let's say a BB or HTC.

But this problem is easily solved, when you will be looking for a "GOOD" Battery charger, look for it's specifications and under "OUTPUT:" you should be looking for a big number ranging from 1500 mAH to 2100 mAH. The bigger number = the faster the charge
    I personally lost my battery charger so when I was looking for a new one this shopkeeper recommended me a charger with an OUTPUT: 2100mAH. Now it takes me only an hour to charge the S3

I have had the same issue just recently with my S3 and the issue was the cable that came with the phone. I bought a new charging cable and plugged it into my a/c adapter that came with the phone and it is charging just like it did before (about 1% per minute). It was definitely not the battery for me. I hope this helps. I got the cable for $20.

HELP!!

My phone takes 5-6 hours to charge on wall.

In the past 2 hours it's on 18% now 17.

What's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung888 View Post
    What's the problem?
    Probably the wall charger or the cable (if they're separate try both).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Probably the wall charger or the cable (if they're separate try both).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Ok. Also drains a percent after 4 min.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung888 View Post
    Also drains a percent after 4 min.
    That's a different issue, and is addressed in your other thread.

The prongs on the bottem of ur phone are probly bent to far down to slip in the charger. I had to bend mine up and it's charging super fast

Posted via Android Central App

Ur prongs on the bottom are most likely bent down bend them back up alittle

Posted via Android Central App

5-6 hours is rally bad. Something wrong with the charger. Try with a spare b

Sent from my HTC One

Sorry for the late bump, but this thread helped me a lot.

Ever since the 4.3 update (I always thought this was just a coincidence), my charge takes 3-5 hours. Usually it takes 4 hours. It used to take 2 hours.

Charging from the car is quick, and I noticed charging from my PC takes pretty much the same amount as time as the wall charger (4 hours). What was the problem?

I tried using my ASUS TFT300 charger (1.2A) and I saw a little improvement. I got it charged at 3 hours. That was at least bearable.

By doing what everyone else suggested here: changing the USB cable, that made a world of difference. I am using my Logitech remote cable. Now I am back to 2-2.5 hours to charge. As dumb as this reason sounded, that was it.

Thanks for your help!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123