S3 not being recognised as media device by computer

Alex Risdon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Even when set as media device on the s3, my computer is only recognising it as a camera so I can not put anything on it, I have been sitting on my computer all day trying to fix it. I have had the s3 for 1 day now. Has anyone had this problem? How do I fix this?

On the device manager I can't find anything to do with MTP to update. USB debugging is active.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
have a look through the first four pages of this forum and i think youll find the solution man. i DEFO remember reading about what your asking on here

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
pull down the notification bar. It should say connected as camera device or something like that. Click it. The next screen should let you change it to MTP and let it be read as a media device

ibleedbloo

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem. I did a few things am and not really sure what fixed it, but it works. I uninstalled Keis and all the Samsung drivers and then reinstalled. Also powered off phone and did a battery pull then restarted. I also think I had the Microsd card out when I restarted but don't think that should make a difference.
After doing those steps everything worked. Not sure what did it but just glad it worked.

Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Alex Risdon

jhon108

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
had a similar problem connecting my S3 Galaxy with drivers not installing properly and messages saying USB device malfunctioning and despite being able to charge the phone it was not being recognised as a mass storage device or offering me an option on the phone as to what i would like it to connect to the pc as until.....
i changed my USB cable !!
go figure.... i had read some posts that had suggested this, and in the end after trying all the on phone settings from debugging to what ever else i could try this is what worked ...new cable ..drivers installed themselves ....selected use as media device on phone from notificaton menu....double clicked my Computer and opened Phone to display media....and was then also able to select USB tethering to allow connection to the internet which is what kicked this all off in the first place ....
.hope this helps some others....
what i also discovered during this process was how to set the phone up as a wi fi hotspot...i just followed a neat you tube detailing this and was at least able to connect my laptop to the internet while i sorted out the rest of my problem

How to Setup Samsung Galaxy S3 as a WiFi HotSpot SIII GT-i9300 - YouTube

paresh996

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Easier than anything else!!!!!!

OK So, I had this problem too.
My phone was not detected as MTP by the computer.
My phone didn't detect that it was attached to a PC.
On my PC --It didn't work.
Another PC --It didn't work.
Even another PC --It didn't work.
Mac --It didn't work.
Tried all sorts of things written on many websites. --It didn't work.
There was no MTP option in the status bar. It just always charged using the PC.
THEN... Finally 1 day, when I was looking at the back of my CPU (PC ) I saw my USB 3.0 Ports (the Blue ones). I had never connected anything to them. So,
Tried on a USB 3.0 Port --It WORKED!
My phone was immediately detected as MTP. The option showed up in the status bar. I could transfer files. But then- What about my USB 2.0 Ports?
Then I did the following :
Dialed *#7248# for the PhoneUtil options.
Under 'UART' tap MODEM. Under USB, PDA.
If this is already your setting, choose the another ones (PDA for UART and MODEM for USB) and then tap SAVE and RESET.
Again dial *#7248# for the PhoneUtil options.
Under 'UART' tap MODEM. Under USB, PDA. Finally tap SAVE and RESET.
Your phone will now be detected as MTP with all types of USB Ports now.

jamieguitar

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Easier than anything else!!!!!!

I had the same problem as some. The GSIII was connected to my PC via USB. It was powering, but not recognized as a media device. I tried changing with different cables. Same result. Then, I plugged into a different USB port and it worked. I don't know what is going on, since the orginal USB port had worked for me in the past, but whatever, it's connecting as a media device now.

Damn! Right after typing the above, it again is not recognizing again!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Just a note that *#7248# doesn't work on all phones - certainly not on Verizon.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Shawn Contreras

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
had a similar problem connecting my S3 Galaxy with drivers not installing properly and messages saying USB device malfunctioning and despite being able to charge the phone it was not being recognised as a mass storage device or offering me an option on the phone as to what i would like it to connect to the pc as until.....
i changed my USB cable !!
go figure.... i had read some posts that had suggested this, and in the end after trying all the on phone settings from debugging to what ever else i could try this is what worked ...new cable ..drivers installed themselves ....selected use as media device on phone from notificaton menu....double clicked my Computer and opened Phone to display media....and was then also able to select USB tethering to allow connection to the internet which is what kicked this all off in the first place ....
.hope this helps some others....
what i also discovered during this process was how to set the phone up as a wi fi hotspot...i just followed a neat you tube detailing this and was at least able to connect my laptop to the internet while i sorted out the rest of my problem

How to Setup Samsung Galaxy S3 as a WiFi HotSpot SIII GT-i9300 - YouTube

OMG, it was the freaking USB cable this whole time. Thank you -- even though it got to me a year later. I tried literally everything (Even factory resetting my device) and it was the damn cable that came with my phone that was the problem. Thank you, xoxoxo.

hsinghal

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I have solved this problem.

1. install kies
2. connect device in mtp mode
3. run kies and go to tools menu
4. choose reinstall device drivers and done

regards

Ali3356

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Dear

I had the same problem the issue was the PC driver.Firstly, I turned off driver one by one and listen to the computer until I heard the sound of plugin USB. Secondly, I dialed *#7284# on the phone and changed from UART to PDA and it worked.

Thanks

waxrat

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Power cycling my phone fixed the problem.
It wasn't enough to just restart my phone, I had to pop the battery.

I tried all of the suggestions cited in this thread but nothing had any effect.
Different cable, different USB ports, different computer, reboot the computer, reinstall the drivers, reinstall Kies, restart my phone.
No effect.

Then a few days later after I had given up, my phone suddenly powered itself off (i.e., it crashed).
To bring it back to life I had to remove the battery.
Then suddenly the MTP client started working again.

S_P

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I have solved this problem.

1. install kies
2. connect device in mtp mode
3. run kies and go to tools menu
4. choose reinstall device drivers and done

regards

Terrible response to their problem. The OP could not get the phone to connect in MTP mode... so tell them to "just put it in MTP mode" isn't helpful.

ihavegoodcredit

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I had two phones with the same issue, first one was resolved b/c of the data cable, the 2nd one was this, after reinstalling everything, kies, drivers, trying different USB ports, restarting... I removed the battery and PRESTO... thanks!

charliebrown1693

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Even when set as media device on the s3, my computer is only recognising it as a camera so I can not put anything on it, I have been sitting on my computer all day trying to fix it. I have had the s3 for 1 day now. Has anyone had this problem? How do I fix this?

On the device manager I can't find anything to do with MTP to update. USB debugging is active.