Why such a long time for charging S3

iphart

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
This is the only thing that really bugs me about S3. If you are down to 10%, it takes a minimun of 2-3 hrs for a full charge. Are there any non stock chargers that would charge faster??

With my iphone 4 at 10%, when I plug it in, it takes about 30-45 minutes for a full charge.

I hope Samsung fixes this with a firmware upgrade.

lebox97

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Higher capacity (33%) bigger batteries (more mAh)
Take (33%) longer to charge...

Use a higher mAh charger to charge it faster.

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
This is the only thing that really bugs me about S3. If you are down to 10%, it takes a minimun of 2-3 hrs for a full charge. Are there any non stock chargers that would charge faster??

With my iphone 4 at 10%, when I plug it in, it takes about 30-45 minutes for a full charge.

The reason it takes longer is because the battery is so much bigger. Imagine your one car has a gas tank that's twice as big as the other one... it takes more time to fill the car with a larger tank.

And umm... battery charging rates is not something that can be fixed with a software patch... lol

Reactions: bradenfontaine

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to bore you with math but he's right you guys. Even with the gs3's bigger battery it still doesn't add up when you get down to the math.

But can we answer his question. Is the Samsung charger that came with this phone already charging at the fastest possible charging speed or can it charge a little bit faster... basically what charger do we need to get in order to charge this baby at the fastest rate possible?

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to bore you with math but he's right you guys. Even with the gs3's bigger battery it still doesn't add up when you get down to the math.

But can we answer his question. Is the Samsung charger that came with this phone already charging at the fastest possible charging speed or can it charge a little bit faster... basically what charger do we need to get in order to charge this baby at the fastest rate possible?

So its a 2100 Mah battery, which in theory means the battery would charge at 2.1 amps without the phone in the loop, but I doubt the phone would take anywhere near that. The Sammy charger is a 1 amp charger, which means from 0 it could take around 2 hours to fully charge...

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
mine takes 2+half hours and i think thats great.. if thats not fast enough then buy a low capacity battery lol. ive never heard of a blackberry so powerful and with such a big beautiful screen :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
p.s.. it doesnt matter what charger you use.. i sometimes use an old bb charger coz the wire is longer and more flexible (hold onto your old bb chargers, theyr good)

seabass

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Try killing all the tasks or anything that would use battery life, or just turn the phone off. I'm sure that would help a bit.

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site

It takes less than 60 seconds to go from 0% to 100%. It's called installing another battery that is charged. If the wait time of 2-3 hours is really a killer for you, buy the oem Samsung charger and battery for around $35 bucks. This way, you have the official charger for your spare battery that won't keep charging the battery at max capacity after 100% is reached.
And you can be assured that between two batteries you will get a full days use, even at 100% brightness and screen on the entire work day.

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
It takes less than 60 seconds to go from 0% to 100%. It's called installing another battery that is charged. If the wait time of 2-3 hours is really a killer for you, buy the oem Samsung charger and battery for around $35 bucks. This way, you have the official charger for your spare battery that won't keep charging the battery at max capacity after 100% is reached.
And you can be assured that between two batteries you will get a full days use, even at 100% brightness and screen on the entire work day.

That sounds tempting, but I feel like it would be a hassle to be removing my battery all the time. Especially with a case on. I would prefer a rapid charger like the BlackBerry one shown earlier.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
My Droid 2 used to charge faster as well.... but it had a 1420mah battery whereas my S3 is 2100mah. When considering the battery size difference I think the charging time difference between the two seems about right.

Rev.

_OMEGA_

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
That sounds tempting, but I feel like it would be a hassle to be removing my battery all the time. Especially with a case on. I would prefer a rapid charger like the BlackBerry one shown earlier.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

Are you kidding me?! A hassle in removing the case and cover to swap batteries vs being attached to the charger? Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I noticed this too when I first got it. The phone does charge slowly. Even accounting for the bigger battery, it still takes longer than comparable other phones.

Also, changing chargers doesn't seem to do much, I've tried other chargers that were capable of putting out more than twice as much current as the charger that shipped with the phone and it made a negligible difference.

-Suntan