Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Default Why such a long time for charging S3

This is the only thing that really bugs me about S3. If you are down to 10%, it takes a minimun of 2-3 hrs for a full charge. Are there any non stock chargers that would charge faster??

With my iphone 4 at 10%, when I plug it in, it takes about 30-45 minutes for a full charge.

I hope Samsung fixes this with a firmware upgrade.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Why such a long time for charging S3

That annoys me too. With my blackberry, it takes around 1.5 hours to charge from 0-100%, 1% per minute.

Iphone battery = 1420mah

S3 = 2100mah

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Higher capacity (33%) bigger batteries (more mAh)
    Take (33%) longer to charge...

Use a higher mAh charger to charge it faster.

Quote Originally Posted by iphart View Post
    This is the only thing that really bugs me about S3. If you are down to 10%, it takes a minimun of 2-3 hrs for a full charge. Are there any non stock chargers that would charge faster??

With my iphone 4 at 10%, when I plug it in, it takes about 30-45 minutes for a full charge.

The reason it takes longer is because the battery is so much bigger. Imagine your one car has a gas tank that's twice as big as the other one... it takes more time to fill the car with a larger tank.

And umm... battery charging rates is not something that can be fixed with a software patch... lol
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,859 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

I don't want to bore you with math but he's right you guys. Even with the gs3's bigger battery it still doesn't add up when you get down to the math.

But can we answer his question. Is the Samsung charger that came with this phone already charging at the fastest possible charging speed or can it charge a little bit faster... basically what charger do we need to get in order to charge this baby at the fastest rate possible?

This charger works pretty dang fast on my S3.
    Roboticz and richcuffs like this.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    I don't want to bore you with math but he's right you guys. Even with the gs3's bigger battery it still doesn't add up when you get down to the math.

But can we answer his question. Is the Samsung charger that came with this phone already charging at the fastest possible charging speed or can it charge a little bit faster... basically what charger do we need to get in order to charge this baby at the fastest rate possible?
    So its a 2100 Mah battery, which in theory means the battery would charge at 2.1 amps without the phone in the loop, but I doubt the phone would take anywhere near that. The Sammy charger is a 1 amp charger, which means from 0 it could take around 2 hours to fully charge...

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

mine takes 2+half hours and i think thats great.. if thats not fast enough then buy a low capacity battery lol. ive never heard of a blackberry so powerful and with such a big beautiful screen
    Thanked by:
    neiljay6 and iphart like this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

p.s.. it doesnt matter what charger you use.. i sometimes use an old bb charger coz the wire is longer and more flexible (hold onto your old bb chargers, theyr good)
    Orlan2 likes this.

Try killing all the tasks or anything that would use battery life, or just turn the phone off. I'm sure that would help a bit.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Samsung phone always do that my ns4g takes a while to charge while on but quick when its off

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    ΣΛΤ ΜΣ

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by iphart View Post

It takes less than 60 seconds to go from 0% to 100%. It's called installing another battery that is charged. If the wait time of 2-3 hours is really a killer for you, buy the oem Samsung charger and battery for around $35 bucks. This way, you have the official charger for your spare battery that won't keep charging the battery at max capacity after 100% is reached.
    And you can be assured that between two batteries you will get a full days use, even at 100% brightness and screen on the entire work day.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Covart View Post
    It takes less than 60 seconds to go from 0% to 100%. It's called installing another battery that is charged. If the wait time of 2-3 hours is really a killer for you, buy the oem Samsung charger and battery for around $35 bucks. This way, you have the official charger for your spare battery that won't keep charging the battery at max capacity after 100% is reached.
    And you can be assured that between two batteries you will get a full days use, even at 100% brightness and screen on the entire work day.

That sounds tempting, but I feel like it would be a hassle to be removing my battery all the time. Especially with a case on. I would prefer a rapid charger like the BlackBerry one shown earlier.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

My Droid 2 used to charge faster as well.... but it had a 1420mah battery whereas my S3 is 2100mah. When considering the battery size difference I think the charging time difference between the two seems about right.

Rev.
    Galaxy S5
    Ubuntu Linux 12.04
    IT Tech

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    My Droid 2 used to charge faster as well.... but it had a 1420mah battery whereas my S3 is 2100mah. When considering the battery size difference I think the charging time difference between the two seems about right.

Rev.
    exactly mate

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!!!

My vzw nexus charges in about an hour from 0-100. This is with the 2100mah extended battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Splange View Post
    That sounds tempting, but I feel like it would be a hassle to be removing my battery all the time. Especially with a case on. I would prefer a rapid charger like the BlackBerry one shown earlier.

Are you kidding me?! A hassle in removing the case and cover to swap batteries vs being attached to the charger? Whatever floats your boat I guess.
    Thanked by:
    bwsettles likes this.

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Mine charges pretty quickly actually, at least for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

FWIW, I noticed this too when I first got it. The phone does charge slowly. Even accounting for the bigger battery, it still takes longer than comparable other phones.

Also, changing chargers doesn't seem to do much, I've tried other chargers that were capable of putting out more than twice as much current as the charger that shipped with the phone and it made a negligible difference.

-Suntan

I have no idea how long it takes to charge since I have about 15 to 20% left after my typical workday.

It is usually off the charger for a good 18 hours.

Sent from my US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _OMEGA_ View Post
    Are you kidding me?! A hassle in removing the case and cover to swap batteries vs being attached to the charger? Whatever floats your boat I guess.
    The case I have is a very thick, rigid tpu material and fits tightly to the phone. It looks very nice but doesn't come off easily.

Also if it's a fast charger, I wouldn't really be attached to it for long . I could just leave it in for like twenty minutes to keep it up the rest of the day . I do my serious charging at night, when I sleep.

My S3 used to charge from 10% to 100% in about 2-3 hrs with the stock wall charger it came with. Now from 10% to 40% in 4 hrs. Can anybody tell me what could be wrong?

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by kurse667 View Post
    My S3 used to charge from 10% to 100% in about 2-3 hrs with the stock wall charger it came with. Now from 10% to 40% in 4 hrs. Can anybody tell me what could be wrong?
    is this with phone on or off?
    if off then all i can think of is bent pins in the usb jack or something..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kurse667 View Post
    Install Battery Monitor Widget and run it a few days. Report back what it records for charge current, and weather is shows your charger as a USB charger or an AC charger.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast