Question about putting att sgs3 in roaming mode

MeNTaIPaTleNT

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I am from New Jersey and recently traveled to Aruba for my honeymoon. Before I left, I made sure the 2 options were unchecked under setup->more settings->mobile networks. Text messages were still coming in when I landed in Aruba. I also received a text message from att saying international charges for data is $19.95/mb which is insane.

Basically I've had to keep my phone in airplane mode so far to avoid text messages coming through. I'm on the hotels Wifi network in the lobby right now.

How do I just turn off text messages coming through but leave on my phone network incase I need to be reached in the event of an emergency?

MeNTaIPaTleNT

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I took the phone out of airplane mode to check that setting and it was already unchecked. In the 1min that I took airplane mode off, I received 3 text messages, lol.

jman5

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I can't say for sure since I have Verizon, but text messages are prob not using packet data unless using Google voice, etc. In that case, if your phone is on and international roaming is enabled, texts would come thru. You'd need to call at&t to disable. However, Verizon is usually 5 cents for incoming texts and 50 cents to send internationally...if at&t is similar, that isn't to bad imo too receive.

I'd be more concerned with incoming voice calls - I remember reading a long time ago on tmo that if you pressed ignore on an incoming call while roaming, it would charge a minute for the call to come thru internationally, then another to route it to your voicemail. Think the only way to avoid this was to fwd to your voicemail before leaving US. Don't know at&t tho

BTW, congrats

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2